Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why cant you delete you own threads?

Options
  • 16-10-2006 1:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭

Tried to delete one of mine but cant, just wondering why you cant do it?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Only a mod can delete a thread.
    You can however delete any posts you have made in your own thread with exception to the first one you have made.

If you want a thread deleted, just change the title to "delete please" and a mod will do so at their own will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Can you not delete it so long as there are no other posts made?

Or did that change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Does Edit->Delete->Delete This Message (reason for deletion) not work?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

kaimera wrote:
    Can you not delete it so long as there are no other posts made?

Or did that change?
    this is still the case, you can delete once no one has replied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Why cant i delete it though? I mean, Did the admins have it set that way, or can it not be changed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

It's set that way because when the person who started the thread deleted their post it took the whole thread, including other peoples posts, with it.

Other people may have liked their posts and made special cards with the words on them printed out and laminated for durability. Deletion of these words might cause them sadness and despair. And that is not the boards way.

Peace out.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

^^What amp said.

Once someone else replies in a thread you started, it no longer becomes "your" thread.

The actual problem is the same reason why there's a time limit on making edits to your posts - some people were starting threads that went to three pages, then coming back a day later and deleting them.

If no-one else has replied to your thread, you should still be able to remove it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Gods. Remember the guy who'd delete everything he posted after a couple of days?

He turned so many threads into illegible swiss-cheese.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We give 48 hours for editing/cooling down period or until someone replies to it. You said it, you should be ready to take responsibility for it. After 48 hours it becomes part of our recent history and I feel it shouldnt be erased from history. You can post a follow up or an explanation of why you felt that way at that time but I dont think you should be able to simply airbrush it from our collective past.

DeV.

Advertisement