Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septic Tank Problems

Options
  • 15-10-2006 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi all,

I cant find a suitable place for my problem. We have been living in our house for 11 years and from day 1 our septic tank has never worked properly. Our site is mainly made up of sand and rock.. The mains is not an option. Every time it rains heaily, we cant flush our toilets, have a bath, or anything that creates excess water. Over the years we have had extra soakpits dug, but to no avail. Is ther anyone out there with a similar problem that has solved it. Please, Im desperate to solve it, at any expense. Thank You!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Johnniep

Where are you Lexie, I am just wondering what type of ground your soakaway is discharging to? Sound like the receiving ground has become over saturated in times of heavy rain etc. If this is the case, a raised percolation area may be the solution. This may involve installing a pump on your septic tank (depending on site gradients) and then consturcting a percolation area from suitable free draining soil. Someone like Bord na Mona would be able to give you better advice as they offer a system called "Puraflo" which may suit you. Have a look at:

http://www.bnm.ie/environmental/small_scale_wastewater_treatment/single_house/puraflo.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

just an idea, but check/dig around the lid of your septic tank and seal it again. There are a lot of tanks that have surface water running into them above ground. Whatever water is getting in there (if any) can't be helping.

It is important to know what you water table level is during a wet time and then consider if a raised percolation area would solve your problem.

A sump and raised percolation area could be relatively inexpensive (JCB day 200, pump and fittings 400, sump 200, stone 300, topsoil delivered ???. If the raised bed is done right it should absorb very little rain water and take the 150 ltr per person that you are outputting every day to the tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Lexie

Sorry Im late getting back to ye. I rang a couple of places about installing a new system with a raised irrigation area. The costs range from 4000 to 8000 euro. Im considering paying it because having raw sewage floating in your back garden can not be healthy. Thanx for the replies.

Advertisement