Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8800gtx price ?

Options
  • 15-10-2006 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

Anyone care to hazard a guess what OcUK will be charging for the 8800GTX on the 8th Nov ?

My guess is 500 sterling a pop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Yeah around 500 sterling easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

probably around that. you'd be better waiting a few months for dx10 cards tho, wait til vista gets a good few bugs worked out of it, and there are stable drivers for the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

na wait for the second round of dx10 cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

yeah...but the G80 will be the fastest card out regardless of DX10. The only thing to compete will be the R600 but that is not expected till Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

It will also be stupidly expensive. Learn the lessons that everyone else have learned already..

I bought my X1900 for 400 sterling on launch in Feb, now look how much it costs for the X1950. Also, the first get cards are always all over the shop price wise and are replaced pretty quickly in a line refrest.

You will also have no way to truely gauge how it will perform when compared to other DX10 cards as ATI's solution will not be out to March or so.

Finally, the card is based on the 90nm manufacturing process and I would be willing to bet big bucks that a new card will be released based on the 65nm process very soon afterwards. I would also imagine it is safe to assume the card based on the 65nm manufacturing process will run cooler and probably clock a fair bit higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

It will also be stupidly expensive. Learn the lessons that everyone else have learned already..

Memories, from the corner of my mind.

Misty water-coloured, money wasted memories. Of the way things were.

Waste of money, 500 wll be 425 at time of delivery, 350 within 1 month and 250 in 3 months. Not worth the money.

I pretty much know everything you just said...so I don't need to "learn the lessons" as you put it.

I bought a 7800GTX on day of launch and I do expect the 8800GTX to also be suitably expensive, especially from OcUK. How expensive will decide whether I buy one or two or none at all.

<edit> I was posting to get peoples opinions on what the prices will be...I am now thinking 460-480 on day of launch at OcUK who will probably claim to have 90% of Europes allocation like before. I also reckon there will likely be XFX or BFG preoverclocked versions going for closer to 600. If it's anything like the 7800GTX launch, the prices will stay inflated for about 2 months and then drop to around 430-440. After Vista launch probably around 350. I cannot see them going down to 250 in 3months krazy_8s. I don't see the 7950GX2 selling for this or any top card that has been out for 3 months ? I think the U.S. will probably be a different situaiton. If there is alot of competition between the etailors like before, they will be significantly cheaper.</edit>

250 second hand, do you think when this card comes out a 7950gtx for anything over 250 will be worth it? I dont view the price of a card in terms of what I bought it for, but what I can sell it for. I dont have money to burn anymore.

As for price, since its the only dx10 card on the market I'd say around 500 sterling. Why? Because they can. Price will drop when Ati can respond which in terms of competition is soon.

Either way I dont care as Vista is a big no no.

yeah...500 will be entirely possible....I hope not though. I definitely don't see myself going sli with g80's and the shops will probably gouge on the 680i sli mobos which will probably launch the same day. That's an 1800 euro upgrade !!

Flaccus wrote:
    yeah...500 will be entirely possible....I hope not though. I definitely don't see myself going sli with g80's and the shops will probably gouge on the 680i sli mobos which will probably launch the same day. That's an 1800 euro upgrade !!

for 1800 you could buy high range gaming pc.

• Advertisement

I know...and I have one. Plus I have already presold my 7950GX2 so I reckon I will be getting a G80...unlikely SLI though. However if the price is totally crazy (as in 600 sterling), an Xfire setup might be possibly cheaper and faster. Next month will be interesting I think.

I'm curious to how this card will perform at dx-9 games if it was designed for dx-10. With Vista coming out in March, 1 or 2 games around that time and at least another 3 or 4 months for half-decent driver support are these 1st gen cards going be worth it?

It is rumoured to have a hybridcore...I am betting it will do very well in DX9.....Some guesses on the web are 50% improvement over a 7950GX2. Would be nice to play Oblivion at 1920x1200 at over 30fps for once. I am buying it mainly for DX9 peformance improvements and because it is coming around at the time of year where I will have money to hopefully get an sli rig.

The ATI card is supposed to be a pure DX10 card or at least have more DX10 features, but with so few DX10 games out by the time ATI launches their card in Feb/March., DX9 will probably be the dominant force in games.

Of course Kentsfield is out next month, and there are already games being developed to take advantage of quad core (Alan Wake springs to mind). More money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Nice PC there Flaccus ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The new ATi cards are going to be expensive, but it should hopefully be worth it.
    512bit bus makes pcb design and manufacture that much more difficult and hence expensive. However, ATI now have access to AMD's fabs, so they could get more working dies per wafer than nVidia...
    I really like the enhance programability and versatility of the new designs.
    Physics, raytracing and horizontal scaling is good.

I can't help shake the feeling that nVidia are making mistakes similar to those 3dfx made against nVidia itself years ago.
    ie going for all-out speed at the expense of image quality (32-bit colour).
    History is repeating itself.

Yeah...the ati might be better and might be worth waiting for, BUT it is going to be so hard to resist nvidia in 4 weeks time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Wow :eek: Thats a serious rig ya got there Flaccus

Thanks. It's still a WIP. Expecting all the parts by Tuesday. The rig I am using right now is a workstation and actually more powerful on the CPU side (it has 4 cores) but doesn't overclock. Hence the need to change.

All I can say is I will be really depressed if the G80 is 500 sterling as that puts me over buget for SLI and an Nvidia mobo. Of course if I get a god price on my Bad Axe on boards it might not be so bad. Have already presold my 7950GX2 :)

When are you selling the badaxe? I was going to buy a new board tommorow.

Heheh.....just got it last week, but am selling it in 4 weeks time if I go G80 SLI :)

• Advertisement

krazy_8s wrote:
    When are you selling the badaxe? I was going to buy a new board tommorow.

Wanna buy a Dfi Infinity 975x, Thinkin bout changin to Asus or maybe r600

Well, I will stick my Bad Axe up on boards when the G80 launches, assuming I can afford 2 G80's and Nforce 580i sli mobo.

PogMoThoin wrote:
    Wanna buy a Dfi Infinity 975x, Thinkin bout changin to Asus or maybe r600

I'v heard bad things about that boards oc potential.

krazy_8s wrote:
    I'v heard bad things about that boards oc potential.

:rolleyes: Ya, thats why i'm gonna sell. I've been having cold boot & warm boot issues with it while oc'ed. Pity, its a damn fast board. It will suit sum1 who isn't gonna oc. Runs fine at stock speeds. I'll loose money on this 1, prob get half what i paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Flaccus wrote:
    Well, I will stick my Bad Axe up on boards when the G80 launches, assuming I can afford 2 G80's and Nforce 580i sli mobo.

pm me wen selling ;) if it is a good ocing board i will buy it ;)

Well I only just got it, so can't comment on overclocking as I have not tried yet. So best to look at the reviews.

What made me go for it, was according to many people on the OcUK forums it is one of, if not the most stable Core 2 Duo board. No cold boot issues. It just works and very good at controlling vdroop too. I think my one is a 306 rev too. One guy on OcUK tried the Asus top of the line Core2Duo mobo, Gigabyte, DFI etc.. and found the Intel the best of the lot. Very well layed out too. And with a whopper of a heatsink instead of heatpipes can be used in an inverted case like the Lian Li V1000 problem.

From what I have read over on XS, it has very good overclocking potential and with a simple mod the 1333fsb bootstrap can be enabled. 500mhz is entirely possible. Also extra options for overclocking open up in the bios with a 10 second conductive paint mod. None of this needed if you have a Core 2 Duo. So I won't be bother with these mods. I will probably just go for a minor overclock and run my Core2Duo at 3.6ghz.

If I can afford an Nforce 680i sli mobo and 2xG80's on launch day, this board will be selling. At that point it will only be a month old so I probably won't be giving a huge discount. Will still be a good deal though. I might even have to sell it to afford the Nvidia board so it could be a presale. So certainly a good deal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

You will be so sorry you wasted 1000£+ on 2 g80's and a new mobo.

Take the advice from earlier posts and wait for 2nd generation dx10 cards. What you have at the moment is more then enough.

And what syxpaek says is seeming a certain thing.

At least wait few weeks to hear from other people and see what they say about it. As i have a feeling dx10 drivers are gonna be a absolute killer.

But you obviously have more money then sense, so its your choice :p

The old chestnut...more money then sense...:rolleyes:

I will wait to see what the early previews say allright...there will be something this week after editors day. But to be honest, it looks like I can afford only 1 G80 (just did the numbers). With the prices being talked about, SLI is definitely out. And even if I could afford SLI, I think I would still only get one G80 anyway and wait and see what the SLI reviews are like. If the card is going to be as expensive as some people think (I have heard up to £700 sterling today) then a Crossfire solution might be better. Regardless I have committed to selling my 7950GX2 already, so I will be getting something next month.

• Advertisement

ok flaccus pm me in a few months when you are selling the g80 and other gear :D

Advertisement