Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

HD Connections

• 15-10-2006 12:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have the LG RZ-27LZ55.

I wanted to know about the connections for HD.

It has a DVI INPUT (RGB INPUT). Why does it have RGB in brackets underneath it, are dvi and rgb the same? anyway this is a hd connection right?
    I also have a component DVD in, is this a hd connection also?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Yes , both DVI and Component are HD connections , however according to this ,

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=319005&view=detailed

You do not have a DVI connection , you have a 15 pin D sub VGA connector which is an analog connection , and while it does do HD , it is a far cry from a DVI connection.

A DVI connector looks totally different , like this ,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI

And according to the link above you just have this ,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector

Hope this helps ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

SO where does that leave me? the component dvd in is a hd connection right? but why is it a DVD in

I got a cable with the tv, one end is blue and one end is white, the blue end is a VGA connection i presume as it is the same connectio nas the wikipedia diagram, the white matches the DVI A connection on the wikipedia diagrams. So i presume the VGA end is for a computer, does that mean i do have a DVI/VGA connection???? and whats with RGB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Check wikipedia, DVI can carry both the new digital hdmi picture and the analogue VGA one. For your purposes VGA is the same as RGB.

It sounds like you have a DVI socket on the back of your TV. To find out whether this is analogue only or accepts digital as well you'll need to check your manual. Even if it does, because it lacks a HDMI socket there is no sound carried, so unless you are planning an external sound system you've bought a bit of a lame duck.

VGA/RGB can obviously do high resolutions (HD), people have been using 1024x768 on monitors for years. Component is probably labelled DVD as it is commonly found on DVD players. You'd need to check if your DVD player can do 720p output for it to be of use, and even then you're still watching SD DVDs just scaled.

yea i dont mind if i dont get hd sound, normalk is fine, but its analogue i think, so what does that mean? i could use component right anyway for a ps3/360?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

That LG model does not have a DVI connection , there is no mention of one anywhere in the specs for the TV , the cable is obviously meant to be used the other way around , DVI out on a graphics card to VGA in on the TV .

Now HD can be delivered to the TV in a number of ways , for instance , a Sky HD box will give HD output in a number of ways ,
    There is Component , DVI or HDMI , take your pick , in this case the component can be used so the TV can still be used for HD , not so much of a lame duck. ( would have been better to go for one with a HDMI or a DVI but never mind !! )
    The sound will have to come on separate cables but the TV can handle that using the 3.5mm jack or the RCA left and right cables.
    The Xbox 360 uses component HD anyway , as far as I know thats all it has , dont know about the PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

This is pointless. Look at the back of the bloody TV and see if there is a DVI port or a VGA D-Sub. They look completely different, and yet you have not managed to say clearly which you have.

We'll go from there.

Pulled tv out of corner, and it looks very similar or exactly the same as this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:DVI_Diagram.svg

so its a proper hd connection?

Ok tried connecting laptop to pc today with supplied vga to dvi cable

anyway tried to connect dvi plug into socket on tv and theres a lip on the back of the tv kind of preventing it from going in, kind of as in i could try and slant the plug and bent the input out a bit as i try to plug it in, the scart sockets slightly slant out as they are pushed a tad out by the lip also.

Any recommendations on what to do, i can try and explain it again if its confusin, i think there was a member who had a problem like this with an lcd monitor also, not sure, anyway i uploaded avery unclear photo, its abd camera

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/shortys94/DSCF0037.jpg

again any help? any dvi cables with less plastic around actual plug

can anyone help me, again anythinner dvi plug i can get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭smokingman

I've got a DVI input into my HD plasma and was wondering if anyone knew if there was a componant to DVI adaptor available anywhere in town?

Friend of mine dropped by with his 360 at the weekend and didn't realise we needed this to set it up but we do....

anyone with answer to my problem??????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,368 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

shortys94 wrote:
    anyone with answer to my problem??????????

Unless lg made a big design flaw, you should be able to get a cable that fits. I wouldn't force anything at an angle. Best thing to do would be to measure the cable head you have and work out approx what width will work. I have a dvi to vga converter thats exactly 15mm thick. If you want to buy a dvi cable online(buying a certain width dvi cable in a irish store sound like major hassle) , you'll have to ask the sell to measure the connector for you. Asking sellers on ebay would be a good way to do it, usually they're helpful. You could also trim some plastic off the dvi connector if you had to make something fit.

The quality differance between progressive component and dvi shouldn't be too much and may not be noticable at all, depending on equipment being used. Some people prefer to use component to send interlaced picture to the tv and let tv do the deinterlacing. DVI is digital and is better in most cases. Sending a signal over component requires the signal to be converted from digital to analog at the dvd player and from analog to digital at the tv, there will be a small quality loss here, and also the analog component cables can pick up interferance somtimes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

dvi connections are a standard. If one cable doesn't fit onto your tv, try a differnt make of cable. If it doesn't fit, then the casing on your tv must be out of place or something. I'd say take it back

yea i have a one year warrwanty on it from pc world, will try and have a look at back of tv again and see what width would be needed, may be design flaw as scart plugs are slightly slanting outwards but work fine, again i will look into it more, who knows maybe i am using the wrong dvi plug but i doubt it as it was supplied with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

smokingman wrote:
    I've got a DVI input into my HD plasma and was wondering if anyone knew if there was a componant to DVI adaptor available anywhere in town?

Directly? no. They are compeltely different signals.

You could go DVI (connector) to VGA to RGB to Component I think.

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,368 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

nereid wrote:
    Directly? no. They are compeltely different signals.

You could go DVI (connector) to VGA to RGB to Component I think.

L.

You can get dvi to component connector

http://sewelldirect.com/DVI-to-Component-Adapter-Cable-15ft.asp

But not all display devices will support this

i tried to email LG but no reply, not even an automated one, anyway any other suggestions, the cable was supplied with tv after all

Advertisement