Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Editing letters in Fonts

Options
  • 15-10-2006 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi All,

I was just wondering would anyone recomend software either photoshop / Flash for editing actual letters within fonts, The problem i am having is i want to put up a site for my brothers new business and the guy who gave him the graphics is taking forever to supply him with the graphics, They are done simply enough except for an "Exageration" on one letter which really makes it look well. I ahve most photo editing software and i was just wondering what ones the good readers of this bord might reccomend ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

give this a go

not sure if it's good for editing fonts, but it's free so it can't hurt to try :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Well, you can just exaggerate the specific letter on a new layer on Photoshop.

If you really want to edit the font file itself then there are a couple of things you can do:
    - recreate the font using font software
    - output the font to an eps or similar vector output to a vector program such as Illustrator and manipulate the vectors of the letter

Hence - font software: My favourite was Fontographer but now I use an open source program called Fontforge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 pintsize52

give this a go

not sure if it's good for editing fonts, but it's free so it can't hurt to try :)

Brilliant thank you :) Hopefully this will sort me out :D

Gordon wrote:
    Well, you can just exaggerate the specific letter on a new layer on Photoshop.

Please forgive my ignorance but how do i go about doing that. The letter in question is an A that swings down to the next word.... I suppose i could do it on different layers.... Im probably being lazy lol. Ill give this font forge a go and see how i get on i guess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Without knowing exactly what 'exaggerate' means I don't think anyone can tell you how to do it.

If you are saying that the A needs to be a few pixels lower then simply create a new layer - exporting a fresh font a few times will take longer in the long run than moving it down surely?

Oh, I forgot, you don't need a font program to convert text into vectors, you can use a vector program like Illustrator to convert. Therefore you can alter the vectors of the A on Illustrator and drag it into Photoshop as a rasterised image.

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote:
    Without knowing exactly what 'exaggerate' means I don't think anyone can tell you how to do it.

Basically what i mean is that its two words

McNAMEE
    TYRES

The A sweeps down in a semi-circle to touch the T almost like the curve of the road

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭sdssarah

yeah Id go with illustrator so you can change the size if you want.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Flash would be good too.
    You could even make the two blend into each other is an animation.

Advertisement