Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to thank a TD that advised you through the planning process?

Options
  • 15-10-2006 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

well ? anyone any suggestions? just give him your vote? party donation? nice bottle of whiskey? :) or just say thanks? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

a thank you card and a vote.
    and refer him to your mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

It would seen the preferred container is the Brown Envelope, the content, a discretionary sum;)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Are you sure that he really did help?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

muffler wrote:
    Are you sure that he really did help?

Ha ha they like to make you think that they made a difference when in reality they were only telling you what you want to hear. From speaking to my future father in law who is a county councellor there is very little they (TD's and CC's) can do except tell you what the planner has said.

Best way to thank TD's is tell them they got your vote and that'll make them smile

they get such bad rep.
    my dad was a county councilor, senator and td. they can make your issues known to the people that matter.
    which is more than sitting on your ass complaining will get you.

• Advertisement

I recall loads of times in the past when certain TD's and Cllr's would have sent a letter out to a successful applicant for planning permission (sometimes even enclosing a copy of the PP) saying that they were delighted to see that they had got their permission and if there was anything else they could do - just get in touch.

Now, a lot of people assumed that the particular politician had made representations on their behalf and were happy in the knowledge that this wonderful man or woman was doing things for them even though the person had never contacted that politician.

What most people did not know was that a list of all planning decisions was sent out from the planning department to the local politicians every week.

With most Councils now having an online planning info service has meant that these diligent public representatives can longer pull that stunt

which is more than sitting on your ass complaining will get you.
    Touchy are we ;)

muffler wrote:
    Touchy are we ;)

i've heard it all before tbh.
    from people who sit on their ass complaining.
    i was attempting to answer the OP, i should have stopped there. my bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Tizzy

im not saying he had any influence on the decision with the council in any way.. i just said he gave alot of sound advice and helped us with several meetings over several months...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

They can make things happen. We spent about six months trying to get our planner on the phone/in person about 6 years ago. The local TD had a meeting arranged for us within a day... he wasn't able to swings things our way but at least we got to see the *&%$£*! planner.

A decent bottle of wine would do as a thank you, I would imagine. I am sure they are chary of accepting much these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

They can make things happen. We spent about six months trying to get our planner on the phone/in person about 6 years ago. The local TD had a meeting arranged for us within a day... he wasn't able to swings things our way but at least we got to see the *&%$£*! planner.

A decent bottle of wine would do as a thank you, I would imagine. I am sure they are chary of accepting much these days.

I find a large lodgement to the TDs account always helps. Especially if they are going through a particularly emotional time in their personal lives, make sure you mark the lodgement as "GIFT" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

There is that, I suppose. Perhaps he needs a new house.:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Moving to politics.

Help him/her with the canvass next time round. Just a few hours.

Advertisement