Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8800gtx price ?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Not gonna upgrade until 2nd gen DX10 cards drop, around the same time as Bearlake and 1333 Core 2 Duo etc.

My brand new 7600GS have 12 pipes and plays everything fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

im gonna wait and see with the whole dx10 thing, will probably take awhile for game developers to start using the new features , took them awhile to use some of the features that where on the earlier nvidia cards (6800 series). So id say middle to late next year i will think about getting it, unless the prices drop dramatically before then. Also im very weary of using a new microsoft OS, not looking forward to that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

After spending ages getting my mobo installed just right in my akasa case I don't think I could stand having to do another install. Probably just get the 1 G80 then. Maybe another when prices comes down. Roll on the 8th November.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

well wikipedia ftfw tbh. wiki says the release price will be $649 for the gtx, that comes in at around 469euro. gg wiki

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

expect it to be higher. Alot higher, As demand will be high, so price will be high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

yeah ill probably wait till the sumemr to get one or a 8900gtx instead..if there is one coming out :)

anyway what card would be better to get at the moment a 7950gx2 1gb or a 1950xtx 512mb gdd4 whats more powerful..im confused because i seen a link to card chart on here and the 1950 was slaughtering the 7950 but when i go to toms hardware my self which is were ithink the link was pointing to it shows the 7950 gx2 being on top..so a bit of help please..

was previously getting a 7950gx2 but now that i saw the 1950xtx and its nearly 150 euro cheaper and more powerful... i hope... i might get that instead..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

What Resolutions do you play at?

well ill be getin a 20 inch samsung widescreen..so as it states on that ill be playing at 1680 x 1050 ..i think thats it in anyway

Gibbo on OcUK has already confirmed 150 sterling more then the GX2, so that put's it at 500-550 quid. So expect to pay up to 820 euro for this card. The $650 rrp is US price without 17.5% VAT. The rest of the price is made up by import costs into the UK and OcUK "gouging" using the supply/demand chestnut.

IgsTer wrote:
    was previously getting a 7950gx2 but now that i saw the 1950xtx and its nearly 150 euro cheaper and more powerful... i hope... i might get that instead..

hate to dash your hopes but the 1950xtx is not more powerful except it gets better framerates in Oblivion. look at any of the reviews on reputable sites like Anandtech, Hexus, TechReport, TomsHardware, Xtremesystems, Firingsquad etc..

• Advertisement

oh :(..but would the 1950xtx still be a better buy than the 7950gx2 considering that direct x 10 cards are just around the corner..??

Of course....but the 1900xt or the new 1950pro would be a better buy again if you intend upgrading to a DX10 card very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Flaccus wrote:
    Gibbo on OcUK has already confirmed 150 sterling more then the GX2, so that put's it at 500-550 quid. So expect to pay up to 820 euro for this card. The $650 rrp is US price without 17.5% VAT. The rest of the price is made up by import costs into the UK and OcUK "gouging" using the supply/demand chestnut.
    Gibbo is notorious for price gouging alright, hyping up interest and talking the game to make sure all demand is sky high.

Yeah....he's a cunny funt the way he tries it on with the prices. I most certainly will NOT be buying 2 G80's like I intended as they are not going to be sold at RRP. 1 for sure as I have already presold my 7950GX2 on boards. Also SLI on G80 is an unknown quantity. Inquirer who are not always right said sli was broken and reports are that it's a new way of doing sli. Also, no chipset reviews out yet and it looks like only EVGA will be selling the 680i mobos in Europe and BFG in the US. Think I will stick with my Intel Bad Axe till we know more about these boards and maybe next year go for a 2nd G80 and SLI mobo.

<edit> Anyone out there want my Thermaltake Purepower 250w sli psu..fits in a 5.25" bay, 2xpci cables, sleeved...works for Xfire and SLI and ideal for someone with an underpowered psu..pretty quiet too...have not installed it yet..so new !!...might stick it on adverts </edit>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Flaccus wrote:
    Yeah....he's a cunny funt the way he tries it on with the prices. I most certainly will NOT be buying 2 G80's like I intended as they are not going to be sold at RRP. 1 for sure as I have already presold my 7950GX2 on boards. Also SLI on G80 is an unknown quantity. Inquirer who are not always right said sli was broken and reports are that it's a new way of doing sli. Also, no chipset reviews out yet and it looks like only EVGA will be selling the 680i mobos in Europe and BFG in the US. Think I will stick with my Intel Bad Axe till we know more about these boards and maybe next year go for a 2nd G80 and SLI mobo.

<edit> Anyone out there want my Thermaltake Purepower 250w sli psu..fits in a 5.25" bay, 2xpci cables, sleeved...works for Xfire and SLI and ideal for someone with an underpowered psu..pretty quiet too...have not installed it yet..so new !!...might stick it on adverts </edit>

if it get it for free :d

Certainly, I will deliver it in person, and install it in your pc for you as well. would you like that :rolleyes:

alri kool thanx flaccus..i dont intend to buy a 8800 or 8900 if its out till around next summer..so i will go with 1950xtx for now.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Flaccus wrote:
    Certainly, I will deliver it in person, and install it in your pc for you as well. would you like that :rolleyes:

ok:p :D:)

I was speaking to Fudo from the Inquirer earlier and hopefully he might post about OcUK's price gouging in this matter.

While the rest of the world were complaining about the $650 price tag last week and the ad today on atacom pricing the G80 at $800 (taken down now) (http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35416); OcUK came out on their forums and said the BFG model they are getting would likely be 150 quid more then current GX2. Which puts it over 500 quid or around $950.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17644192
    See 4th post on 1st page.

Again another example of pure gouging...even with the 17.5% vat and import costs, they know by saying there are few coming into the UK demand will be high, so they think this justifies charging this insane price. Insane becuase the rest of the world is so much cheaper and RRP is $650. And while they are in the business of making a profit, how much is enough ? Pure and utter greed as far as I am concerned.

I have already made arrangements to get mine imported on launch day from the US. No point in complaining on their forums either as you get banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

thats a pitty, boycot? any specs handy?

• Advertisement

ah its not a new thing, every new card/cpu etc that there is a demand for always ends up costing a bomb, tis a rip off

you are better off getting it in from the states if at all possible

Agreed, and I am or possibly from one of the european etailers. Everyone knows OcUK are ripoff merchants so won't be buying from they no matter what. I actually doubt many people will. And if they get the stock levels they are expecting (around 50 at a guess), I don't think they will sellout at those extorionate prices within a few minutes like they expect. There was plenty of 7800GTX's left for days after the launch primarily because people were put off by their greedy prices and went elsewhere.

Flaccus wrote:
    Agreed, and I am or possibly from one of the european etailers. Everyone knows OcUK are ripoff merchants so won't be buying from they no matter what. I actually doubt many people will. And if they get the stock levels they are expecting (around 50 at a guess), I don't think they will sellout at those extorionate prices within a few minutes like they expect. There was plenty of 7800GTX's left for days after the launch primarily because people were put off by their greedy prices and went elsewhere.

ah i still think they will sell to be honest, ocuk jack up prices becuase they know they can and htey know it wont hurt their repution, ruin their reputation and then they will stop doing it I'd say

You are probably right, and I suppose ranting about their prices on their forums will get me banned. Don't care though. The more people that buy elsewhere the better.

Flaccus wrote:
    You are probably right, and I suppose ranting about their prices on their forums will get me banned. Don't care though. The more people that buy elsewhere the better.

just try and get it the cheapst you can ;) that is your aim.

and then let us know how it preforms :p

Out of interest your sig says that you have 2xGX2's ? Do you mind me asking why when quad sli is slower then sli over huge cpu overhead and DX9 only supporting 2 GPU's. With a 30" screen it would be a different matter as 2500x1600 with lots of aa under a game that supports quad sli means one gpu would take care of the aa giving you roughly 45fps to play with. I found this out the hard way (expensive way) myself :(

Flaccus wrote:
    Out of interest your sig says that you have 2xGX2's ? Do you mind me asking why when quad sli is slower then sli over huge cpu overhead and DX9 only supporting 2 GPU's. With a 30" screen it would be a different matter as 2500x1600 with lots of aa under a game that supports quad sli means one gpu would take care of the aa giving you roughly 45fps to play with. I found this out the hard way (expensive way) myself :(

mines still work in progress so i havent tested it yet

trust me - 2 gx2's would be a colossal error. On a 2407 at 1920x1200 1 gx2 will be faster. Every review out there of quad sli shows this, and crossfire handily beating it. 1 G80 would be your best bet :) Also that dominator memory is very very pricey for what it does in my opinion. Even Corsair say it is exactly the same stuff as their cheaper 8500C5 TwinX, except has fancy fan and heatspreaders. Lots of problems with Corsair DDR2 on houseofhelp forums too. Personally I went for the Gskill 6400 HZ stuff as it uses the same ic's as their more expensive 8000 HZ and is generally good for 500mhz+. Plus if timings matter to you (makes very little difference on Core2Duo), the 6400 stuff at stock can do 4,4,4,5 or better.

Flaccus wrote:
    trust me - 2 gx2's would be a colossal error. On a 2407 at 1920x1200 1 gx2 will be faster. Every review out there of quad sli shows this, and crossfire handily beating it. 1 G80 would be your best bet :) Also that dominator memory is very very pricey for what it does in my opinion. Even Corsair say it is exactly the same stuff as their cheaper 8500C5 TwinX, except has fancy fan and heatspreaders. Lots of problems with Corsair DDR2 on houseofhelp forums too. Personally I went for the Gskill 6400 HZ stuff as it uses the same ic's as their more expensive 8000 HZ and is generally good for 500mhz+. Plus if timings matter to you (makes very little difference on Core2Duo), the 6400 stuff at stock can do 4,4,4,5 or better.

meh, il try it out and if it doesnt work il send it back. Also the memory i got isnt the dearest ones, the 8888's come with the fan unit, the ones i got doesnt, its all ordered now anyway, so when i get it il just try it all out

• Advertisement

Surprised you ordered another GX2 considering the utter sh*te reviews it has got in quad mode. Hope you can get games to behave with quad sli.

Advertisement