Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unfairly Clamped

Options
  • 15-10-2006 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

last nite i drove into town and parked on Dolier Street where i thought was leagal, we sat in the car where we parked, we were disgussing where to go, Q-bar or go back to tomangos,
    we were in the car for no longer than 5 minuites, so we decided to go into Q-bar me and two others walked around to Q-bar other two young ones went to the
    shop across the road, they met us around outside at the club and said i was getting clamped ran back around and the clamp was on the car, debated the
    clamp like anyone would, saying that we were gone for no less than 5 minuites, he said that his boss passed the car around 10 minuites ago and got radio'd to clamp it, just wondering does the car have
    to be unattened for a set time before they can clamp? also where it got clamped my back wheel was in a loading zone which was legal and the other 3/4 of the car was
    parked illegaly in a taxi rank, and the fella who clamped me said if i has been 1/2 a foot back he wouldnt of clamped me!!!!

All this seems a bit unfair, i know i know they all say that but this really does seem a unfair

ALSO does anybody know the ways to get an a appel, i checked www.dsps.ie but its all done by post rather talk to someone rarther than phone.

thanks

-VB-

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

What specifically do you think is unfair? Why do you think the normal rules don't apply to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

was gone all of 1 minuite i thought that they had to wait a specific time whilst my car is unattended before they could clamp my car.

i dont think that normal dosent apply to me just want a bit of clarification
    -VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

How long were you planning to spend in Qbar leaving the car there?

till 3, if i came out and the car was clamped after 4 hours i'd say fair enough, but the fact that i walked around to Qbar and ran back around to my car and they had the clamp on is a bit much.

-VB-

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You were parked both in a loading bay and on a taxi rank. Is the loading bay 24/7? Is the taxi rank 24/7?

• Advertisement

Loading bay was 07.00-19.00 the taxi rank was operational 24hr
    And being a sat nite not one was on the rank they were all on the roads, i know thats no excuse.

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Volvoboy wrote:
    till 3, if i came out and the car was clamped after 4 hours i'd say fair enough, but the fact that i walked around to Qbar and ran back around to my car and they had the clamp on is a bit much.

-VB-

I presume you left a note on your car to say you would be back in 5minutes and thats why your moaning? How was he to know you were going to be 5minutes or not. Jayus your clutching at straws here BIG time. If your friend hadn't of told you your car was been clamped you would have been inside for for a couple of hours. I would say that it was fully justified and you deserve what happened. The next time you go into town leave the car at home? Where you drinking as well? it could have worse if you were.

Jaysus i remember when i first posted on this board people answerd your questions.

DO THEY HAVE A SET TIME OF A CAR BEING UNATTENED BEFORE THEY CAN CLAMP IT?!?!?!?!?!?!? FFS!!!

I don't drink and dont see the point on spending money on a taxi when i can go home in the comfort of my own car.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Volvoboy has a good point. In Cork when clamping was first introduced, people were given a 20min/30min warning, which I think was very reasonable. first a big yellow sticker was placed on the window by a guy in a moped, and then the van came. I am quite sure this practice was quietly done away with so as to boost the coffers.

This isn't a police state.

God I hate self righteous people.

Even if they put a sticker on your car, you would not have been back in time. Only for your friend saw that the car was been clamped you wouldn't have known about it. You got clamped beacuse it was parked illegally. You only ahve yourself to blame. The next time you drive into town on the weekend look for a 24hr car park.

• Advertisement

There is a time period AFAIK. However, as you were parked within a taxi rank a different set of rules apply and I don't believe that you are given any sympathy by DSPS because you shouldn't be there regardless of how many taxis are there.

Even if they put a sticker on your car, you would not have been back in time.
    I was across the road.
    . Only for your friend saw that the car was been clamped you wouldn't have known about it.
    I know

*bangs head off rake*

-VB-

Volvoboy wrote:
    I was across the road.

OK so that makes it alright, I am sure the person who clamped you across the road knows everyone he clamps? And if he was any sort of decent bloke he would have walked across the road and asked hundred's of people who owed the car. What difference does it make if you across the road or not? You parked your illegally regardless if there was a taxi there or not + it was a loading bay.

You were in the wrong and were chancing your arm and paid the price.

You weren't unfairly clamped; you were stupid thinking you would get away with it as you probably have before.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

+ it was a loading bay.
    I think it has been established already that the loading bay was not 'active'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Right_Side

You got caught. Hard luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Volvoboy wrote:
    just wondering does the car have
    to be unattened for a set time before they can clamp?

No.

Lucky you got back, do they tow you away after a certain amount of time in Dublin ? If so, would have been worse.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Unfortunately, I suspect that the time issue is irrelevant.

Parking in the taxi rank screws you.

Parking in the taxi rank was never legal so no effective period of grace / time can apply.

If you were in a legitimate space and had gone to get change for the parking ticket machine you would have grounds for an argument if there was premature clamping.

I saw this happen frequently in Dawson Street with people leaving the car for less than 2 minutes to run into nearby shops. People were regularly done and the cars were lifted.

Pay up I think .........

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

AFAIK they only lift and move the car if it's obstructing traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

They sometimes will give you 10 minutes but this is generally when you are parked at a meter say and your ticket runs out at 3pm, they will wait until 3.10 pm, as a period of grace. If you are just plain parked illegally, as you were, they will clamp immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

Volvoboy wrote:
    we were gone for no less than 5 minuites
    Volvoboy wrote:
    was gone all of 1 minuite

I see. Please make up your mind.

There is no time limit - you parked illegally - you got clamped - what's so unfair about that? Seems pretty clearcut to me....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Any chance of this thread getting locked.

It's fairly lame from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ballooba wrote:
    Any chance of this thread getting locked.

It's fairly lame from the start.
    If you don't like it, don't read it. I see no reason why others should be prevented from having a discussion because you find it "lame".

Im not going to close it just yet as per Anan1's point!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

OP - bad luck. Chalk it down to experience.

Sorry to go slightly OT, but was the clamped LOCKED when you got back to your car. IIRC, if the clamp hasn't been locked, then they are obliged to take it back off (or you could always pull it out of their hands and drive off!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

Fey! wrote:

(or you could always pull it out of their hands and drive off!!!)

Could you actually do this? I'd have thought in this wacky world of lawsuits and accusations, that that could be considered assault or something. Dont know now, but thats what I woud've thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Definitely chalk it down to experience. Unlucky? Maybe. Unfair? No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Volvoboy wrote:
    Jaysus i remember when i first posted on this board people answerd your questions.

DO THEY HAVE A SET TIME OF A CAR BEING UNATTENED BEFORE THEY CAN CLAMP IT?!?!?!?!?!?!? FFS!!!

But the question you asked was:
    Volvoboy wrote:
    ALSO does anybody know the ways to get an a appel,

So, to answer your question: http://www.dublincity.ie/sitetools/faq/faq_roads_and_traffic/clamping_removal_appeals.asp

You won't get an appel (sic) as you were illegally parked.

To answer your other question: As someone else pointed out the grace period applies to cars that are legally parked where their time on the meter has elapsed. This is also discretionary and the clampers are within their rights to clamp you as soon as the meter expires, if they choose to do so.

There's nothing unfair about your case, so why waste your time. The simple fact of the matter is, they clamped you quickly, but you had intended to leave your car there for hours, so you must see the logic you use is wrong.

There's nothing unfair about your case, so why waste your time. The simple fact of the matter is, they clamped you quickly, but you had intended to leave your car there for hours, so you must see the logic you use is wrong.
    To be honest, the length of time the OP intended to be parked there is irrelevant. His car was parked illegally therefore it got clamped. End of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

If it was a private clamper you should hire an lawyer and sue as they are unconstitutional. A bolt cutters and a disc grinder come to mind plus a haymaker for any thick clamper. If I ever get clamped that will be my way of dealing with it. Something similar happened last year when some fella took his expectant wife into the GP and when he came out to rush her to Hospital his car was clamped. Clamper got KO'd.

• Advertisement

netwhizkid wrote:
    If it was a private clamper you should hire an lawyer and sue as they are unconstitutional.
    Read the first post - it was on a public street.
    netwhizkid wrote:
    A bolt cutters and a disc grinder come to mind plus a haymaker for any thick clamper. If I ever get clamped that will be my way of dealing with it.
    Good for you, hope you like prison.

Advertisement