Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preservation Order

Options
  • 15-10-2006 8:50pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My OPW are going for a preservation order on my grandparents house.

Any one know the practicalities of such an order on a house you own with a preservation order on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The OPW? Wow. Under the 1930/1987 legislation?

It sounds very serious to me. At the very least, a trip to a knowledgeable solicitor is probably in order.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Its my Grandparents old house and my Grandad was hoping to get a preservation order on it. Then my grandad passed away a few weeks ago and no body knew what was going on.

Then my grandmother got a letter about it and was asking me so I'm trying to find out about it.

Not even sure its the OPW doing (I think its the heritage council that do it) its just what she has told me.

GOna have a look at the letter some time soon and I'll see what the stroy is

I wonder why he wanted to get a preservation order on it? It might make sense, or it might not. Depends on the circumstances.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I wonder why he wanted to get a preservation order on it? It might make sense, or it might not. Depends on the circumstances.

The home has been in the family a long long time. I think it dates back to the late 1800's. The area where the house is has had a lot of redevolpment and my grandad was totaly agaist this and I reckon he wanted to make sure nothing could happen to his house.

I think he could've applied for grants for the up keep of the house.

I would say the house would have to have either significance or special merit in order to get any grants, and the grants would only be partial.

If the house isn't significant or of special merit, then a preservation order could reduce the value of the house. I would think that it would mean that you could no longer do any work on the house without special approval and you would be obliged to keep the house in good order. This would make any modifications very expensive.

All this in my opinion of course, and it obviously depends on what is important to you and what you want to do with it. But I'm no expert, you'd need to talk to the local authorities and people like the Georgian Society to find out. Also, might be worth asking over on the archeire boards.

• Advertisement

I know if its a listed building that if you want to do anything you have to get planning permision.

If my granddad had his way the house wouldnt leave the family so I'm not sure if devaluing it is an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

If the order is passed it will make it very difficult to do a thing to the property in the future, I mean simple things like carry out necessary repairs. These so called experts like the heritage council etc could make your life hell and this is speaking from experience. Its all very well some dude sitting at a desk saying ah yes we will preserve this building its part of our heritage but when it comes to doing a repair for example and they want it done a particular way or using particular materials in many cases their input can have a massive financial impact on you. When it comes to grants they will put you through the mill, fill in 500 forms, get in touch with this expert and that expert. Then after the work is carried out and you have paid for it they may not even pass full grants.

A complete nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

blah blah blah...

A complete nightmare.

Do you have experience with this or are you just forming an opinion?

I live in a listed building and have not found the same sort of "nightmare" that you describe.

The only difference, may be, that the residence that Kearnsr is talking about has or is seeking a different listing grade to mine.

L.

Advertisement