Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Word Problem

• 15-10-2006 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭

I'm using Microsoft Word 2002 on Windows XP, accidentally saved over a file and now can't retrieve the information i saved over (i closed Word after the accidental overwrite!)

Is there any way of recovering what i lost? i always thought there was somewhere i could go to retrieve previous file saves but can't seem to find it!

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

tools - options - save
    is the fast save button ticked (not good)
    is the always create backup copy button ticked (get out of jail free card)

if the program crashed then the temporary files might be there. if you told it to overwrite your previous file then it would probably have deleted the temporary files.

if backup copy was on simply open [filename].wbk
    if backup copy was off , it just adds more proof to the idea that microsoft prefer speed to data integrity or security.

after that you are into using rest2514 or similar to undelete temporary files, BUT since word no longer saves the full doc as a temporay file all you could ever hope to recover ar snippets of text with no format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

tools - options - save
    is the fast save button ticked (not good)
    is the always create backup copy button ticked (get out of jail free card)

if the program crashed then the temporary files might be there. if you told it to overwrite your previous file then it would probably have deleted the temporary files.

if backup copy was on simply open [filename].wbk
    if backup copy was off , it just adds more proof to the idea that microsoft prefer speed to data integrity or security.

after that you are into using rest2514 or similar to undelete temporary files, BUT since word no longer saves the full doc as a temporay file all you could ever hope to recover ar snippets of text with no format.

No the fast save button isnt ticked but neither is the create backup copy button (do you recommend I do that now?)

And with this ticked once i opened the workbook file can I then go back and retrieve previously overwritten info on a word file? will these backups take up much room on my hard drive?

it does look as though i have lost this info but i'd just like to know for future info.

this is a bit annoying for them to take the approach that speed is more important than integrity and secrurity!

Cheers for the quick repsonse!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Do a search for document revisions or review or something like that.

There is a way to restore documents going back several changes but I don't know if it's enabled default or if it's in your version of Office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I can't seem to find anything, cheers all the same Brim.

Advertisement