Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

not too sure what to do

• 15-10-2006 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

thought id post this to see if anyone out there feels the same as me or has gone through this and can offer me advice.im a 20 uyr old female in final year of coll like my course looking forward to finishing and stuff.have a relationship thes going into its 2nd year with no major dramas or anthing.family life fairly normal too parents happily married etc. thing is my life is running pretty smoothly in most aspects in my opinion.

thing is i find myself having total extrems of emotions like elated one minute and crying the next. i have a tendency too get very angry esp at my parents and my boyfriend and no one else i cant understand it, its like a swith flicks in my head and its not me talking(well shouting).it freaks me out i guess i could describe it as an alter ego.

i did suffer from depression when i was 17 after bad experience with a former boyfriend and was on anti depressants for about8 months and they did the trick for the time they were needed.i dont feel i need them again.iv gone to anger management and counselling for this anger thing which i started last may and learned a few techniques to curb my anger.but because of work exp with my coll course i haven had the oppertunity to go as often.

just was wondering if anyone could offer suggestions on this or advice id really appreciate it.thanks for all those who read my post i know its really long

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭scoot on

Are you on the pill?
    A friend of mine went through something similar when her doctor put her on a particular type of pill (can't think of the name of it at the mo!!). She said she thought she was going mad. One minute she'd be as happy as larry and the next she'd be bawling crying for no reason. After a few months of it she went back to her doctor and he changed the pill she was taking and she's been fine since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭GAA widow

Are you on the pill? It can trigger some mood swings! Might be worth mentioning to your GP - they'll change it to something with a higher/lower dosage of oestrogen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

OP I wouldnt worry too much about it. Your course is finishing so your venturing into the unknown a little bit, perfectly normal human emotions.

I think you will be fine. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

It is clearly *not* normal to have your emotions all over the place like that. The girl has being going to anger management for fúck sake.

Your advice is something you'd give a 12 year old adolescent, not someone in final year college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Sangre wrote:
    It is clearly *not* normal to have your emotions all over the place like that. The girl has being going to anger management for fúck sake.

Your advice is something you'd give a 12 year old adolescent, not someone in final year college.

Bloody hell.

Somehow I missed the anger management sentence, apologies OP.

I went through something similar myself and in my case it was fear of teh unknown that was causing major upsets.

If it gets worse I'd talk to your GP.

Sangre, whats with the swearing and abuse? Relax.

I notice you gave no advice, instead ridiculed mine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

ya i am act on the pill im on yasmin(not sure if im allowed mention it)anyway been on it for bout year mow was on a different one but used get awful migraines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

TheGooner wrote:
    Bloody hell.

Somehow I missed the anger management sentence, apologies OP.

I went through something similar myself and in my case it was fear of teh unknown that was causing major upsets.

If it gets worse I'd talk to your GP.

Sangre, whats with the swearing and abuse? Relax.

I notice you gave no advice, instead ridiculed mine.
    Sorry, my original post would have explained my reaction better but I altered it. Basically there is a PI trend growing that likes to gloss over reality far too much.

You're cutting yourself? thats cool, everybody does it.

....my advice was to not follow yours :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yasmin is one of the lightest pills on the market, oestrogen-wise, which makes it an unlikely cause for your mood swings.

I think you should go talk to your GP. Mood swings like yours could point to bipolar disease or similar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Consult with your GP about mood swings and any pharm you may be taking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

you know thats odd i'm also having crazy mood swings these days too, but i was put on the same pill as yourself, yasmin, specifically because i was having mood swings, it just doesn't seem to have changed.
    as it is such a light pill im confused as to how it could be causing this, but then again if someone else seems to be having the exact same problem....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

chuci wrote:
    thought id post this to see if anyone out there feels the same as me or has gone through this and can offer me advice.im a 20 uyr old female in final year of coll like my course looking forward to finishing and stuff.have a relationship thes going into its 2nd year with no major dramas or anthing.family life fairly normal too parents happily married etc. thing is my life is running pretty smoothly in most aspects in my opinion.

thing is i find myself having total extrems of emotions like elated one minute and crying the next. i have a tendency too get very angry esp at my parents and my boyfriend and no one else i cant understand it, its like a swith flicks in my head and its not me talking(well shouting).it freaks me out i guess i could describe it as an alter ego.

i did suffer from depression when i was 17 after bad experience with a former boyfriend and was on anti depressants for about8 months and they did the trick for the time they were needed.i dont feel i need them again.iv gone to anger management and counselling for this anger thing which i started last may and learned a few techniques to curb my anger.but because of work exp with my coll course i haven had the oppertunity to go as often.

just was wondering if anyone could offer suggestions on this or advice id really appreciate it.thanks for all those who read my post i know its really long

It sounds 90% sure you suffer from bipolar order but you need to go a GOOD octor to get it diagnosed. I know someone who suffers from this and its exactly those symtos. You go from being depressed to being really energetic etc and vice versa.

Anti depressants only make it worse, according to a number of studies. You basically become immune to them, they also increase lapse time so as your life gets longer you may be depressed for longer periods.

However, there is a fantastic solution in the form of Lithium tablets which help balance out the chemicals.

Maybe you don't have this, you need to go a very good doctor and explain your symtoms. Only a doctor can dianose you. IMO its a waste of him him/her giving you anti-depressants as they will only increase the problem long term.

By the way, do you worry about things a lot because this can also be a sysmtom?

Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

I was on yasmin for a couple of months and found myself hitting an extreme low with PMS.

I switched pill to a lower dosage pill microlite and the depression lifted somewhat.

I've now switched again to marvolit (I've no idea if I'm spelling that correctly) to see if I can illiminate the depression altogether.

I'd advise switching pills as well.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

finnpark wrote:
    It sounds 90% sure you suffer from bipolar order. However, there is a fantastic solution in the form of Lithium tablets which help balance out the chemicals.

Whoah. What about possible early indicators of a relapse into depression i.e. subconscious irritation at her parents and boyfriend emerging into conscious?

Oh, and theres a great speaker on this weekend in the Burlington (cant remember his name, drat ((Irving Kirsch rings bells though)) who poses that the majority of all pills for depression cause more damage than good and he has some serious evidence of same. finnpark, tad too early to jump on the bi-polar syndrome wagon, yes?

OP, anything that might be ticking away in the background in regards to negativity towards your folks and BF i.e. something they just dont get about you that they should by now? And Seraphina has a point too i.e. same pills, same bouts of moods.

I get mood swings all the time (I'm just a moody fúcker really) but I just sit down and work out who I am angry/upset at and whether I am being reasonable or not and hey, mood over. Have you ever tried the same?

K-

thanks for all the replies guys.im a nurse and my friend is also a diagnosed with bi polar and im not suffering the extremes of lows and highs that she did but obviously its different for every person for ages i thought it was bi polar myself but read alot on it,i think its a bit early to be jumping on that bandwagon myself(dont mean to cause offence to anyone). i dont think theres any niggiling things in the back of my mind really bout my boyfriend or parents i mean i fight with them but the normal fights that most people have.

thing is these changes are only happening like in the last year and a half or so my parents are a bit worried say im not rhe person they used no and stuff.well i am some of the time.sorry if this post hops back and forth just writing what comes into my head.

as for the pill if other people were experiencing the same kind of reactions i am then maybe just the pill doesnt suit me. prescription up for renewal next month so maybe its time for a change. not sure if i made it clear in my first post been off antidepressants for the past year and a half and really dont feel like i need them again.would rather try go this(whatever it is)without more pills.

in ans to your final paragraph kell i have tried different methods of calming i carry a stress ball everywhere with me.sounds a little odd and even odder when i pull it out but it works.just sometimes i cant have a normal coversation with someone if it escalates in a debate then i lose to plot altogether.just cant really fig it out at all.i just want to be the person i was before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

chuci wrote:
    just cant really fig it out at all.i just want to be the person i was before.

And you arent aware of any catalyst that brought this on? If you want want to figure it out, sit down and think of all the relationships you have with everyone close to you- family, friends, boyfriends etc. Work out how those relationships affect you i.e. do some people intimidate you, irritate you, make you feel neglected etc on a regular basis? Try and actualy identify the feelings that you associate with people.

Next is to see if there is a common thread of a certain type of relationship and the associated feeling. Then try and work out where that feeling came from and who started it in the first place. If, as I think, this is the beginning of supressed anger over something beginning to leak out, you need to find its starting point. Review your life, your ups and downs, your crises and more importantly why they were a crisis for you. You'll often find that through someone/something constantly negatively re-inforcing something you in get to a stage where you revolt against the negativity which I suspect here.

If you really cant find out whats eating Gilbert Grape, I do suggest you go and see a hypnotherapist to try and peel back the layers if you have blotted out something that is making you so angry. PM me if you want details of a really good one. Dont confuse hypnotherapy with walking like a chicken until they click their fingers at you. Hypnotherapy, when used right, merely induces a heightened state of relaxation that allows your subconscious come to the fore.
    chuci wrote:
    i carry a stress ball everywhere with me.sounds a little odd and even odder when i pull it out but it works

Thats just displacing the anger, not addressing it. Its like punching a pillow. You are responding to anger with anger. Doesnt work long term.

Be well.

K-

Advertisement