Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant get BB in Cork City centre, please help

Options
  • 15-10-2006 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

I live right smack in the centre of Cork city but am having a nightmare trying to get broadband amazing as that may sound. I live in rented accomodtion and can't get a phone line so DSL is out, not a problem, or so i thought.

I 1st tried to sign up for Chorus but after 4 weeks and sending 3 technicians over they told me that there was a problem with their equipment in my area and it wouldn't work for broadband. Next I tried Digiweb, after waiting 6 weeks for them to send over a technician, he told me I don't have line of sight and so cannot get their service.

So here I am 10 weeks later, no broadband, and no clue how to get a service that doesn't require a phone line and will actually work!? Like I say, I live right in the city centre so why can't I get broadband? Can anyone suggest an alternative? Will Nova and IBB have the same line of sight problems? Is NTL ever going to be available in Cork? Someone please help!

EDIT: I've just noticed on the IBB site that you can get a 30 day Breeze trial, so you can cancel if the service isn't good supposedly? Has anyone tried this? Whats the 3mb breeze service like in Cork city centre?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

clearwire _maybe_ , ripwave _maybe_ but they are dialup speeds for many and not broadband

also look at the Voda 3G cards which are more expensive but work at the advertised speed (ish) which will be 1.8mbits by next month (if not already).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Like I say, I live right in the city centre so why can't I get broadband?
    Because you won't get a phone line in. That cuts you out of the loop for the most widely available broadband technology in Ireland

High speed wireless broadband requires line of sight. If you don't have LOS, you don't have LOS. As far as anyone knows, broadband is available on a smaller proportion of Cable connections than phone connections (over half of phone lines nationally can get broadband, it appears that far less than half of households with Cable TV can get Cable broadband).

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭com7

what part of the city ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭6digitnumber

Popes quay, you would really think Chorus would be ok there, but no. Digiweb technician told me that the only way i'd have line of sight is if they install the antenae on the roof, but because I live in a 3 story building they wont go up there for safety reasons, apparently 2 stories is the maximum. Very frustrating as my landlord doesnt want to get a phoneline in.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

if you tell him you'll pay the connection fees and lilne rental he might lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 obrienb

Try Nova but trust me on IBB, stay well away from them!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

Popes quay, you would really think Chorus would be ok there, but no. Digiweb technician told me that the only way i'd have line of sight is if they install the antenae on the roof, but because I live in a 3 story building they wont go up there for safety reasons, apparently 2 stories is the maximum. Very frustrating as my landlord doesnt want to get a phoneline in.

I Got Digiweb ok in Cork...My parents also wanted it, but they live in a very tall building, over 3 stories and Digiweb was able to bang on the dish for them..they had to pay 99euro for a cheery picker though...but ask them again, they might go down that route.

Advertisement