Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is ntl broadband avaidable in blanchardstown?

Options
  • 15-10-2006 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

is ntl broadband avaidable in blanchardstown,about 2 miles from shopping centre ,i read faq,re southside,just checking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

gamer wrote:
    is ntl broadband avaidable in blanchardstown,about 2 miles from shopping centre ,i read faq,re southside,just checking.

yup. Wouldnt reccomend it though. Ive had it for around 18 months and since day one, i have had a problem which still isnt resolved. My connection drops about 10 times a day. Usually just for around 1 minute but it wont reconnect until I restart the PC. Sometimes it drops for a couple of hours. Ive been on to NTL about this countless times and gotten nowehere. Ive given up trying at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Tusky wrote:
    yup. Wouldnt reccomend it though. Ive had it for around 18 months and since day one, i have had a problem which still isnt resolved. My connection drops about 10 times a day. Usually just for around 1 minute but it wont reconnect until I restart the PC. Sometimes it drops for a couple of hours. Ive been on to NTL about this countless times and gotten nowehere. Ive given up trying at this stage.

I dont live anywhere near Blanch, but this has started happening in our flat. Connected straight to the modem and to my shock I see a different external ip every time after a dis-connect. Now I am not sure of this, but dont you normally get a lease of a ip untill you have been offline for a certain amount of time due to easy tracking of your usage for the company? I cant think of many networks that would constantly assign a new ip to a mac address ten times a day.

krazy_8s wrote:
    I dont live anywhere near Blanch, but this has started happening in our flat. Connected straight to the modem and to my shock I see a different external ip every time after a dis-connect. Now I am not sure of this, but dont you normally get a lease of a ip untill you have been offline for a certain amount of time due to easy tracking of your usage for the company? I cant think of many networks that would constantly assign a new ip to a mac address ten times a day.

Hmmm. Hadnt noticed that. What router do you have ? I have the Zyxel Prestige 600 series. The reason they gave me for this happening was that my pc isnt near enough to the phone line in the wall. They told me they cant guarantee a quality service if its more than 3 metres away or something along those lines. Funny how they never mentioned that during the install...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Tusky wrote:
    Hmmm. Hadnt noticed that. What router do you have ? I have the Zyxel Prestige 600 series. The reason they gave me for this happening was that my pc isnt near enough to the phone line in the wall.
    Since when did NTL broadband come in over a phoneline?

Foxwood wrote:
    Since when did NT broadband come in over a phoneline?

Not the phone line...the box on the wall that was previously used for the phone line.

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote:
    Not the phone line...the box on the wall that was previously used for the phone line.
    The Zyxel Prestige 600 Series are ADSL modems. NTL doesn't do ADSL. NTL does Cable broadband.

is ntl broadband avaidable in blanchardstown?
    By the way do you mean available or avoidable? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

this person has ntl cable ,wants ntl bband, they dont wanna get phone line installed, ntl net acess is ok,for casual,browsing.At least faster than ibb ,i think.Its only slightly more expensive than ibb.19euro per month.I dont expect hi speed like smart 4 that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 malcoolm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Tusky wrote:
    Hmmm. Hadnt noticed that. What router do you have ? I have the Zyxel Prestige 600 series. The reason they gave me for this happening was that my pc isnt near enough to the phone line in the wall. They told me they cant guarantee a quality service if its more than 3 metres away or something along those lines. Funny how they never mentioned that during the install...

Want to hear a funny story, we replaced the co-axial cable that Ntl had from the wall to the modem. Now we have no more diss-connects all evening.

• Advertisement

question : do you need a phone line to get broadband...i.e do you NEED to pay line rental if you are not going to be using a phone ?

Tusky wrote:
    question : do you need a phone line to get broadband...i.e do you NEED to pay line rental if you are not going to be using a phone ?
    Wireless broadband and Cable broadband don't use phone lines.

Broadband over a phoneline is called DSL or ADSL. You have to have a phone line to get DSL. You have to pay line rental to get a phone line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

you pay line rental for a phone line,even if you never make a call.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

krazy_8s wrote:
    Now I am not sure of this, but dont you normally get a lease of a ip untill you have been offline for a certain amount of time due to easy tracking of your usage for the company? I cant think of many networks that would constantly assign a new ip to a mac address ten times a day.
    DHCP lease time can be set to anything they like, IIRC you can pay more and get a static IP, so you can see why they don't want to give people a nearly static one. Also may help from a security point of view, if the target moves from time to time. Also reduces people runnning services (without having to use dynamic dns or somesuch. )

Advertisement