Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any Suggestions? Opel Astra

Options
  • 15-10-2006 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Alrite lads,

Me car died during the week and had to be rescued by the AA.
    Turns out the head cylinder gasket needs replacing, along with the water pump and timing belt.

Ive been ringing around to get it sorted, and the odd mechanic will help me out - but for around the €600 mark.

The cars an Opel Astra 96, 1.3, 100k on clock,

She'll be scrapped around January (end of insurance) - but I need her until then.
    Just need to get her patched up till then.

Any Suggestions...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

If I was you I'd put a second-hand engine in it, its the cheapest option really in my view anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don't think a replacement engine will be cheaper than a head gasket and timing belt. (water pumps aren't overly expensive either) The timing belt be done anyway when they do the gasket, Shop around and see if you can get the work done cheaper.

You'd get an older Astra for very small money, around my area anyway 1-200euros max, a handy mechanic would swop an engine for you for 200 euros max and a quick service and timing belt, 150 max, so the whole thing shouldn't cost you more than 550 if you know where to look.

I dunno, If he can't get a mechanic to do a belt pump and gasket for under €600, he's unlikely to get an engine transplant all in for the same money.

Also, the engine that he transplants may need a new water pump or gasket soon anyway, just seems like more trouble than it's worth swapping engines.

The big problem with Opels, like many other makes, is that when you do the headgasket they tend to burn oil and Opel engines have a nasty habit of blowing up for no apparent reason once they have been opened up. Personally I'd change the engine but its your choice ultimately.

• Advertisement

either way it's gonna cost! perhaps a different car (older Lancer/323/Sunny) might be the solution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 DJDonaL

Cheers lads

Advertisement