Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land Permission

Options
  • 15-10-2006 1:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have decided 100% on shotgun. :D
    There is more 'facilities' if you will for shooting.
    Riffle bullet distance is too long as you all know for field shooting.
    I always wanted the outdoor factor of shooting so therefore enclosed target shooting would not appeal to me.
    Also i really like clay pigeon shooting!

I have my gun picked. Its a lanber. Costing me ;

800 For the shot gun
    180 for a 4 gun safe

Now all i need is permission to shoot on some-ones land for my license.
    Does anyone own land/know anyone who owns land who would be willing to give permission.

Also is there anyone here i could go shooting with?
    Dont know if thats not 'the way its done' but it would be good to go out with someone who knows the sport.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 wex

st3vo wrote:
    Hi,

I have decided 100% on shotgun. :D
    There is more 'facilities' if you will for shooting.
    Riffle bullet distance is too long as you all know for field shooting.
    I always wanted the outdoor factor of shooting so therefore enclosed target shooting would not appeal to me.
    Also i really like clay pigeon shooting!

I have my gun picked. Its a lanber. Costing me ;

800 For the shot gun
    180 for a 4 gun safe

Now all i need is permission to shoot on some-ones land for my license.
    Does anyone own land/know anyone who owns land who would be willing to give permission.

Also is there anyone here i could go shooting with?
    Dont know if thats not 'the way its done' but it would be good to go out with someone who knows the sport.

Thanks in advance

Getting the permission is the hard part, but it helps to know another gun in your area, which i am assumin is Louth/Meath.
    I have some rights on local land, but unfortunatly i am not allowed to take another gun at this stage, but if it changes i will let you know.
    Getting membership to a club is pretty hard, i have tried several within the area and am on a waitin list, but could be on it for a year ive been told.
    I had a little luck with an ad in the Drog Indo. As long as you are happy to help with vermin control and have proof of insurance to show the land owner/farmer most are ok, so long as their land is not already earmarked for specific clubs.
    You could try knockin onthe farm house door, but dont turn up in full camo gear with half a ton of decoyin kit on your back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

I have often considered the ol' "ah sure ill just knock on the door approach" to see if i can get more land, as i dont think you can ever have too much land to shoot over, however im a bit on the young side of things and well, im not too sure how paddy and mary will respond to me askin if they mind me shootin over and around their prize herd and heffer!!! Has anyone done this before and if so what was the experience of just wandering up to the house??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Slow down and relax my friend...

take your time and have a look around regarding guns to buy and places to shoot.

As the young bull said to the old bull,

''lets run down to the meadow and ride one of the cows.......

Old bull says,

''relax, lets walk down and ride them all''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 wex

Chopperdog wrote:
    Slow down and relax my friend...

take your time and have a look around regarding guns to buy and places to shoot.

As the young bull said to the old bull,

''lets run down to the meadow and ride one of the cows.......

Old bull says,

''relax, lets walk down and ride them all''

I agree chopper, take it easy, you will find it will all pop into place after a while. I have tried the knockin on door approach, and it worked quite well. But I had a reference if you like from another farmer, ie hello my name is..... i shoot on such and such land, and farmer joe said you were having problems with pigeons this year.As long as you are pleasant and open it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

Chopperdog is right, don't buy a Lanber:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭st3vo

Thanks for all the reply lads.

Going out o my first day's training in Courtlough on sunday.
    Cant wait!

Why not buy Lanber?? I was told there very good by allot of people!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I got two permissions (over 400 acres) by driving up country roads and talking to anybody i saw driving a tractor,ask them do they have a bit of land where you could shoot some pigeons or a rabbit.It helps a LOT if you h ave public liability insurance,i got mine from Countryside alliance ireland which are based in courtlough.Assuming the farmer doesnt take some sort of a dislike to you the two main reasons he'd give for saying no are 1) there's horses nearby and 2)the land is preserved by a gun club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

st3vo wrote:
    Thanks for all the reply lads.

Going out o my first day's training in Courtlough on sunday.
    Cant wait!

Why not buy Lanber?? I was told there very good by allot of people!

Hmmm....so, somebody else asks about a Lanber, and the responses immediately dry up. Bit of a trend here, methinks.

I've been shooting with a 30" barrel 2097 for the past coupla months, without any troubles. In fact, I've found it so good that I'll be buying one myself in the near future. I asked for some opinions on this very model here, but the answers must've been drowned out by gunfire. :rolleyes: Or possibly stolen by some dodgy looking blokes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Lanber are one of the best value shotguns going. I haven't heard very much informed criticism about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭flight93

I konow sevral people who have good experiences but also sevral who have had bad experiences with Lanber, including me! Mine was brand new, 12 ga under and over, multi choke. Looked fine, not too pricey. But first it started misfiring alot after only a few hundread rounds. Then soon after the final straw, I loaded it, closed it fully and it fell open!I refused to shoot it again. I brought it back to the dealer he looked at it and luckely for me it did the same for him. In fairness to the dealer he gave me my money back in full, so I bought a brand new Browning from him and I have never looked back! Never ever again will I buy a Lanber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I've seen faulty Berettas, Brownings and one notable Perazzi. Lanbers didn't seem to have a higher than normal fault rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭flight93

I dont agree. In general even after many years and many thousands of rounds Berettas, Brownings etc. do not give trouble. They are in a completely different leauge to Lanber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

Yikes, 93! That's not what I'd call a good experience. I've seen a Browning do the very same thing, mind you it was over 20 years old. :)

Still, since Lanber are, apparently, the best selling brand in Britain, can they really, generally, be that bad? You can get bad examples in any production run, regardless of brand. Good to hear your experience, though, as all I've heard about Lanbers (and experienced first-hand) has been positive.

Advertisement