Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog just died

• 15-10-2006 10:54pm

I know this isn't a personal issue, as such, but it is one that has effected me a lot.

My dog, whom I've had for 14 years, has just died. His name was Sam and damn, legendary isn't a word that describes him. I know people will probably think I'm lying when I say these things, but it is true; he has been on television in at least 5 different countries, been knocked down at least 4 times, lived most of his life on 3 legs, was even asked to perform on the radio by Ray d'Arcy.

Last Monday my mum brought him to the vet. His heart was beating so hard you could hear it. The vet said he wasn't sure how Sam was still alive. Shows how strong he was.

Had him for 14 years. He was bought for my birthday and I named him Sam. He became more than a pet to us, he was a member of our family, a fellow sibling.

Just thought I'd say.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Sorry to hear that. He had a good run though it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Awww really sorry to hear that. I know how you must be feeling I lost one of my buddies during the Summer and I miss her so much :(

RIP Sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

that's the thing about having a dog, you get so attached to them, you no-longer see them as a dog, and more as just a family member. I sh*t a brick 2 months ago when my dog was hobbling about the place, I thought she was in serious pain and I would have to put her down. Luckilly it wasn't to bad, it was arthritus and the vet gave us medicine to give her and she's grand now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

The loss of a pet can be devastating and only people who have never really kept a pet wont understand.

So dont try to justify your post of course it is a personal issue.

Its something that has been in your life for a very long time. Like any loss it will take time but it will get better. You will never forget but try to think of the good times and allow yourself to grieve and dont let anyone tell you any different.

Rest in peace Sam.

Marts wrote:
    that's the thing about having a dog, you get so attached to them, you no-longer see them as a dog, and more as just a family member. I sh*t a brick 2 months ago when my dog was hobbling about the place, I thought she was in serious pain and I would have to put her down. Luckilly it wasn't to bad, it was arthritus and the vet gave us medicine to give her and she's grand now

That was the same with Sammy. My mam would give him painkillers in balls of aeros. He also had an enlarged heart.

Still can't believe he's gone. Anytime I go back home I call for him first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

thats a damn shame! :(

I had a dog once, he was old... I was at college down the country at the time, came home after a couple of months...went out to the kennel to say hello and he was gone.....my folks forgot to tell me he had died in the meantime..:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Hackman

Remember the good times. That's what I did when my little Jack Russell passed over a while back. Pets, especially dogs in my opinion, becme the best of friends. Some are even family in a sense.

My dog was a cocky, spoiled, brave, cowardly, loyal, happy, sad creature. The same as a person really when you think of it. It took a while for me to get over her passing but the good memories mean she is still with me to a certain extent. And she is no longer in pain.

Getting another dog soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I have lost a lot of pets over the years, sorry for your loss. Two over the past year while I was abroad. A few posts here on the issue of departed pets, some stories that might interest you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Same as most have said, I've seen many of my pets come and go, each has been tragic. One of my dogs is getting very old now, nearly 16, and I know she aint long for this world, but we she's been with us all her life and we have done our very best to give her a good one, and I'm sure she's enjoyed it, like your's did. Any loss is painful, and hard to bear, but what get's you through in the end is even if it was a minute of happiness you gave that dog, which I'm sure he had many of.. remeber that, and smile about it, even if it's a sad smile.

TK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Sorry for your loss, have had similar experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Sorry to hear about your Dog, man. I dunno what I'm gonna do when my lad goes. He's already got the whole Arthritis thing going on. Some kidney problems too. He alternates between being a grumpy old bastard and still thinking he's a pup! He knows now that when he goes running off he has to expect being stiff and in pain when he comes back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭ergo

so sorry to hear about this OP

am in a similar situation but 2 weeks ahead of you

my 14 year old dog died 2 weeks ago now. As I'm 28 he's been around for half my life which is hard to believe so, yeah, he was really part of the family

it's a strange kind of grief (for a dog) but it's very real and my poor mother is devastated cos the dog stuck around at home long after we (the kids) had all left. Just enjoy the memories of the good times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Mdriscoll

Really sorry to hear!

Course its a personal issue - I have two dogs (and one is called Sam!) and they are both 6 and I would be in bits if anything happened to either of them. You can love an animal (no jokes please) as a family member, dogs are so loving and loyal and need little in the way of response cept to be fed, watered, a comfy place to sleep and a bit of a walk and kick ball every day - no real hassle except if they get sick (then I am in bits though,,,,,,) and maybe a lie at your feet whilst watching tv and you scratch their ears.

My advice? Get another one - the pounds are full of abandoned puppies and if your like me (that is a soppy bloke who is in touch with his 'inner child') then you can imagine your in a Disney film and your the master the little puppy longed for - feck it, get two, keep each other company!

Dogs are a man/womans best friend and I would heartily recommend ownership if you can spare the time and love.....

So sorry to hear about your Sam though, hope he is happy now with a big fleshy bone!

MD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

Oh I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. That must have been devastating! I have two dogs. One, Otis, is 11 years old now. He's blind and diabetic. And I love him to bits.

What you are feeling is true grief. Sam was your friend and a part of your family for a very long time. Give yourself time to grieve. And always remember the good times that you shared. I'm sure that you made his life very happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Losing a dog sucks. We had a labrador for yeeeeears and went the same way. She used to often sleep at the bottom of the stairs and even now when I go home I jump off the bottom step from force of habit to avoid her and she's been dead for years now.

Funny how you get so attached to something that really doesn't do much but just hang around and be smelly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

sorry to hear of your loss.

My little sammy died last march. he was a 15 year old lab/retriever. absolute legend.

i got him when i was 13 and i'm 28 now so he was around for almost half of my life. i still miss him and started bawling crying just a couple of weeks ago when i came home drunk and was looking at his photo and him on the mantlepiece (i had him cremated which i would recommend as a way to keep him in the house).

it really bugs me when people slag dog owners for "being obsessed about that dog". they simply do not understand that the little things need love and attention, walks and food and proper shelter.

they really do become part of you. i was in bits when i saw sammy being put down in the vets last march. every part of him was fit as a fiddle except his kidneys and so he had to go...

hope you feel better about it soon b.a.b.

k.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

I know how you feel, OP. It's horrible isn't it? The worst thing for me was coming home and knowing there was gonna be no little snuffly nose and wagging tail to greet me at the door.... The house just seemed so dead.

If you want to talk about Sam or anything just PM me.

Thinking of you,
    x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Funny how you get so attached to something that really doesn't do much but just hang around and be smelly :)

Haha.. I'll second that.

Losing a pet really blows. And it's true that those who haven't had pets don't understand.

Sorry to hear about it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Awww, I'm sorry to hear that. I know how u feel, my dog died when he was 12 and I was 10 so he was there all my life and i was devastated.

J

Advertisement