Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you rather talk about concerts here, or in the Gigs/Events forum?

• 15-10-2006 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

I've always had the idea that the Gigs/Events forum was there for a reason. Keeping all discussion of gigs to one board also kept a lot of spam down, take a look at what's become of the punk forum, for example. Or should that be the spam your gig forum?

Anyway, I'm to as you, the denizens of Rock, the peons of Metal, would you prefer to discuss relevant concerts here, or keep it as it is? It's up to you.

I think with a watchfull eye, spam could be kept down.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I've always thought news about gigs, getting tickets etc; basically all the pregig stuff should be in the gigs/events forum, but discussion of a gig after the fact should go here. I've no logic or reason to back that up though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Crucifix wrote:
    I've always thought news about gigs, getting tickets etc; basically all the pregig stuff should be in the gigs/events forum, but discussion of a gig after the fact should go here. I've no logic or reason to back that up though.

ditto

i see the gigs/events forum as a "X are playing in Y on Z, tickets cost whatever..." etc. etc.

then enter questions about how to get to the venue, who's supporting etc.

after that, discussion could be moved here, avec pics and setlist talk. like crucifix though, i've no logic or reason for this... it just makes sense because once i've been to a gig, i tend not to revisit the gigs/events forum to discuss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I agree with the posters above, it's always good to talk about a metal concert to people who know their stuff, that would be most people here ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Crucifix wrote:

+1 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

ditto

i see the gigs/events forum as a "X are playing in Y on Z, tickets cost whatever..." etc. etc.

then enter questions about how to get to the venue, who's supporting etc.

after that, discussion could be moved here, avec pics and setlist talk.
    Agreed.

Or maybe, instead of starting a new thread, gigs (relevant to Rock/Metal) could be moved here from the Gigs/Events board for people to discuss. Only a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Crucifix wrote:
    I've always thought news about gigs, getting tickets etc; basically all the pregig stuff should be in the gigs/events forum, but discussion of a gig after the fact should go here.

QFT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I think we should talk about Gigs/Events in the Gigs/Events section. Besides, its mostly overpopulated by Rock/Metal gigs anyway as they seem to be the great proportion of gigs that ppl on this site feel passionately enough to discuss. Despite the recent problems with those that cannot be named, I still think the Gigs/Events board serves an important function in its current role.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, if all the gigs/events are in once place and everyone has to check it to see their own bands there's more chance they might walk into something they wouldn't normally listen to but would otherwise enjoy.

I never check gigs/events though unless I see a thread on the mainpage though about a band I like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Mordeth wrote:
    I never check gigs/events though unless I see a thread on the mainpage though about a band I like

And OP is right, the Punk forum is useless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

The way things are works fine, imo. The reason I haven't been requesting Punk to refrain gig discussion is because, let's be honest, it would be a pretty quiet place without such topics. However, I may bring this with the Punk mods at some point; seems quite a few posters are taking advantage by spamming between forums.

Gigs/Events keeps such talk under control, plus there's no questioning as to where to post about concerts. Furthermore, it's nice to give the forum vitality besides pimped independent gigs, as the place lives and dies on such discussion alone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I would prefer to discuss the aftermath here.
    Maybe befre it too, so more people would see the thread if one wanted to go for a pint or a meal with a boardsie beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

if one wanted to go for a pint or a meal with a boardsie beforehand.

This is a metal forum, boy! This aint no "loveshack"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I've always had the idea that the Gigs/Events forum was there for a reason. Keeping all discussion of gigs to one board also kept a lot of spam down, take a look at what's become of the punk forum, for example. Or should that be the spam your gig forum?

I'd keep it as is or add a Rock/Metal gigs subforum perhaps. The punk forum was almost dead anyway, once the X-band are/are no punk bitchslapping had gotten old and 7 of those threads pimping gigs have no replys anyway, so there's little interest in those threads other than someone pushing their own gig. I like that the discussion here is purely about music, the live thing is a different topic altogether IMO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Dathai wrote:
    This is a metal forum, boy! This aint no "loveshack"!
    But I would put on my good corpse paint, HIM tshirt and eyeliner.

>_>
    <_<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I like it as it is. It's not like if you like metal you can't click on gigs/events too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

after that, discussion could be moved here, avec pics and setlist talk. like crucifix though, i've no logic or reason for this... it just makes sense because once i've been to a gig, i tend not to revisit the gigs/events forum to discuss it.

Yea I'd like to see it changed a bit. So many gigs are mentioned in the gigs/events forum, especially small indie ones which makes it a bit muddled. A sub rock/metal gigs forum under rock/metal would be a nice idea, as mentioned above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'd hate to have a sub-forum for gigs for a couple of reasons:

1. What's the difference between that and using the gigs/events forum? You're still using a seperate forum no matter how you'd look at it.
    2. Sub forums cause problems. I had a nightmare of a time modding the Film Reviews forum because it was a sub of Films, and people looking at the drop-down menu only saw Films as a heading, not an actual forum. As such, it seemed to sap all the discussion from films, and it ended up just confusing people.

Anyway, as for keeping the discussion of gigs here, but the announcements, tickets and such in gigs/events... I don't see how that can work at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

What about linking duplicate threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

What about linking duplicate threads.

How do you mean, exactly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you know when you move a thread from one forum to another there's an option to leave a softlink or something? I think that's what he meant.. but that'd be bloody work :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

What I planned to do for Experimental but haven't gotten around to doing is having one thread for gigs where you can announce a gig, price and so on and include a link to the main thread on Gigs/Events. That way you can see all the Rock/Metal gigs in one thread without having to sift through other gigs and the Gigs/Events forum is still serving its purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

That's what I meant, yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Crucifix wrote:

^^ This is a good plan ^^

Well, for the last two years I have posted a new thread before I go to a gig, saying see you all tomorrow etc, have fun and whatnot.
    Since the new modding has been happening you must not be allowed do that ,as I was banned there for making an Unholy Alliance thread, I think.
    So, I prefer to discuss it here, screw that.

I'm quite excited about tomorrow, see some of you there, and have a blast. :)

Advertisement