Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clio Cutting Out

Options
  • 15-10-2006 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi, just recently began learning to drive. Coming along ok, but have a question about my car. (1996 Clio 1.2 >100,000 miles)

If I turn the wheel more than about 90degrees, without out moving the car, with 1st/Reverse gear engaged (ie. clutch in - for example when about to do 3point turn/ other tight manoevre) the revs drop and the engine cuts out.

Any ideas? Could be normal for all I know but never happens in my driving instructor's car.

Thanks!

PS I know "dry steering" is not good for the car, and I do try to avoid it - its just I'm still finding tight manoevres difficult.. and parking is VERY tight where I live!

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It is bad practice to turn the wheel without moving the car - get into the habit of not doing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

I know it's bad practice. I am really trying to not do it but sometimes I just can't avoid it when getting out of my parking space when somebody else has parked too close. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it with practice..

I was just wondering if this is something wrong with the car, do I need to get it looked at?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

if the car has power steering, the pump could be on the way out causing the engine to stall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

OK, thanks for the replies. Not too much of an issue anyway, I'll ask about it next time I'm in the garage.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Hi,

When you hold the steering at the extent of it's travel this loads the system so the engine speed drops. To a lesser extent this happens every time you turn the wheel. This is quite normal However to avoid the car cutting out there is a sensor in the steering which senses this high pressure and signals the engine control unit to increse the idle speed. It sounds like this is not working in your case. It could be a sensor fault or an idle control issue.

Yes, there is a fault.

HTH

• Advertisement
Advertisement