Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden help required

Options
  • 15-10-2006 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

I just bought a house on an acre of land and the garden is really badly overgrown. I have tried cutting it down with a normal petrol mower but its not the best.

I can't get a any tracktor throught the front gate as its too small so I might only have 2 options, getting a ride on or cutting it down first with a scythe.

I'd like to try the cheaper options but where do I get a scythe???

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think there was a thread here a few weeks ago about i scythe.
    Somebody wanted one for the same reason. Try the search function to see if you can find it.
    I can't remember if the advice he was given worked out for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭KNO3

You could try and hire a petrol 2 stroke brushcutter, basically its like a strimmer but with a metal blade, great things, i own one myself, it will make short work of the most overgrown areas, has to be less work than a scythe, cant imagine attempting an over grown acre of land with just a scythe, you would be half dead by the time you finish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

If you don't take your legs off first!!

I'd agree with KN03. An acre is a lot of overgrown grass to cut manually!! If you can get something with a motor in it you would be much better off. Head off to your local Hire SHop and explain you r situation. They'll have something for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

ciasto wrote:
    I just bought a house on an acre of land and the garden is really badly overgrown. I have tried cutting it down with a normal petrol mower but its not the best.

I can't get a any tracktor throught the front gate as its too small so I might only have 2 options, getting a ride on or cutting it down first with a scythe.

I'd like to try the cheaper options but where do I get a scythe???

Thanks

You could try a Flail Mower/Sickle Mower, very good for cutting coarse long grass (>12" /300mm high). You can hire them from Hills Hire, about € 80.00/day. Very cheap when you see what they can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Get a local garden maintenance contractor in to cut it and take away the cuttings. It should be managable after the first cut.
    Where are you based?

Advertisement