Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs & fireworks

Options
  • 15-10-2006 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Well its that time of year again. My 2 dogs are terrified of the sound of fireworks and spend the whole night hiding in a corner. I have ordered a cd off the net which desensitises (sp?) the dog to various sounds, including fireworks. Have not received the cd yet but, im just wondering has anyone used this method before? I dont want to put them on any relaxing medication, as I feel this will only supress the problem and not rectify it. Any suggestions/ experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Lexie wrote:
    Well its that time of year again. My 2 dogs are terrified of the sound of fireworks and spend the whole night hiding in a corner. I have ordered a cd off the net which desensitises (sp?) the dog to various sounds, including fireworks. Have not received the cd yet but, im just wondering has anyone used this method before? I dont want to put them on any relaxing medication, as I feel this will only supress the problem and not rectify it. Any suggestions/ experience?

I have four dogs (had five last year :() I find if we just talk to them and reassure them that everything is ok and it may sound stupid but tell them what it is, they calm down after a half hour.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

the cd's can be useful for them, I think also it's important for you to be as normal as you can and not fuss them etc so as not to reinforce that the *bad* noises are going to result in your reacting differently.

There is a homeopathic remedy that you can get that is excellent for helping dogs who are afraid of fireworks.

I have the opposite problem, my gsd thinks they are intruders and runs around *chasing* the noise, so we have to have him in our living room to stop him barking.

Best of luck with it.

Theresa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Lexie

Its strange because I have 3 GSD's and the 2 females are terrified. The male doesnt bat an eyelid. I have tried the reassuring way but they just run away and hide. Im hoping the CD's will work because my heart is broke seeing them like this. The vet recommended the CD to me. And its true what he said, a GSD is a small dog in a big dogs body!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

You can try Rescue Remedy on them, although I think its mostly booze in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

Lexie wrote:
    ... a GSD is a small dog in a big dogs body!

So true, when I listen to any meditation cd and becoem relaxed in the process my GSD picks up on it and gets relaxed as well. That´s my plan for the fireworks: try to stay calm.

We'll see if it works. Whats the name of the CD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Whats a GSD?

I find rubbing the dogs and assuring them seems to tell them there is actually something wrong. I ignore them and act as if nothing happens, they like the normality of it, they see that I am not reacting and settle down. If one gets particulary freaked I give them a treat everytime there is a bang (tiny bit of chicken or something) Soon they equate the food with the bang and all of a sudden its not such a bad thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

lightening wrote:
    Whats a GSD?
    - German Shepherd

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wokie

Try playing games with your dog while the fireworks are going off - chasing ball or whatever. While he/she gets engrossed in the game you'll find they probably won't even notice the bangs;) I've started doing this with one of mine and it's working a treat. This time last year he'd be under the table shaking....now I just ask him to go find his ball and we play chase in the garden and while he might look up if a banger goes off....he's far more interested in continuing to play rather than run into the house scared:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭flynnc

try using serene-um they are natural they are recommended by sara whittaker
    top animal behaviourist recommened for use during thunderstorms,fireworks ,travel sickness or general anxiety
    i get them from boardwalk pets store on the quays they cost €6.00 a box of 30 tabs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

this will sound crazy BUT - my cat doesn't seem as terrified this year (last year he sat on my lap under a blanket for hours) and i think its down to our new kettle - it makes a funny whistling sound when it boils that sounds like a rocket! So maybe the cd will get them used to the noises.

• Advertisement

Sorry Im late replying. The name of the cd is "Sounds Scary". I have tried distracting them by playing ball, but they have no interested when the bangers are going off. I dont pet them because I dont want them to think that I am rewarding their fear. I usually just chat away to them and kick the ball around by myself. Doesnt work though. Im just hoping the cd comes soon. People that set off fireworks have no consideration for animals. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

The CDs can be great if used correctly. You're right that fussing over them only seems to reinforce the fact something "bad" is happening and can link the fear reaction to attention. Distraction is great but doesn't always work.

I've seen Dog Appeasing Pheromone (DAP) and feline synthetic pheromone diffusors be very successful in helping to calm stressed and anxious animals in several cases. Of course they're not 100% effective and can be expensive.

I'd advise discussing it with your vet anyway.

Google for D.A.P. or Feliway diffusors for more info. Think they can probably be bought on line cheaper but I would still talk to your own vet about it first anyway.

Thanx Nando. It was my Vet that recommended the CD to me. Fingers crossed it works.

Advertisement