Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner looking for info on cycling and getting fit

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

I was thinking that id just get ordinary rechargeable batterys.

Ill try them on in the shop so. Hopefully they will have the ones I linked to!

Very expensive compared to this King Raam http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?Main=ProductDetail.aspx&W=0&Manufacturer=Cateye&UberCatName=&Cat=cycle&CategoryName=&ProdID=5360025771&UberCat=0

I wonder would there be much difference. Quote from cateye review "1500 candlepower and a maximum 50 hour run time!"

The light and motion solo says 13watts. How are you supposed to compare these? Candlepower, watts!!! Im confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Here is the How Bright is tat Light? link I promised.
    The difference between the basic and top end lights is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

King Raam wrote:
    Blorg...
    you in Portmarnock? I used to cycle that stretch a lot when I was there. it was my least favourite bit of my commute in winter as the cars belt it.
    No, I'm in Donnybrook, but a favourite spin is out to Malahide, largely because of the coastal cycle path from Clontarf to Sutton. If I was doing it after work it would sometimes be dark by the time I am returning along that bit, hence my experience. Truly nasty. I have had similar experiences elsewhere on Dublin's periphery (Meath, Wicklow, Kildare, Dublin mountains), as well as when away touring and we didn't reach our destination on time. Conclusion from my many all unwanted experiences cycling on completely unlit roads is that it sure isn't something you'd do for fun. _In general_ drivers are driving very fast, the roads are often narrow and bendy, and they don't expect to come across someone on a bicycle.

daymobrew wrote:
    Here is the How Bright is tat Light? link I promised.
    The difference between the basic and top end lights is shocking.

Ill put that link into my favourites but or now ive decided to give the lights a miss seen as the price of the good ones is out of my league. When I start doing my morning cycles I may just get something to be seen by motorists should needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

The really expensive lights are for cycling at night off-road. You should be able to get a very good set of road-cycling lights for no more than €40. You don't need big headlights like a car.

• Advertisement

junii- you _need_ lights if you are cycling in the dark, and this includes dawn/dusk. Preferably a reflective vest/belt as well. As Simon says, those lights are for off-road or complete darkness, e.g. where you have to light up the road ahead of you yourself. You can get basic LED sets (front and back) from €10-20, there really is no excuse.

With the winter coming on unless you are only cycling around lunchtime it is easy to get caught out in the dark; things like thick clouds can also severely accelerate nightfall. So make sure you get lights and keep them on your bike if there is any chance it's going to get dark during your ride at all.

EDIT: Anything is better than nothing: basic LEDs and a reflective vest on a dark country road while not ideal are a hell of a lot better than being out there with nothing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Haven't read all of this thread but suffice to say the best way to get fit is to cycle up Killiney Hill Road and back, then up Glenageary Hill and past Fox Rock through Dean's Grange and into the city centre. Keep that up every day until Christmas when you'll be fit as a fiddle and ready for the Tour de France. Don't worry about cars, you can just ignore them. It's pedestrians that are your enemy. Watch out for the jaywalkers as they come in all ages, shapes and sizes and usually step out in numbers, particulary in town.

I think if junii was to cycle up Killiney Hill Road every day from where he is located he would need to be fit as a fiddle all right ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

junii wrote:
    I got the slightly lower spec EL500 on ebay from a proper shop, brand new for less than half price ( of what is was in town) delivered, and I got the best cateye rear led too, for less than half price.

This was not a lucky bid, it was a buy it now, all of the higher end lights are dirt cheap on ebay.

Think this was the guy
    http://cgi.ebay.com/CATEYE-EL500-AND-LD1000-Bike-Light-Set-EL-500-LD-1000_W0QQitemZ190044068078QQihZ009QQcategoryZ22689QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

the 2 lights for $70 (~€56) including delivery, only took about 5 days to get them.

Very bright, my brother used to pull back the curtain when I come home since he thinks it is a car pulling up and shining in the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I just ordered a loud backpack cover from Wiggle. Hopefully it is as offensive to the eyes as it appears in the picture.

rubadub - The EL530 and LD1100 set are about 78 euro on Wiggle, considerably cheaper than when bought separately.

• Advertisement

Well I thought I would be alright if I just made sure it was late enough in the morning but just incase I will get that cateye package from Wiggle.

It will be handy to have it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

daymobrew wrote:
    rubadub - The EL530 and LD1100 set are about 78 euro on Wiggle, considerably cheaper than when bought separately.

Thats €94 delivered from wiggle, still a good bit cheaper than the shops here. They do packages in the shops here too, a good bit cheaper than separate, but they still come in separate packages, seems a bit odd.

I was reading that a company had created a LED that outputs more lumens per watt (the measure of efficiency of lights) than any other bulbs, including metal halide, and high pressure sodium. In about 5 years they reckon all floodlights etc will be LEDs

Advertisement