Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8800gtx price ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

why ? you won't buy it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

ill take the 7950 if it falls through with who your selling it to atm :)

noted...thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Flaccus wrote:
    why ? you won't buy it ;)

if i had a mt of money i would but dont.

i think you should have your own part of f/s section.:D

by far some of the best deal's on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Flaccus wrote:
    noted...thanks.

im already in line for this if it falls through ..no???

• Advertisement

Just reviewed my ad on adverts..yep you are right gline...you are next in line if it falls through. Forgot about that mate.

Anyway, will keep you informed on what happens with the G80.
    I expect to order 1 at the very least. Can't wait until March for ATI.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

let me know about mobo too id be interested :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ahem, I believe I posted randomly asking about that mobo first. Of course by then I will have my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

so when exactly are these direct x 10 cards gonne be released..and when is vista coming out march??

just wondering because was going to buy me a computer next february going to be my first one that i get for meself..and dont want to make any mistakes..i will have around 2200-2800 to spend on it..

Vista rtm's next month but will only ship to volume license customers. The public get it in the 2nd week Jan.

• Advertisement

If you have around 2.5k to spend you would be far better of building you own.

Yeah you could get a nice dell xps, or a alienware or even a savrow for that price. But where is the fun in that ?

Since your gonna be building it in febuary There is no point pricing any hardware now, As most if not all current hardware Will have dropped in price by maybe ~25-30% and in some cases more.

For that money, if i had that to spend, which sadly i dont :( I would be looking at a dell 2007fp monitor. A intel kentsfield cpu ( quad core ) 2-4gb ram. 2 x 750gb hdds, 4x 150gb raptor x Raid 0, Ati 620 or nvidia g80 in crossfire/Sli. Or if a newer card is out then. Myself i would watercool it at. but thats personal preference. a Creative x-fi and a nice set of 5.1/7.1 logitech or creative speakers. And a nice 1100W tagen psu.

But more then likely allof this kit will be out of date by febuary.

would i really be able to get something like that outta 2,500 euro..??

i was planning on building it anyway..well ill try..:o never had me own pc before.. let alone build one..i know how to build a pc from reading up of stuff but i just never did it before.. :p

actually made a shopping list up on komplett..of what i was supposing

http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.asp?mode=receive&si=392156&su=84C6C2B9-8112-4EB1-B686-869DF84BC8FB

except with vista replacing win xp..
    a directx 10 card replacing 7900gtx with about same power or more :D
    and maybe a E6700 or even E6800 replacing E6600 intel core 2 duo..

i will get stuff like speakers,extra hard drives etc a few weeks after i get the kit after i build up some more money.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Komplett list looks good. just a few words.
    No advantage goin for E6700 or E6800 over E6600, all clock to about the same speeds (I've got mine at 3.25Ghz on air running 24/7), save money & buy a good cooler like the Arctic Freezer Pro & oc it.
    There have been a lot of complaints & rma's of the Ocz 6400 ram. Go for something else. I'd recommend 6400 Gskill hz or Team xtreem, both well priced, have tighter latencies & clock much higher than the Ocz.

IgsTer wrote:

No...that lot would cost well over 4k.
    The 4 raptors and 2 seagates would be amost 1800 euro. Double that with a G80 Sli setup.
    And by the time you add a Kensfield, Ram, Speakers etcc. I guess that lot would come to around 5.5k at least.
    I once built a PC for more then twice that :)

Flaccus wrote:
    IgsTer wrote:

The 4 raptors and 2 seagates would be amost 1800 euro. Double that with a G80 Sli setup.
    And by the time you add a Kensfield, Ram, Speakers etcc. I guess that lot would come to around 5.5k at least.

In febuary the prices should have dropped considerably.

Okay all the hdds was a bit ambitious but it is do-able surely

For about 2.9k you could get this from OcUK.
    It's only a 2.13 core 2 duo, 320gig drives (not 750), and a 1900 Xfire setup (not G80's).

MB-061-GI Gigabyte GA_965P_DS3 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard (MB-061-GI) 1
    £91.99 £91.99
    MY-058-GL GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB6400UDC) (MY-058-GL) 1
    £164.99 £164.99
    GX-045-CO ATI Radeon X1900 ***Crossfire/Master Edition*** 512MB GDDR3 (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-045-CO) 1
    £224.99 £224.99
    GX-053-HT HIS ATI Radeon X1900 XT ICEQ 3 SILENT Heatpipe 512MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-053-HT) 1
    £214.99 £214.99
    HD-078-SE Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB ST3320620AS SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (HD-078-SE) 2
    £62.95 £125.90
    HS-017-AR Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler (Socket 775) (HS-017-AR) 1
    £14.99 £14.99
    CA-004-CS Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU (CMPSU-620HXUK) (CA-004-CS) 1
    £99.99 £99.99
    CA-054-LL Lian-Li PC-7 PLUS Black Aluminium Midi-Tower Case (No PSU) (CA-054-LL) 1
    £48.99 £48.99
    SC-043-CL Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music - OEM (SC-043-CL) 1
    £49.50 £49.50
    CD-041-NE NEC AD5170 18x18 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) - OEM (CD-041-NE) 1
    £18.95 £18.95
    CP-127-IN Intel Core 2 DUO E6400 "LGA775 Allendale" 2.13GHz (1066FSB) - Retail (CP-127-IN) 1
    £142.99 £142.99
    SP-021-LG Logitech Z-5500 THX® Certified 5.1 505 Watts Speakers - Retail (SP-021-LG) 1
    £176.95 £176.95
    MO-010-DE Dell Ultrasharp 2007FP 20.1" Performance LCD Monitor - Midnight Grey (MO-010-DE) 1
    £264.99 £264.99
    Subtotal £1,640.21
    VAT £287.04
    Total £1,927.25

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

roflmao @ 2,500 for all that stuff...

anyone have any idea's how much power these new gfx cards are gonna need?

PogMoThoin wrote:
    Komplett list looks good. just a few words.
    No advantage goin for E6700 or E6800 over E6600, all clock to about the same speeds (I've got mine at 3.25Ghz on air running 24/7), save money & buy a good cooler like the Arctic Freezer Pro & oc it.
    There have been a lot of complaints & rma's of the Ocz 6400 ram. Go for something else. I'd recommend 6400 Gskill hz or Team xtreem, both well priced, have tighter latencies & clock much higher than the Ocz.

well i wouldnt really want to mess around with overclockingto be honest..i dont like messing around with that stuff..dont what to feck any of me components up..:( ..rather just buy the components as they are..and then maybe overclock them when i can afford to..i also want to buy everything off komplett in one batch..and they do not have the artic cooler pro thing on there as far as i can see and i cant find the ram on there you said either.. :rolleyes:

thanks anyway PogMoThoin :D

and i knew that rig would cost alot more than 2.5 grand.. :o

flaccus you say you built a rig twice as much as 5 grand..are you the onen who sold that lethal computer on adverts.ie with the blu-ray writer/player and 2 monitors and other lethal components..cost ya 10,000-16,000 or something you sold it for 6,000??

there's some Zalman coolers on komplett

eg - https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306455

yep...I had some issues at the time :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

IgsTer wrote:
    well i wouldnt really want to mess around with overclockingto be honest..i dont like messing around with that stuff..dont what to feck any of me components up..:( ..rather just buy the components as they are..and then maybe overclock them when i can afford to..i also want to buy everything off komplett in one batch..and they do not have the artic cooler pro thing on there as far as i can see and i cant find the ram on there you said either.. :rolleyes:

thanks anyway PogMoThoin :D

:rolleyes: How do you mean "afford to overclock", the idea of overclocking is to buy cheaper components & make them run faster ie. buy a E6600 & make it go faster than a E6800. Just think of this when your building, get a case with good airflow, good quality ram, a good cpu cooler & a good quality psu. The only thing stopping you from oc'ing is "Heat". If you keep all these things in mind when you buy your parts you'll have no problem pushing your rig faster, much faster than C2D extreme speeds. Works out cheaper than buying a E6800.

Cooler: https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=312473
    Ram: https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=321028
    Psu: https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=324468

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

roflmao @ 2,500 for all that stuff...

anyone have any idea's how much power these new gfx cards are gonna need?

300W apparently.

Flaccus wrote:
    IgsTer wrote:

well if you think about it, the G80's are predicted by this thread to be 600 sterling atleast... thats about 900euro for one card like... a bit mad, especially if you want to do sli.....1800 for 2gfx cards, kentsfield will be probably 700euro for the higher ranged ones. as you said, the hdd's would be over 1800euro. thats 4500euro for gfx, hdd's + cpu. still have to get a mobo that supports kentsfield, probably a 1kw psu for the 2 gfx + kentsfield etc, ram, cooling, etc.

2,500 euro my arse

The way Gibbo on OcUK forums is talking they are 200 coming into the UK. He pulled this before with the 7800GTX 256meg and everyone was gagging for them big time. And of course the price went through the roof. I think they were about 460 sterling on launch day. So yeah...600 sterling for the G80.

I tell you one thing...I will be getting only 1 now. 2 would be crraaazzzy at those prices.

well if they're all they're worked up to be, one should be enough :p

I was talking sterling. But i can see it is way off, i didnt realise how much them 750gb hdds actually were. And i was on about buying it in febuary, when the prices should drop a good bit. As second generation dx10 cards could be out by then, Amd will have its 4x4 and intel will have its kentsfield,Which should drive a price war. Ram would be anyones guess as it is not a stable market for the consumer. Plus after xmas, prices always drop a little bit more.

The new 8800GTX is rumoured to require a 450w psu on a fully loaded typically gaming rig, and up to 800w in SLI. According to JohnnyGuru.com who is pretty much the webs expert on PSU's he reckons that's nonsense and there is no way sli could double your requirements. Personally I think if you have a quality 700w supply sli should not be an issue.

What is an issue and guru confirms this, is the problem of rails. These gpu's sucK a lot of amps from the 12v rail and in some psu's (Silverstone, Antec etc..) this causes OCP (over current protection) to activate in accordance with Intels ATX12V standard on no rail over 240va. Effectively even though your brand spanking new Enermax might have 4 rails, 18amps per rail may not cut it on a GPU like the 8800GTX which will suck power off one rail only. Or if you have a PSU where your don't know what rail is for what peripheral (12v1 for cpu, 12v2 for gpu) you could be in trouble too. This is why I went out and bought the Seasonic M12 700W. Even though it is listed as having 4 x 12v rails, this is a labelling error. Seasonic got permission from Intel to break the 240VA limit and made one big massive rail. Something like 72A. Very nice. We should see more PSU makers doing this as Intel have now unofficially relaxed this part of the ATX standard. Just to be safe though I went out and bought an independent Thermalktake 250W psu which sits in your 5.25" bay and is used to power video cards only via 2 PCI-e connectors. So potentially could power 1 8800gtx this way, and the other via the Seasonic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

SyxPak wrote:
    The new ATi cards are going to be expensive, but it should hopefully be worth it.
    512bit bus makes pcb design and manufacture that much more difficult and hence expensive. However, ATI now have access to AMD's fabs, so they could get more working dies per wafer than nVidia...
    I really like the enhance programability and versatility of the new designs.
    Physics, raytracing and horizontal scaling is good.

I can't help shake the feeling that nVidia are making mistakes similar to those 3dfx made against nVidia itself years ago.
    ie going for all-out speed at the expense of image quality (32-bit colour).
    History is repeating itself.
    That's why they're ati fanbois tho! Clever and efficient design, over brute force power(and image quality).

However now that AMD has bought ATI, it doesn't mean they have instant access to their fabs. They will continue with their current fab, TMSC I think, until the AMD makes room for ATI at their own fabs. So don't expect to see anything coming out of AMD fabs for at least two years. Production capacity will remain the same until then.

PogMoThoin wrote:
    :rolleyes: How do you mean "afford to overclock", the idea of overclocking is to buy cheaper components & make them run faster ie. buy a E6600 & make it go faster than a E6800. Just think of this when your building, get a case with good airflow, good quality ram, a good cpu cooler & a good quality psu. The only thing stopping you from oc'ing is "Heat". If you keep all these things in mind when you buy your parts you'll have no problem pushing your rig faster, much faster than C2D extreme speeds. Works out cheaper than buying a E6800.

Cooler: https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=312473
    Ram: https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=321028
    Psu: https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=324468

well like to get the 2.500 grand im going to be saving from now till january..and i dont want to get the rig and over clock it and then something like the processor frys,or other stuff fry..and ill have to save up once again to get the broken component..although when i do get the rig i will probably feel the urge to get more power out of it and decide to overclock it but until then id be afraid to overclock..unless i knew how to and what are the restrictions etc i wouldnt touch it..

but for my first ever pc i want to get everything right..and want it to perform relatively well on its own without overclocking and then when i start upgrading the parts after i buy the rig afetr a few months then i will start to overclock id say..

well i see i picked the right psu..i think i had that in my komplett list..i do like the look of the ocz 6400 ram doh nice and shiny.. :D and i probably will be gettin a zalman fan now that yous said that there good..

well i wonnt be gettin this till next year any how so there will probably be even better parts out for cheaper so noting is certain as of right now..so ill definetly be coming back for advise before then..thanks again pogmothoin..i will defo be back for more advise from ya...and maybe help me ta overclock me system..:D

and faccus loved that system of urs wouldnt be able tas let her go.. :(

so how much in euros will a 8800gtx cost around january-february..??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

What I really want to know is how much another 7900gtx will cost me ??

or what would I get for it if I upgrade ??

I also need a new monitor if Dell will do a deal on your old one .

Advertisement