Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petr Cech needed surgery for depressed skull fracture.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I dont think he was going for the kill in all fairness.
    Difference between Hunt and Thatcher - Thatcher clearly meant it where as we can give the benefit of doubt to Hunt to it just being a freak accident.
    Its not like he just ran up and gave him a swift kick in the head for no reason, it was a competitive match, we see miss timed tackles everyday of the week, ye would swear this is the first late tackle in history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    What the ****? Journeyman? Three clubs in his career and he's a journeyman?

As for nearly killing Cech, get a grip. His foot was clipped by Cech's knee as he went past, it was clumsy at the worst.

Is this the first time you have heard of Steven Hunt? Comparing him with Ben Thatcher is bizarre.

]

Never heard of Hunt before , nor do i want to again , as stated he is either extremly clumsy or has psychotic problems . And he is a journey man , unless you consider Brentford and Reading reserves , top flight football .
    And finally he did nearly kill Cech, a fractured skull is pretty serious , and Cech is not a weak man !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

thebaz wrote:
    Never heard of Hunt before , nor do i want to again , as stated he is either extremly clumsy or has psychotic problems . And he is a journey man , unless you consider Brentford and Reading reserves , top flight football .
    And finally he did nearly kill Cech, a fractured skull is pretty serious , and Cech is not a weak man !!!
    I'm sorry but you're talking complete an utter sh1te!

BaZmO* wrote:
    I'm sorry but you're talking complete an utter sh1te!

Ok then i apologise , Hunt is a Galactico , and football would be a better game with clumsier and dangerous tackles , and if a few goalies get maimed so be it . Happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

I saw the replays on MOTD. There's no evidence to suggest Hunt clipped Cech on purpose, in fact it looked very accidental.

Mourinho needs to be dealt with the FA for his comments re Hunt and Reading football club, everything that comes out of his mouth is spiteful bile and tarnishes football's image.

thebaz wrote:
    Happy
    Not really. You're still talking sh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Ardent wrote:

everything that comes out of his mouth is spiteful bile and tarnishes football's image.

really ?

:rolleyes:

BaZmO* wrote:
    Not really. You're still talking sh1te.

What do you not agree with

That Cech was seriously injured ?
    That Hunt is a journeyman pro ?
    That Hunt was either clumsy or vicious ?

thebaz wrote:
    Never heard of Hunt before , nor do i want to again , as stated he is either extremly clumsy or has psychotic problems .

Could we say the same about this Chelsea player ?
    We should put things in context !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-5GflaqVTQ&mode=related&search=

thebaz wrote:
    That Cech was seriously injured ?
    Why would I argue whether or not Cech is injured when the fact is that he quite obviously is.
    What isn't obvious is whether or not Hunt went out to intentionally injure him, which imo, and in the opinion of the majority of neutrals, he didn't.
    To suggest to or allude to Hunt intentionally nearly killing him is just silly and the type of stuff you'd expect from tabloids.

thebaz wrote:
    What's a journey man pro? I take you mean a journey man? If so what has that got to with anything?

thebaz wrote:
    So he's clumsy or vicious now? Not clumsy or psychotic like you originally suggested.

This is all being blown well out of proportion. It was a clumsy challenge that ended up with a professional footballer being seriously injured. Hunt stated that he did not intentionally try to hurt Cech and as he has no previous with this type of thing you'd have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You've got to love the Mirror's reporting style, saying that Cech would never fumble a ball, and implying that as a result, no one should bother following up which insinuates that teams might as well not try when playing against better teams, cos they know they are better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

thebaz wrote:

I have serious doubts that you know what the term journeyman actually means...

As for the psychotic problems, yeah, I'm sure thats what it was. :rolleyes:
    thebaz wrote:

Oh yes, he does those head excersizes to strengthen his skull regularly. :rolleyes:

As BazMo says, Hunt has no previous history of aggression and certainly had no motivation to hurt Cech, and plays in one of the fairest sides in the Premiership with one of the most admirable managers. It was clumsy at worst. How dare you play judge, jury and executioner here and suggest that he has psychotic problems and that the Premiership would somehow be a better place without him.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I have serious doubts that you know what the term journeyman actually means...

How dare you play judge, jury and executioner here and suggest that he has psychotic problems and that the Premiership would somehow be a better place without him.

Your the one acting as a self righteos judge -- remember Cech was injured not Hunt -- and i'm entitled (as much as you are ) to my own view , even though thankfully it differs to you .

thebaz wrote:
    Your the one acting as a self righteos judge

... says the one who doesn't want to see Steven Hunt play again, because he set out on his first Premiership start to seriously injure Petr Cech within 30 seconds... to "make a name for himself"!

Honestly, do you realise how bizarre and illogical you sound? I'd love to offer you a chance to have a chat with him. Maybe you could congratulate him on his man-of-the-match performance.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    ... says the one who doesn't want to see Steven Hunt play again, because he set out on his first Premiership start to seriously injure Petr Cech within 30 seconds... to "make a name for himself"!

Honestly, do you realise how bizarre and illogical you sound? I'd love to offer you a chance to have a chat with him. Maybe you could congratulate him on his man-of-the-match performance.

It was the below post that made me say what i said what i did :-
    "an outfield player has the right to go for the ball as much as the goalkeeper so whoever blames an honest hardworking player for an accident is an idiot in my opinion "

So i pretty much stand by what i said , but I agree Hunt deserves another chance -- just needs to be carefull.

Is he still a journeyman? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

thebaz wrote:
    Its a mans game , but there is a code - why did Hunt not jump ? he nearly killed Cech .Your right though Hunt is a journeyman, and the less we hear of him the better , along with that other idiot Thatcher .

Why are tou turning a clear accident into some sort of vendetta. It's plain as day that Hunt could have done nothing to avoid the incident. He was eager making his first start in the Premiership but there is no way this 'journey man' was out to taint his reputation from the word go. To think otherwise is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

thebaz wrote:

so you think Hunt kicked extra hard cause Cech is a strong man ? your talking 100% grade A ****e here. I dont care who you are, a good solid kick in the head is as likely to cause braindamage to a 6 month old baby as it is to a "strong man like Cech" and to say Hunt did that with any sort of intent is bordering on the crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

Draupnir wrote:

Slightly differently, doesnt this give Chelsea a lovely excuse for getting buried on Wednesday!

You were saying......

• Advertisement

so you think Hunt kicked extra hard cause Cech is a strong man ? your talking 100% grade A ****e here. I dont care who you are, a good solid kick in the head is as likely to cause braindamage to a 6 month old baby as it is to a "strong man like Cech" and to say Hunt did that with any sort of intent is bordering on the crazy!
    I never said Hunt kicked Cech extra hard , i said he could have jumped -- Cech is in hospital and out of the game for a year , while Hunt is unharmed .
    So maybe read my post , before posting your insult !!!!
    And what rubbish are you on about kicking babies ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

thebaz wrote:
    I never said Hunt kicked Cech extra hard , i said he could have jumped -- Cech is in hospital and out of the game for a year , while Hunt is unharmed .
    So maybe read my post , before posting your insult !!!!
    And what rubbish are you on about kicking babies ?

Hunt practices his skull kick on babies. FACT!
    you obviously don't have a clue about football Another FACT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

SCULLY wrote:
    You were saying......

Dam you scully. I actually came onto this thread to do just that!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

iregk wrote:
    Dam you scully. I actually came onto this thread to do just that!!!!

First up best dressed!!! :D:D:D

You gotta love the way the anti blues brigade are very quiet today!

iregk wrote:

Am I in this brigade? :)

Here's a couple of nice links for you this overcast morning so...

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2006/10/19/victory_does_little_to_clear_t.html

http://football.guardian.co.uk/gallery/slideshow/0,,1925311,00.html

Also, did you know that 8% of Frank Lampards Chelsea goals have been deflected? :)

• Advertisement

iregk wrote:

HELLO, ANTI BLUE BRIGADE HERE

Iam not actually anti Chelsea to be fair, but anti people talking out of their arses about situations and events....

Chelsea s win was more a reflection on a poor Barcelona performance in my opinion but they won and well done to them, they were the better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

LOL

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8703_1612169,00.html
    Carlo Cudicini has slammed referee Mike Riley for failing to send off Stephen Hunt and Ibrahima Sonko for the challenges that hospitalised him and fellow Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech.

Cudicini was knocked out and swallowed his tongue after Reading defender Sonko collided with him in Saturday's 1-0 Premiership victory at the Madejski Stadium.

Riley took no action over the incident and initially did not even stop the game, with the Royals nearly equalising while the Italian lay unconscious in the penalty area.

"I am sure that if a collision like Sonko's with me had happened in the middle of the pitch, he would have got a red card," Cudicini told the Daily Express. "But the referee did not even blow for a foul.

"I have not qualms with Sonko. I am angry with the referee."

Cudicini was only on the pitch because Blues number one Cech had been taken to hospital with a fractured skull following a challenge by midfielder Hunt shortly after kick-off.

"It is obvious Hunt did not intend to harm him - otherwise he should be labelled an assassin.

"But he is Pinocchio when he says he could not avoid Petr. He went on with a firm leg to get the collision, the fall and a possible penalty.

"Had the ref sent off Hunt, you can rest assured that Hunt would not try it again in the following match."

Cudicini believes keepers are not given enough protection by the officials in England but laughed off PFA chief Gordon Taylor's suggestion that they should wear helmets.

"How absurd," Cudicini said.

"Instead of demanding action against those who so violently challenge the keepers, they want to dress us up like ice hockey keepers.

"This is just an English problem. In continental Europe, the goalkeepers are always protected; in England, the contrary happens.

"On the high balls, we have to punch away to avoid the kind of challenge which should not be sanctioned.

"I'm okay with 50-50 challenges when you can get an elbow. But when you are on the ground, having got hold of the ball, here you still get a knee in the face or studs on your head. It is not customary here to jump over a keeper."

Will they ever shut up?

Thankfully you dont know me -- so what i know or dont know about football , where i play or have played , is unknown to you -- so be carefull before posting assumptions about someone you don't know , as facts .

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Am I in this brigade? :)

Here's a couple of nice links for you this overcast morning so...

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2006/10/19/victory_does_little_to_clear_t.html

http://football.guardian.co.uk/gallery/slideshow/0,,1925311,00.html

Also, did you know that 8% of Frank Lampards Chelsea goals have been deflected? :)

Wow, two absolute rubbish links. Well done.

And yeah I'd well believe that 8% are deflected. Still goals all the same aren't they?

• Advertisement

iregk wrote:
    Wow, two absolute rubbish links. Well done.

I personally thought the first one was an excellent article, though as it is questions King José and Chelsea I can understand why you might not have enjoyed reading it. What particular points did you not agree with?
    And yeah I'd well believe that 8% are deflected. Still goals all the same aren't they?

Its just a stat, I wasn't implying anything. I actually thought the % would be higher.

Slightly off topic but check this goal out. I reckon this is the best back flick goal I've ever seen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieed8Kkkn-I

thebaz wrote:
    Thankfully you dont know me -- so what i know or dont know about football , where i play or have played , is unknown to you -- so be carefull before posting assumptions about someone you don't know , as facts .
    thebaz doesn't know when someone is taking the p1ss - FACT!!!

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I personally thought the first one was an excellent article, though as it is questions King José and Chelsea I can understand why you might not have enjoyed reading it. What particular points did you not agree with?

I never said I disagreed with it. Its another needless article that has been said over and over thats why its crap. I know Jose is a, actually can't finish that sentance for fear of being banned but you know where I'm going. He speaks his mind which is sometimes on a different wave lenght to the rest of us and for some reason sees things that aren't actually there!

That said, he is bringing sucess to my club. I couldn't care that most hate Chelsea as to be honest it would be the very same if it was Rafa, Capello, Wenger or whoever in charge of Chelsea. It just wouldn't have the hate Jose vibe that it does. I like the way at times he does things to deflect attention on himself. Something most people still don't cop onto and they fall for it every time. Do I think the Hunt challenge was an accident? Yes I do. I think he could have done more to get out of the way but it was accidental. Did Jose step over the line when it came to the ambulance men? Hugely, yes he did. But while doing all this his players went into the biggest game of the seaon with no pressure and no attention being paid to them!

The thing is that now Mourinho, Drogba and Cudicini have also come out saying pretty much the same thing. Mourinho criticised Reading FC and the NHS by stating that the ambulance took half an hour, and that Cech was taken in a lift by a wheelchair, without knowing/revealing the facts.

Hunt has been victimised by all three, and now Cudicini is saying Sonko should have been sent off. When will they learn to keep their mouths closed?

Are you saying that it is acceptable for José to divert the attention away from the Barcelona game (which he clearly did), but onto Steven Hunt, Reading FC and the NHS?

thebaz wrote:

Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid...

:D

OK , youll all be thrilled Hunt has got off scott free --
    I think he should have got a 3 match ban, if nothing else for dangerous/careless play --
    Joey Barton gets charged by the FA for bringing the game into dispute for mooning Everton fans , who abuse him all game .

At the end of the day Cech is out of the game for a year , with a fractured skull, Hunt should have receeived some punishment for careless play .
    I'm an Everton fan, but it strikes me as anti Chelsea bias in the FA .
    Something isn't right in that organisation, but sure whats new !

I'm absolutely thrilled, yep.

thebaz wrote:
    OK , youll all be thrilled Hunt has got off scott free --
    I think he should have got a 3 match ban, if nothing else for dangerous/careless play --

At the end of the day Cech is out of the game for a year , with a fractured skull, Hunt should have receeived some punishment for careless play .
    I'm an Everton fan, but it strikes me as anti Chelsea bias in the FA .
    Something isn't right in that organisation, but sure whats new !

How old are you ? dont see how you cant comprehend what happened...
    Do you not realise what an accident is ? A freak accident ?
    How can the FA punish players for accidents, all players know that their is a risk when they step onto the pitch and Cech is no different

How old are you ? dont see how you cant comprehend what happened...
    Do you not realise what an accident is ? A freak accident ?
    How can the FA punish players for accidents, all players know that their is a risk when they step onto the pitch and Cech is no different

What has age got to do with anything --
    Hunt could have made a better effort not to connect , Cech gets a fractured skull , end of.
    Is it cause Hunt is Irish , that everyone else here believes Hunt is 100 % not
    at fault .

• Advertisement

if it was Drogba that clattered into Shay Given , and put him out for a year , would we all be so forgiving ?

thebaz wrote:
    Is it cause Hunt is Irish , that everyone else here believes Hunt is 100 % not at fault .

Really clutching at straws now, it has nothing to do with the fact that Hunt is Irish/anything, it has to do with the fact that the vast majority of people view this as nothing more than an unfortunate accident.
    if it was Drogba that clattered into Shay Given , and put him out for a year , would we all be so forgiving ?

:rolleyes: If it was Cahill or Johnson clattering into Cech would you be reacting the same way?

I don't see too many people raging about Given's injury, and Glenn Roeder certainly didn't come out all guns blazing blaming Harewood, West Ham and the NHS. Thats the main difference.

thebaz wrote:
    What are you talking about? Given got seriously injured while playing for Newcastle about a month ago and nobody is calling for Harewood to be banned. I actually had to look up his name cos I couldn't remember his name. Bet I wouldn't have had to do that if Mourinho was managing Newcastle for that match.

Injuries are part of football, always have been and always will.

You really do speak a lot of nonsense thebaz.

BaZmO* wrote:
    What are you talking about? Given got seriously injured while playing for Newcastle about a month ago and nobody is calling for Harewood to be banned. I actually had to look up his name cos I couldn't remember his name. Bet I wouldn't have had to do that if Mourinho was managing Newcastle for that match.

Injuries are part of football, always have been and always will.

You really do speak a lot of nonsense thebaz.

Given didn't get a fractured skull , and i've personally picked up eneogh injuries to know its a physical game , and people get hurt , but i still believe Hunt could have made a better effort to avoid contact.
    Anyway , couldnt be bothered mixing it with you lot anymore, with your "rubbish" , " nonsense" insults .

Just remember Cech, best goalie in the world, is out of the game for a year
    while Hunt can go back and play for Reading reserves this weekend.
    End of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

thebaz wrote:
    Given didn't get a fractured skull , and i've personally picked up eneogh injuries to know its a physical game , and people get hurt , but i still believe Hunt could have made a better effort to avoid contact.
    Anyway , couldnt be bothered mixing it with you lot anymore, with your "rubbish" , " nonsense" insults .

End of.
    That is a load of rubbish.

What are your thoughts on Given and Harewood?

What does Cech's ability have to do with anything? If he were a woeful keeper would it not matter?

To say Hunt could have made a better effort to avoid contact is complete and utter dog turd. Football is a contact sport and in your own words "its a physical game and people get hurt".

But all this disagreement is just because Hunt is Irish. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

thebaz wrote:
    End of.
    So if it happened to a goalkeeper of lesser ability it would've been okay?

thebaz wrote:
    End of.

Shay Given is out for at least six weeks, I suppose Harewood shouldn't be allowed play for that duration too?

I'm massively confused as to what you want to happen Hunt exactly.

thebaz wrote:
    Given didn't get a fractured skull
    No but he sustained a one-centimetre tear in his bowel and had to have emergency surgery to have it repaired.

thebaz wrote:
    but i still believe Hunt could have made a better effort to avoid contact.
    So what about Harewood? Should he have made a better effort to avoid contact? I don't see you calling for him to be banned. Maybe it's FA favouritism towards West Ham?

thebaz wrote:
    I'm gonna go with the obvious here and say that maybe if you didn't talk "rubbish" and "nonsense" people wouldn't be having a go at you for doing so.

thebaz wrote:
    End of.
    As the others have already said, what has his ability as a Goalkeeper got to do with your argument.

thebaz wrote:
    Well as seen as Hunt has played a part in all but one of Reading's games this season I doubt he'll be heading back to the reserves.

"Petr Cech was unlucky to play football against a hunter. He is lucky to be OK after scary surgery."

- José Mourinho's programme notes. Surely he can't be allowed to continue like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Hunt will escape punishment (cue more Mourinho comments and another 10 pages in this thread :) )

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=423016&CPID=8&clid=8&lid=2&title=No+charges+over+Cech
    The Football Association will be taking no action against Reading's Stephen Hunt after the clash which saw Petr Cech suffer a fractured skull.

Chelsea were quick in condemning Hunt following the incident at the weekend and wanted The FA to investigate.

The FA have now reviewed the footage of the challenge and have decided the Royals midfielder has no case to answer.

Similarly there will be no action taken against Ibrahima Sonko following his challenge on Carlo Cudicini, which saw the Italian suffer concussion late in the game at The Madejski Stadium.

The FA did announce that Reading assistant manager Kevin Dillon and Chelsea fitness coach Rui Faria were 'reminded' of their responsibilities after an incident in the technical area.

Andre Bikey and John Obi Mikel were also warned about their conduct in relation to how they reacted after both were sent off.

Advertisement