Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol/Gas?

Options
  • 16-10-2006 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

This may sound like a stupid question but I'm considering importing a car from Japan & under fuel consumption for the car in question it says Gasoline. Does this mean that if I bring the car over here that petrol will be ok to run her on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Yeah, it's petroleum gasoline, same thing.
    The yanks say gas, we say petrol. Like we say mobile, they say cell phone for cellular mobile phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Thanks for clearing that up for me dude;)

I was just a little nervous is all:D

No worries :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

only thing to bear in mind is that many performance Japanese cars are not "mapped" to use 95RON fuel. It depends on the car, but it may need to be rechipped if you plan running it on 95 to prevent detonation and overheating.

Yes I was aware of that too, cheers bud;)

Don't suppose u know how would I go about getting the car 'mapped' for the 95RON fuel?

• Advertisement

Well if it really turns out to be necessary, but I'd say it's unlikely, there are probably lots of people in the tuning market who will remap it for you.
    Or you could maybe learn how to do it yourself. Have a look here:
    http://www.obd1.com/

Also, you could just try swapping ECUs with the equivalent Irish/UK model (check scrapyards) and see what differences you notice.
    I've swapped the ECU in a Rover 216GTi with one from a Honda CRX which was supposed to have a more "aggressive" map, but didn't notice any difference. Another guy I know used one from an Integra Type R on the same car and it ran fine for a while, but eventually he blew his engine. I'd say that was only cos of a higher rev limiter and that he was using the car for regular drag races.

For what it's worth, the only time I've noticed any performance difference between 95 octane and 98 octane was with turbo cars. The difference was very noticable too, not a placebo effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

What car are you looking to import?

Thanks once again IrishRover;) I have a few websites for places in Dublin who remap for 350 Euro (if it was really necessary like you say).

@eireal Looking at bringing in a 180SX

Advertisement