Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

done for speeding

Options
  • 15-10-2006 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭

mods: please move this if it is in the wrong forum.

i was done for speeding yesterday in northern ireland, i was doing 80 on a 60 stretch and was arrested and taken to banbridge police station.
    i had to pay bail of £300 and have to go up on the 26th to go to court to pay a fine, however i wont receive any penalty points as i wasnt in ireland.
    the police were very sound about it (much nicer and more professional than the gardai) and said i would get the bail money refunded after i pay the fine.

they also said i can ignore the court as im not from the uk but i would lose the bail and if i get cought again i could get banged up.

what i want to know is, has anyone else been in the same position as me and if so what is the fine and is there even the slightest chance the judge could give me a custodial sentance.
    the only reason im going back up to court is to get my £300 (€500) back and go shopping

thanks

gar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Go talk to a solicitor, preferably one form the area.

I suspect a custodial sentance is unlikely, but if you skip bail and get caught, thats another matter. Note that there is an EU agreement for speeding offences that will mean your conviction will be made know, so don't screw around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

more feedback would be appreciated, please

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Victor wrote:
    Go talk to a solicitor, preferably one form the area.
    Won't the solicitor want a fee, too? Maybe make an appearance, pay the fine and learn from the experience?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If you skip bail you potentially leave yourself open to arrest anytime you visit Northern Ireland or the UK. Its a bummer- go to court, pay the fine and learn a lesson from it all.

Its extremely unlikely that a custodial sentence would be imposed, unless the charge is a lot more serious than speeding (e.g. reckless endangerment occasioning harm).

Go to court, pay the fine, learn a lesson and don't let more it happen again.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

this is better suited to the Motors forum
    B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Beruthiel wrote:
    this is better suited to the Motors forum
    B
    Unlucky OP. I would agree with the other posters that appearing in court is most likely in your best interest. Get onto www.bt.com and look up a solicitor in the area. They will usually talk to you for free on the phone. Pump them for info just to make sure you are not going to walk into something major.

Slightly off topic. Why can't the gardai work like this? I am fed up with people harping on about dangerous northie and eastern european drivers speeding and driving dangerously. Here is a foreign driver *arrested* and taken to a police station for being 20 MPH over the limit. TBH I have always thought it was pure lazyness and a fear of work / paperwork.

Does anyone know of any reason why the gardai cannot treat foreign drivers braking the law the same way as the PSNI apparently can?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Why wouldn't they let you pay the fine at the police station like they do here?(they still let you pay at the station here, don't they?)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I think 80 in a 60 is a court appearance.

MrP

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

MrPudding wrote:
    Does anyone know of any reason why the gardai cannot treat foreign drivers braking the law the same way as the PSNI apparently can?

From my understaning (my GF is a Garda) under Irish law they cannt legally arrest you for speeding would have to be a much more more serious charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

admiralgar wrote:
    mods: please move this if it is in the wrong forum.

i was done for speeding yesterday in northern ireland, i was doing 80 on a 60 stretch and was arrested and taken to banbridge police station.
    i had to pay bail of £300 and have to go up on the 26th to go to court to pay a fine, however i wont receive any penalty points as i wasnt in ireland.
    the police were very sound about it (much nicer and more professional than the gardai) and said i would get the bail money refunded after i pay the fine.

they also said i can ignore the court as im not from the uk but i would lose the bail and if i get cought again i could get banged up.

what i want to know is, has anyone else been in the same position as me and if so what is the fine and is there even the slightest chance the judge could give me a custodial sentance.
    the only reason im going back up to court is to get my £300 (€500) back and go shopping

thanks

gar

i made a stupid mistake awile ago.i was arrested for dangerous driving(handbrake turn) and i was in court last week and had to bloody pay 1500 euro:eek: , but thank god i didnot get banned but i already have 8 penalty points over the years so now im thinking of not driving for around 6 months to calm down.its a stupid mistake.
    so my point was get over this and just donot do it again as i have learnt my lesson the hard way:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

admiralgar wrote:
    however i wont receive any penalty points as i wasnt in ireland.
    Actually, under a new law, you may. Don't know if it's official yet, but if it is, anyone who gets points here, gets points in the UK, and vice-versa. Its to stop the UK speeders, seemingly

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

the_syco wrote:
    Actually, under a new law, you may. Don't know if it's official yet, but if it is, anyone who gets points here, gets points in the UK, and vice-versa. Its to stop the UK speeders, seemingly

Yeah I don't think it is in force yet, but it will be across the EU when it is, not just UK and ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

the_syco wrote:
    about time,get tired of uk and northern regs breaking the law here and taking more chances on roads ,the more they get away with it,the more they do it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Had a Eastern European left hand drive BWM acting the bollix with me last night on the M50, I came off the Malahide round about moved in to the out side lane to overtake slow traffic. He came up behind me and stuck to my arse. I accelerated down to where the inside lane was free and plulled in. Didnt realise for a secxond but he pulled in right behind me and pulled as close up my arse as he could for a min then pulled back out in to the out side lane and shot off up the arse of the next car in that lane. It was very strange. I was thinking about this thread and that there's probaly **** all the Gardaí can do about guys like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

drdre wrote:
    i made a stupid mistake awile ago.i was arrested for dangerous driving(handbrake turn) and i was in court last week and had to bloody pay 1500 euro:eek: , but thank god i didnot get banned but i already have 8 penalty points over the years so now im thinking of not driving for around 6 months to calm down.its a stupid mistake.
    so my point was get over this and just donot do it again as i have learnt my lesson the hard way:mad:

€1500 for a handbrake turn?? That's incredibly steep...people can get fined less for causing death by gangerous driving.

el tel wrote:
    €1500 for a handbrake turn?? That's incredibly steep...people can get fined less for causing death by gangerous driving.

thats why i have appealed it and now its going to the high court,i know i did it BUT the way the guard told the judge she got pissed of and gave me a ban for 1 yr or 1500 fine.and this comes manadtory with 5 penalty points:eek: .
    the guard said i nearly killed someone but there was nobody that close to me:D , so how could that happen.the guards are just assholes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

call me stupid but going by that road wars program on telly , they never arrest someone for speeding without another offence having been comitted to boot?

didnt realise you can get arrested for speeding up north :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I'm assuming the road in question is the A1 between Newry and Lisburn/Belfast - it used to be 70mph all the way until a number of fatal accidents after which they reduced some sections to 60mph. The last accident was horrific - car trying to merge from one adjoining road to go over to the opposite carriage way found the central reservation area suddenly blocked leaving their car side-on straddling two lanes of oncoming 70mph traffic)

I normally do 75mph in the 70mph section (I'm no angel) but will always drop to 60mph in the slower sections because of those accidents and also because that's where the PSNI tend to do their speed checks.

Everytime I'm on that road though, southern-reg cars are always the ones doing the speeding - I think until now they have assumed they cannot get arrested/fined ? Not saying us nordy-regs don't do the same here in the south, but glad to see things are changing (ie. convictions)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Dude get a good solicitor and go to court. I was caught doing a 108 mph last october. I was detaintained with the car imponded. Quite rightly. The only reason I was going so was fast was because my mother was very very sick in the royal victoria and was beeing given the last rights. I got a very good solicitar and got away without a fine / conviction etc, etc. At the time points didnt carry over from the north. But as I understand it know. Points from the north carry over to the republic. Points from the republic dont carry over to the north/ Uk/ etc. Thinking about sitting a driving test in the North and just laughging any time I get stopped by a gaud after that;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Points are not transferable between the two jurisdictions as yet.
    As for the A1 section between Newry & Lisburn- there are still areas which are governed by the DC speed limit of 70mph - they are becomming fewer though.

• Advertisement

i was doing exactly 81 though, the psni said i wont get points as they cant issue them to someone from the south...yet. im not going to get a solicitor, im just going to take my chances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭digweed

MrPudding wrote:

Slightly off topic. Why can't the gardai work like this? I am fed up with people harping on about dangerous northie and eastern european drivers speeding and driving dangerously. Here is a foreign driver *arrested* and taken to a police station for being 20 MPH over the limit. TBH I have always thought it was pure lazyness and a fear of work / paperwork.

MrP

they used to do it years back, if they caught a foreign reg driver speeding they'd be arrested for dangerous driving and charged with both that and speeding. the dpp put a stop to it. under the new legislation you can't arrest someone for speeding.

@Fey! - fines can't be paid at stations anymore, have to be paid at the post office.

D. :p

just a quick update, im not going to bother going up next thursday to court, im just going to take my chances in the future
    thanks for all of the advice guys

gar

admiralgar wrote:
    just a quick update, im not going to bother going up next thursday to court, im just going to take my chances in the future
    thanks for all of the advice guys

gar

if you donot go up, will it not make the offence more serious as if you donot go to court here they will release a arrest warrant

no drdre, im not a uk subject im an irish citizen so,as yet & at my time time of arrest, offences can not be transferred between two different countries. however over the past couple of days i have done a complete u-turn and i am going up this thursday to pay the fine and get my bail money back.

admiralgar wrote:
    no drdre, im not a uk subject im an irish citizen so,as yet & at my time time of arrest, offences can not be transferred between two different countries. however over the past couple of days i have done a complete u-turn and i am going up this thursday to pay the fine and get my bail money back.
    alright,thats a good idea

Advertisement