Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer programming basics

Options
  • 15-10-2006 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi all,
    I want to learn the basics of computer programming, my main objective is to build a programme that extracts information from different websites and put it in a differnt format like word using a computer programming...
    I was wondering can anyone recommend any good websites or online courses that i can do to achive this.

I have very basic background knowledge in VBA and HTML...Can anyone tell me where i would start in this task

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭Trampas

I am doing a final year project on something very similar to this.

I will be passing queries into web sites and getting the information from them queries.

It depends on what information you are looking for and how the page is built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

I haven't much experience in the area but I believe if you Google 'page scraping' you'll find what you're looking for. It's probably a bit tough if you have no experience though. I believe the language of choice for the this operation is PHP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yes PHP would be a good scripting language to do a task like this.

Advertisement