Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick question

• 15-10-2006 12:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

just of late guys in college are talking of what i think are called dream boxes or possibly v-boxes. Are these illegal? and what do they do? if i'm not suppose to discuss this sorry in advance:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

there is the dreambox and the dbox, both are legal recievers and run a linux based image. Like a lot of sat and cable equipment they can be harnessed for the power of evil :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Almost any Satellite receiver with CI for a CAM (or even cardreader only) can be used legally or illegally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

The boxes arn't illegal. It's just what you can do with them if you explore them enough.
    I.e cardsharing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

would it be worth getting one? are they easily harnessed for the power of evil?;)

Not going to far into the gray area (read charter ;))
    Since it's a linux based box, all the work is done by software and as such has many options. You load images, files etc onto the box to do what you want if your up to it. There are many sites out there that have info on what you may decide to do evil with it.
    Of course the obvious illegal thing to do with it requires you to pay anyway to get tv.
    You can use a DB to record tv as well and grab them from the box to your PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sparky-s will have to ban himself if he goes on like this :)

Illegal activities to do with satellite eventually hurt everyone. I'd recommend against even investigating these things lest you get temped into evil. But not all Dreambox have HDD.

If you interested in recording a dual tuner receiver is best. Dreambox isn't the only option either.

Or you can get a 60 Euro sat card (up to four if you have 4 spare PCI slots) on your PC directly.

Sparky-s banned.
    Let that be a lesson to all of ye's
    heh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

cool thanks for the info i'll avoid talking about it on this forum, thanks sparky s:D

Advertisement