Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

signal ok,laptop ok,no internet

• 15-10-2006 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

HI all!
    I have a hp wireless laptop and wheni start it up it looks for a wireless signal,locks on to one and it depends on the signal from excellent to very weak.
    thats ok!
    When I try to run my laptop(Wireless) to pick up signal from my eircom netopia wireless router all good until I try to connect to the net,where I get the same old message
    "This page cannot be displayed!"
    I have checked all the internet settings and they are fine as far as I can see!
    this is really bugging the crap out of me.
    Can anyone guide me in this,plz!
    johnny

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

HI all!
    I have a hp wireless laptop and wheni start it up it looks for a wireless signal,locks on to one and it depends on the signal from excellent to very weak.
    thats ok!
    When I try to run my laptop(Wireless) to pick up signal from my eircom netopia wireless router all good until I try to connect to the net,where I get the same old message
    johnny
    Can you connect to the Netopia itself? http://192.168.1.254

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

do you mean directly into router or wirelessly?

do you mean directly into router or wirelessly?
    Wirelessly.

If you have the option of connecting with an ethernet cable, does everything work properly that way?

will let u know asap,(2mins)

Open a command prompt (Start/Run, type CMD and click OK) the type IPCONFIG. You should get a response that shows your IP address and your Default Gateway. Post those addresses here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

HI all!
    thats ok!
    johnny

Thats because you have not got a DNS IP address from Eircom, you must go into the GUI for the router to click on "Connect", thats all you need to do really. Open up IE and type 192.168.1.254 ino the address bar to bring up the GUI. You can do this both wired or wirelessly PS ensure you have you WEP security code entered in order for your laptop to wirelessly access the router automatically.

thanx for your reply but what is the GUI?
    Tried to do this on laptop both wireless and with an ethernet cable attached and no joy,it must be something to do with the settings on laptop of which i have no clue.!?!

GUI means Graphical User Interface, basically where you can control all the router's settings.

Do you have a security programme installed on your computer like one of those all-in-one anti-virus scan/anti-spam/wireless intrusion detection/internet protection programmes like Trend Micro or Norton ?

If you do then its possible that the router's IP address is being blocked by one of these programmes. You would have to add it to an exceptions list to allow it to be accessed.

Otherwise if you dont have one of the various Security software progs you might want to disable any Google or Yahoo toolbars you might have because these can potentially mess with your settings to.

Of course you should also go to your Internet Options and see whats going on in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

sounds like you havent been assigned an IP address from the router...
    Follow the instructions here
    assign yourself an ip similar to the one your router has (but not the same) eg if your router 192.168.1.254 assign yourself 192.168.1.2

or switch off the norton internet security or whatever you have

when i try to switch from wep encryption to wpa(where i think the problem lies) I get no joy as it states that "the password field cannot be blank" but i have entered a password .
    bummer!

• Advertisement

Well whats your username? It should be:
    username: eircom
    Password: broadband1

Advertisement