Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drug Dealing On Liffey Boardwalk, Shock/Horror

Options
  • 16-10-2006 1:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

Ok well, I heard a news report on the radio there on Friday about the problem of drug dealing on the liffey board walk and what a shocking situation it was. The report consisted of bits of interviews with Gardai and the public and local business owners (as all radio news segments do).

The Garda saying what a shame it is that the situation has developed and how unexpected it was and that they are only now realising the extent of it.
    I couldn't believe my ears, they decided to build a board walk in the heart of Junkieville (eden quay and surrounding areas), right beside an all purpose emergency drug dumping zone (the liffey, which has been used for decades just for this purpose), and the Gardai were caught unawares when people started selling drugs there??
    Then the local business owners waded in with how bad an effect it was having on thier businesses to have heroin addicts hanging around the area. I sh1t you not. They were complaining about this brand new problem of heroin addicts congregating around the quays and how it was all caused by the boardwalk.
    Next random Joe public gave thier 2 cents about not wanting to bring thier kids onto the boardwalk because of homeless coming up and begging along it, have these people never stood at a bus stop in the exact same spot before?

Anyways, I'm not saying we should just except drug dealing and anti-social behaviour ect on the Liffey boardwalk, I just thought it was funny to hear people blaming a 25 year old problem on a few slabs of wood some benches and a couple of coffee stands that went up recently. If anything I think the Boardwalk is a brilliant addition to the city and have seen everybody from mothers with two small kids enjoying feeding bread to the liffey fowl on a rare sunny summer day to local office workers having a pleasent place to eat thier lunch besides at thier desk or outside an O'Briens to foreign tourist taking the compulsary photo of themselves standing beside the Liffey to remind them of thier trip to Ireland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

I agree that the boardwalk is quite nice and no, it's no great surprise that it's riddled with junkies. There are several methadone clinics on the Northside and Southside and the boardwalk opposite Tara Street station seems like the ideal half-way meeting point for the scrotes. As you say, the Liffey also provides and ideal dump for drugs should the cops come along.

Unfortunately, it's not just the boardwalk. There are always loads of 'undesirables' drinking cans of cheap cider outside the Customs House and near the foot of the James Joyce Bridge on either side of the Liffey. It's a pity because it's a reminder of what Dublin used to be like in a regenerated area that should be a strong focal point for locals, tourists and businesses alike. It's a matter of addressing the problem of homelessness and heroin abuse in Dublin society though and that's a much wider, more complex issue then just moving junkies along to another part of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I walk along the Eden Quay part of the boardwalk every morning around 9:30.

About 10 druggies there this morning. All the usual ones. We just ignore each other. It's not nice but there are worse and more dangerous places.

Now, the seagull **** all along the railings is another problem altogether. Can't lean on the railing to watch the river go by without risking death by bird flu. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Eden Quay, the heart of junkievill!???
    Haha!
    I think not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭JungleBunny

Yeah the custom house is fairly bad.
    Used to live near there and some nights its was horrible having to walk by that. Not that the junkies would do anythign to you cos they were too out of it to bother... but seeing them shooting up and even riding eachother in the middle of the footpath was a bit too much for me.
    And the cops just turned a blind eye!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭dave101

beside jurys hotel christchurch theres a little garden beside it thomas street end.
    and there are more dealers in and out of that place than south central los angeles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

This is a terrible shame as its most probably tourists that would use this walk.

Probably just a few people seeing trak suited knackers and over exagerating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

My mate has an apartment over looking the boardwalk, loads of interesting sights at night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭drunkenfool

theres always been drug dealing in the area, now theres just more space for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

I do think there is a bit of exageration asto how bad the problem is. I was in Vancouver for the summer and there is a particular area, about the size and distance from O'Connell street (Parnell end) all the way to Stephens Green and as busy as these areas except, 95% of the people who occupy the area are heavy drug users, drug dealers and crack whores. There is open injecting everywhere and dealers openly dealing. A 5 minute walk through a part of the area and you will see at least 75 abandoned needles, countless used condoms and blood splatter. It is hell on earth, but isnt really a dangerous area (apart from wathcing wht you stand on) its just massively depressing and so sad to see so many zombies and sad faces. Many o the cities citiens have come to almost accept taht the problem is irreverable and just try and avoid the area at all costs.

I dont think anything on this scale could happen in Dublin but it would be better if these problems were nipped in the bud. That area in general (around lower abbey street) is pretty run down (by Dublin standards) but most of the problem is petty vandilism and drunken hobo's.There is a school of though that was employed by Rudy Giuliani when he cleaned up New york called the "Broken Window" theorey. It revolves around the example that when a window is broken by vandals you clean it up and replace it asap as to do otherwise will only encourage the vandals to repeat their acts with the net result that the area becomes rundown and encourages general crime in the area. Taking Lower Abbey Street I gues you would generally revamp the area and try and prevent the casual street drinking and loitering that goes on.You would then monitor it very closely and any signs of street drinking, loitering and vandalism is stopped immediatley and cleared up. Eventually the image of the area will change and the petty crime that took place will have ceased. If it worked in NYC it can work here. In a sense this approach was adopted in Temple Bar and the dockland area, but this was mostly for commercial gain.

• Advertisement

Saw a dealer getting busted on the boardwalk at Eden Quay on the way to work this morning at 9:30. The cops looked like authentic skangers including dirty track suit & runners etc! I thought it was a fight until I saw the handcuffs coming out. The rest of the regular group of dealers just looked on from about 10 feet away. I suspect it was business as usual once the Gardai left :o

The guy I saw getting arrested yesterday was back on the boardwalk again this morning :o

It's obvious that some people here know nothing about Eden Quay.

It's obvious that some people here know nothing about Eden Quay.

In what way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

BendiBus wrote:
    In what way?

In denying there's a very real drug dealing problem on the boardwalk and down as far as Matt Talbot bridge, including around the main door of Liberty hall. And Butt Bridge on both the northside and over by the dart station.

Btw, anyone see the movie 'Adam & Paul', if not. Get it, its a fantastic, funny and very sad look at 24hrs in the lives of two Dublin junkies..

(***Sorry off topic I know, but loosly connected I guess***)

BendiBus wrote:
    In what way?

In that this 'problem'is being blown way out of proportion here.

You obviously don't spend alot of time around the city centre.

LOL, I ask a simple question and get 2 completely opposing answers :D

As a daily user of the Eden Quay boardwalk I think there's a problem. It's not the worst problem in the world, but it's a problem. And it's not nice. And it's sad to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

BendiBus wrote:
    As a daily user

Ahh, they're even infesting boards!! Back, foul junkie...

/me holds up two bars of soap in the shape of a cross

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Working in the area I can tell you that it is a major problem. Ask anyone who uses the Tara Street Dart Station. The area is corroded with the "Walking Dead".

There is the Trinity Court Methadone CLinic on Pearse Street. The Junkies congregate around Pearse St, Townend Street, Luke Street down to City Quay. Just stand at the Countess Markievicz statue opposite the Fire station on Townsend street and watch the crap that goes on on a daily basis - Dealing , Drinking, Trading of physeptone, tablets , cough medicene etc etc.

Then theres the clinic on Abbey Street and the one on Merchants Quay.
    This forms a Triangle of Junkies who seem to congregate on the BoardWalk

The sad thing is seeing the small toddlers and babies being pushed along by a mother or father who can barely see where they are going. You need a license for a Dog.

• Advertisement

Mairt wrote:
    You obviously don't spend alot of time around the city centre.

Actually I do, that's how I can come here and say that the problem is being dramatically over-exagerated.
    Ask anyone who uses the Tara Street Dart Station. The area is corroded with the "Walking Dead".
    Actually I use Tara St. Dart station all the time. And my bus stop is on Eden Quay. So...I'm asking myself.

If you all think this area is so bad then you must have lived some awfully sheltered lives and need to get around more.

Also worth considering that there are alot of bus stops on Eden Quay that go to Tallaght and it's sorrounding areas. It's very possible that some are seeing regular run of the mill knackers and mistaking them for junkies.

Actually I do, that's how I can come here and say that the problem is being dramatically over-exagerated.

Actually I use Tara St. Dart station all the time. And my bus stop is on Eden Quay. So...I'm asking myself.

If you all think this area is so bad then you must have lived some awfully sheltered lives and need to get around more.

Also worth considering that there are alot of bus stops on Eden Quay that go to Tallaght and it's sorrounding areas. It's very possible that some are seeing regular run of the mill knackers and mistaking them for junkies.

So you get the dart and a bus from the location, hardly compares to us who work and live around the area who've posted in this thread!.

As regards living a sheltered life, well I grew up in Ballymun and lived both in the flats and Poppintree for over twenty year's so I think that qualifies me to say that there's a real problem along the boardwalk and surrounding area's.

Ok, so you didn't live a sheltered life, but no-one here seems to be presenting any real proof.
    For all we know these could be regular knackers or chavs or whatever.
    Has anyone stopped to ask them?...or is everyone judging from afar? Or has anyone actually seen real drug dealing and not just some boy-rah's shaking hands?
    I for one, in all the years of being around that area, have never seen so much as hint of trouble in the forms of fights, murders or muggings etc...(except the occasional alcohol fueled fight at night)

I think this area is safer than alot of others in this city and feel a small problem is being way over-exagerated.
    Infact, the only trouble I've ever seen on the boardwalk is up by Liffey street and the Ha'penny bridge.

Ok, so you didn't live a sheltered life, but no-one here seems to be presenting any real proof.
    For all we know these could be regular knackers or chavs or whatever.
    Has anyone stopped to ask them?...or is everyone judging from afar? Or has anyone actually seen real drug dealing and not just some boy-rah's shaking hands?
    I for one, in all the years of being around that area, have never seen so much as hint of trouble in the forms of fights, murders or muggings etc...(except the occasional alcohol fueled fight at night)

I think this area is safer than alot of others in this city and feel a small problem is being way over-exagerated.
    Infact, the only trouble I've ever seen on the boardwalk is up by Liffey street and the Ha'penny bridge.

1. Yes, I've witnessed drug dealing along the boardwalk. I witness it daily, from dealers taking gear from their mouths or the crack in the arse or from a babies pram and a host of other methods. I've also witnessed (not daily) junkies taking 'turn ons' around the city centre in day light, usually up around Christchurch.

Or has anyone actually seen real drug dealing and not just some boy-rah's shaking hands?....I think this area is safer than alot of others in this city and feel a small problem is being way over-exagerated.

You seem to be mixingup violence and drug dealing. They go together but not always at the same time & place.

I've seen people buying & selling drugs openly. I've seen dealers getting arrested by plainclothes gardai. I've never seen any violence. That probably happens later at night or in other locations.

Mairt wrote:
    usually up around Christchurch.
    Well this is only about Eden Quay.
    BendiBus wrote:
    You seem to be mixingup violence and drug dealing. They go together but not always at the same time & place.

I've seen people buying & selling drugs openly. I've seen dealers getting arrested by plainclothes gardai. I've never seen any violence. That probably happens later at night or in other locations.

No, I was correcting someone else by saying that it isn't a bad area.
    So you've seen people actually get arrested for drug offences there?
    Seriously, this is a timid area of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

It's very possible that some are seeing regular run of the mill knackers and mistaking them for junkies.

Believe me I know a Junkie when I see one!:eek:

Funny enough, I haven't seen the usual suspects on the Eden Quay boardwalk for over a week?

Anyone know where they went? Prison? Just moved on? Or do they start later in the cold weather?

BendiBus wrote:
    Funny enough, I haven't seen the usual suspects on the Eden Quay boardwalk for over a week?

Anyone know where they went? Prison? Just moved on? Or do they start later in the cold weather?

Maybe they read this thread and we hurt their feelings!.

• Advertisement
Advertisement