Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed with new Processor

Options
  • 15-10-2006 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭

Hey i was just wondering if i can upgrade the processor in my hp dc7600 pc as the current processor is an intel pentium D 820 2.8Ghz and i want a faster one

I have been looking at this one on komplett to upgrade to

Intel Pentium D 945 3.4GHz Socket LGA775, 4MB, BOXED w/fan
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=322651

But since its dual core would i need to buy two? (dont laugh im new to dual core stuff)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Dual core processors contain both cores on the same die, so no, you wouldn't need to buy two.
    Just make sure your current motherboard will support whatever processor you're looking to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭#Smokey#

ah i see.i have the following MB would that support it?

motherboardpc1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Googled your mobo m8 & found very little on it. Are ya sure its a Pentium D, all i found mentioned P4 & hyperthreading?

yep its a pentium D 820

says so on the startup screen.

And i was wondering if you can upgrade the mobo of hp pc's or would i need a new MB as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 DOTA_POWA

I have a pentium D945 for sale. Currently it is only 2 weeks into use. SO I am selling at 125 euros. So would you like it?

I noticed you chipset is intel 945GZ/945G. They both support dual core. And the D945 is dual core anyway. Check this link http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/express_flyer.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

it should work as its pentium D, as long as it has the same pins u should be grand

@DOTA : No thanks a friend might be able to get me one for nuthin

@BULLER : ok but if i replace the mobo will the pc bios detect it and save the changes or will a complete restore be needed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

If you hunt around on HP's website for your brand computer you will probably find a bios update for the motherboard.

But the actual chipset 945GZ supports the Pentium D 945 though without a bios update to ID the CPU it may show up as unknown or some such.

I have the latest BIOS for the pc.I got it so i could try running my Nvidia Quaddro 440 NVS ( No luck though and its up in the general swap section now ) but would there be specific MB updates on intel's site?

That is unusual that a graphics card would not work with the motherboard what happened ?

No doubt the board is a reference Intel design but I would not attempt to flash the bios updates available on Intel's site too risky.

I would say it is unlikely that the CPU would not be identified correctly if the bios is the latest.

• Advertisement

yeah i was talking to hp and they said the pc couldnt support it as the card was TOO powerful for it.I now have to try and swap it with another good gfx card.You wouldnt be interested in a swap would ya lol

No thanks I'll stick with dual 7800GTX's :)

Perhaps the reason it didn't work is that the Quadro NVS 440 is a dual GPU board, all of the official or unofficial dual GPU boards from NVIDIA's consumer lines have required a bios update to the motherboard to work.

The NVS 440 consists of two NV43 chips (GeForce 6600) so that might be it, but if it worked in other systems without issue then again could be HP incompetence.

HP even have a technical brief on the product so they must sell it with some of their systems.

Advertisement