Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite TV in Europe

• 15-10-2006 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hey all. I've recently moved over to Switzerland and basically i'm wondering what the story is if i wanted to get some of the channels from home here, say the likes of RTE, BBC, CH4 and so on. what would i need to get set up. i reckon if i want the likes of sky sports and that i'ld have to get a sky and box and satellite but as i'm not in ireland or the uk that would be illegal so won't be doing that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

You can receive all the BBC and ITV's as normal as they are unencrypted, so hence you would receive them on any FTA receiver you purchase.
    Your right on the fringe of the Astra 2D signal to get BBC ITV etc, so you would more than likely need a big dish.

In terms of watching RTE, TV3 and any Sky sports over there, technically you would be doing so illegally as sky has only conditional rights to broadcast to the UK and Ireland.

There are people Irish and English living abroad that would have Sky, but would have an address in their country and a bank account/credit card from their country also. As a new subscriber under legal conditions you have to have your digibox connected to a fixed and operational telephone line.

So your options are slim to get sub channels, however you would have better luck trying to receive BBC and ITV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No, he would NOT be illegal. Sky would be breaking their agreements with their suppliers if they knowing supplied outside Ireland /UK.

But if he has a Sky sub and is not pirating the Sky Signal, but paying etc, then he is breaking no Swiss law. (Irish, UK and EU are not broken either, but don't apply in Switzerland).

He can quite legally pay for a sub to an Irish address and take card to Switzerland. Sky though are entitled to cut you off if you tell them you are not in Ireland (or else they breaking civil contract with their suppliers).

If Sky knew and chose to do nothing, they are not breaking any law either! But if the "Rights Suppliers" knew they could threaten to stop suppling Sky or to Sue them. Neither of these in reality would ever happen unless Sky openly advertised its packages outside UK/ROI.

It's a Mad, Mad, world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I would of assumed it was against the conditions of service of BSkyB that you sign.

It's confusing alright.

So it would be ok as long as the sub is in Ireland but the box and card is abroad. The next hurdle is the phoneline I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sparky-s wrote:
    I would of assumed it was against the conditions of service of BSkyB that you sign.

It's confusing alright.

So it would be ok as long as the sub is in Ireland but the box and card is abroad. The next hurdle is the phoneline I suppose.

It may contravene T&C but those are just a civil contract and the T&C ironically only apply in UK & ROI.... So when you move "abroad" you arn't breaking anything as it only applies here anyway:)

You can pay extra to not have a phone line. Or block your call ID / use call service. There ARE SkyDigiboxes in Spain on phone line:)

Advertisement