Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackie Lawless Dies in Car Crash

• 15-10-2006 8:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

I pray this isnt true!:http://blackie-lawless.swellserver.com/news/top_stories/auto80.php

Found this earlier today. A posting on the official website reads....
    http://www.waspnation.com/waspnation.htm

As reports continue to surface on this ludicrous bad joke, Coallier Entertainment's Daniel Stanton, manager for WASP, has released the following statement from Blackie Lawless -

"If I died, I wish someone would have had the common decency to let me know, besides,
    a car crash is way too mundane, I would have opted for something more spectacular"

Blackie Lawless

Either way, gig hasnt been cancelled as of yet!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Is the new album a concept album or what?

Wasn't a fan of the Neon god albums myself. Dying for the world was great though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

scared the **** outta me when i read the title of the thread. thank god its just a hoax!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

Wasn't a fan of the Neon god albums myself. Dying for the world was great though..

Its meant to be a "back to the old days" balls out stuff with hints of all that meaningful bollox they tried to put into Dying for the world. Im interested in hearing oul Doug Blair in the studio, Live on the bonus disc of The Crimson Idol, he was terrible, but that was probably due to the fact that he only learned the songs the night before.

The gig should be good, hopefully theyll be on top form. and theyre being supported by an excellent all female band called Jaded, heres their myspace

I'm still not 100% sure If i'll go to that gig or not..haven't really liked the live recordings of all their recent gigs that i've heard.

I still think it's a shame that Chris Holmes isn't in the band anymore.
    Its meant to be a "back to the old days" balls out stuff with hints of all that meaningful bollox they tried to put into Dying for the world. Im interested in hearing oul Doug Blair in the studio, Live on the bonus disc of The Crimson Idol, he was terrible, but that was probably due to the fact that he only learned the songs the night before.

The gig should be good, hopefully theyll be on top form. and theyre being supported by an excellent all female band called Jaded, heres their myspace

• Advertisement

Yeah, Chris was deadly, i mean, he wasnt the best of guitar players, but he had characture and id take that over boring technichal playing anyday, too bad Blackie's such a prick to work with and never paid him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

JC 2K3 wrote:

Woah, i didnt know you could do that! Well, at least we know how untrue that is!

W.A.S.P.'s new album, "Dominator", will be released late January/early February via SPV Records.

"Dominator" (view cover here) track listing:

01. Mercy
    02. Burn (DEEP PURPLE cover)
    03. Take Me Up
    04. Heaven's Blessed
    05. Heaven's Hung In Black
    06. Long Long Way To Go
    07. Teacher
    08. Heaven's Hung In Black (Reprise)
    09. Fortunate Son (CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL cover)

far from being the puppet i taught he was, he can really give these guys a run for their money in his political beliefs. check this out, and imagine Green Day being THIS politically aware

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfhaEFrFsCk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Dreamcrusher

that video totally reminded me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMsVgWiJ5UE

blackie and alan partridge look remarkably similar. Also i hate when bands try and tell me whats going on in the world. Sit down, play your god damn guitar and shut up. leave politics for politicians. I dont want to a man who posed for a photo with dead babies stuck on spikes coming out of his knees telling me why 'corporate america is teh EVIL!'

• Advertisement

Yeah, Chris was deadly, i mean, he wasnt the best of guitar players, but he had characture and id take that over boring technichal playing anyday, too bad Blackie's such a prick to work with and never paid him.

I thought he was really good..loved his legato playing :)

As for the new album, two covers and a reprise song? :\

As for the new album, two covers and a reprise song? :\

Im a little confused about this one, what does a reprise song actually mean?

Im a little confused about this one, what does a reprise song actually mean?

Remember Helldorado, there was the title track after the intro, and then the last song was "hot rod to hell/Helldorado reprise" where they played Hod Rods To Hell and then went back into Helldorado and finished it off. Although i dont see how theyre gonna do a reprise all on its own, i assume Teacher is gonna change into the end of Heaven's Hung in Black, either that or tracks 5-8 are all gonna blend into a seamless mix of the four going back into Heaven's Hung In Black.

The Burn cover makes my hairs stand on end with fear...what are they gonna do to it?!! they usually dont do too bad with covers but i get this horrible feeling theyre gonna ruin it. i hope im wrong and its excellent though
    I thought he was really good..loved his legato playing :)

He was great, but unfortunatly you get alot of people saying he's a terrible guitarist. I love his playing, he's what i modelled myself on when i began playing. i love the way when they were recording The Headless Children, Blackie gave Chris explicit instructions on how he wanted to solos to be played, what style, what feeling etc, and, now forgive me but i cant remember exactly what happened cos it was years ago when i read about this but either A)Chris just went into the studio and played whatever the **** he liked, or B) He recorded everything Blackie wanted, then went into the studio one night and deleted it all and rerecorded the solos however the **** he liked.

He was great, but unfortunatly you get alot of people saying he's a terrible guitarist. I love his playing, he's what i modelled myself on when i began playing. i love the way when they were recording The Headless Children, Blackie gave Chris explicit instructions on how he wanted to solos to be played, what style, what feeling etc, and, now forgive me but i cant remember exactly what happened cos it was years ago when i read about this but either A)Chris just went into the studio and played whatever the **** he liked, or B) He recorded everything Blackie wanted, then went into the studio one night and deleted it all and rerecorded the solos however the **** he liked.

I just can't see how you think he's a great guitarist. I don't know if you've see the Sting dvd, but he ****s up so many times in that show. I mean, he even ****ed up the intro to chainsaw charlie. In my eyes anyway he's not that good.....

D.T. Jesus wrote:
    I just can't see how you think he's a great guitarist. I don't know if you've see the Sting dvd, but he ****s up so many times in that show. I mean, he even ****ed up the intro to chainsaw charlie. In my eyes anyway he's not that good.....

If you're basing it all on the Sting DVD, I wouldn't. He quit (again) soon after that so god knows if he was just not bothered to make an effort or not.

If you're basing it all on the Sting DVD, I wouldn't. He quit (again) soon after that so god knows if he was just not bothered to make an effort or not.

Thats very true, its certainly an appauling DVD to base the glory of WASP on

He was great, but unfortunatly you get alot of people saying he's a terrible guitarist.
    D.T. Jesus wrote:

see, told you.

Yeah, The Sting DVD isn't a good example, it was a pretty **** gig altogether it seemed. But in my opinion he still played good enough for me. And you dont have to get everything right all the time and play absolutly perfect to be a great guitarist, all Chris has to do is swagger blind drunk onto the stage and give it a shot and ill be happy! (although I doubt Blackie would, and he wasnt.)

Listen to their other live albums and he plays fine, i mean he's great on Live...In The Raw and Double Live Assassins, he does Bob Kulicks "The Idol" solo justice while adding his own unique style. He's great at those ballad solos like "The Idol", "Sleeping In The Fire", "Widowmaker" and all that, he puts loads of feeling into em. He always writes good solos, really memorable.

Oh, and D.T.,: "JESUS SAVES!!!", love that riff!

Live...In The Raw and Double Live Assassins

Oh, and "JESUS SAVES!!!", love that riff!

Love those albums, and the special edition of Crimson Tide with the Who cover and the acoustic stuff live from Donnington is excellent

Anyone wanna organise a boards meet up prior to this gig, ill be headin in alone:( as im the only one o my mates with good music taste lol:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I'd probably go to this if it wasn't so damn expensive. I saw WASP on the Headless Children tour, one of the best gigs I've ever been to (great lineup too, Johnny Rod, Frank Benali, Blackie and Chris). Really great show but didn't like the Crimson Idol and haven't really heard much of them since, apart from all the **** spoken about Blackie on Metal Sludge.

Love those albums, and the special edition of Crimson Tide with the Who cover and the acoustic stuff live from Donnington is excellent

I assume you mean Crimson Idol :D as Crimson Tide is a film with Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman about a submarine :)

the live stuff on that was really terrible but really great at the same time, the acoustic songs were incredible, have you seen Blackie and Johnny playing Hold On To My Heart acoustic on Youtube?, its excellent, I love Johnny Rods voice, too bad he quit and works as a paramedic now, scary thought. the live at Donnington tracks were played so terribly and Doug Blairs solos, not only are not learned cos he only learned em the day before, but his tone is horrible, it sounds like a starving cat being beaten with a baby with two broken legs. Still and all, i love it!

• Advertisement

I have mixed feelings about the album in general, but Chris plays some really nice stuff on the Inside the electric circus album :D

There's a good Live at the Lyceum video floating around the internet of WASP back in 84 or so, and Chris sounded amazing then too...the extended Sleeping in the fire solo is a highlight for me.

Live...In The Raw and KISS - Crazy Nights on tape were lent to me by my cousins boyfriend back a few years ago when i was 13 or 14, and they're the two albums which got me liking good music, i used to listen to Live...In The Raw every day, i love the two extra, never recorded in the studio, songs they play on it - Manimal and Harder, Faster

although one sourse says:
    Manimal and Harder Faster were not recorded live for the Live In The Raw album. Both are studio songs mixed with live crowd sound.

Which I kinda figured anyway when listening to the croud noise in the background. Makes his rant about the PMRC before Harder, Faster a little less effective though when you picture him in the studio standing in front of a mic instead of a couple of thousand people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

would it be an idea for the OP to change the title to NOT killed in car crash, i nearly spit out my drink when i saw it.

would it be an idea for the OP to change the title to NOT killed in car crash, i nearly spit out my drink when i saw it.

Yes, it would, and I would change it if I knew how. Anyone else can feel free

see, told you.

Yeah, The Sting DVD isn't a good example, it was a pretty **** gig altogether it seemed. But in my opinion he still played good enough for me. And you dont have to get everything right all the time and play absolutly perfect to be a great guitarist, all Chris has to do is swagger blind drunk onto the stage and give it a shot and ill be happy! (although I doubt Blackie would, and he wasnt.)

Listen to their other live albums and he plays fine, i mean he's great on Live...In The Raw and Double Live Assassins, he does Bob Kulicks "The Idol" solo justice while adding his own unique style. He's great at those ballad solos like "The Idol", "Sleeping In The Fire", "Widowmaker" and all that, he puts loads of feeling into em. He always writes good solos, really memorable.

Ok, well thats the only footage I've seen of him playing so i guess thats why i have that opinion. I bought double live assassins a few weeks ago but haven't had time to listen to it. I'll give a few spins soon and hopefully my opinion will change ;)
    Oh, and D.T.,: "JESUS SAVES!!!", love that riff!

"WHAT???........ Jesus Saves!...............Yes he does!" :D
    streets.... my favourite album of all time :D:D

D.T. Jesus wrote:

"WHAT???........ Jesus Saves!...............Yes he does!" :D
    streets.... my favourite album of all time :D:D

That solo on Ghost in the ruins is utter class :)

That solo on Ghost in the ruins is utter class :)

Agreed! i'm actually trying to figure that out at the moment. lol its not going that well....

D.T. Jesus wrote:
    Agreed! i'm actually trying to figure that out at the moment. lol its not going that well....

I can sorta make my way around it...sorta ;)

I can sorta make my way around it...sorta ;)

you don't happen to have it tabbed out or anything do you? that would make my life so much easier :p

• Advertisement

D.T. Jesus wrote:
    you don't happen to have it tabbed out or anything do you? that would make my life so much easier :p

Nah sorry. Tab out what you have and i'll see if I can add to it whenever I get a chance.

How much are tickets for the WASP gig anyway?

Advertisement