Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cleaning parts?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I frequently use a chain cleaner kit like this one. I got a generic brand and I some degreaser that I dilute (I can't remember the brand - recommended by a car enthusiast friend). I use hot water to wash the degreaser away and then spray WD40 on my chain.
    I use Muc Off for cleaning other parts of the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

daymobrew wrote:
    I frequently use a chain cleaner kit like this one. I got a generic brand and I some degreaser that I dilute (I can't remember the brand - recommended by a car enthusiast friend). I use hot water to wash the degreaser away and then spray WD40 on my chain.
    I use Muc Off for cleaning other parts of the bike.

'Gunk' is a feckin' animal degreaser but you have to be careful with any ruberised plastic components. I use it diluted for chains, open bearings, mechs etc. It's the business. If you're buying some, get the concentrate and dilute it yourself. I find the handiest way to use it is in a painters pot from woodies, €10 for a nice metal rustproof one. I dilute a batch and use it as a wet bath. Rinse well, dry the parts and you're done.

For anything that's sensitive to harsh cleaners I'll stick with Flash Orange degreaser - It's a kitchen/food grade degreaser available in the local supermarket - Fine for cleaning off greasy filth, paw marks etc.

I like the idea of something dedicated for bikes but to be honest, I've not done any damage to anything in 15 years of using generic cleaning products.

Just a reminder, keep any of these cleaners well out of the way of pets and kids.

Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Like daymobrew I use Muc-Off and find it very effective indeed. I'm going to have to give that chain cleaner a go though, currently I just use a cloth on the chain and while it does work quite well obviously it isn't 100%.

Advertisement