Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting hard to find petrol stations.

Options
  • 16-10-2006 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭

I remember hearing about this on Today FM a while back, but I seen it for myself last week. I'm not usually driving in around Dublin City centre, so ir came as a shock to me how few petrol stations there are in some parts of the city.
    I drove from Clondalkin, through Ballyfermot, by the side of the Phoenix park, onto Parkgate street, right up the north quays, past the customs house, past the point depot, past the docks and into Eastpoint business park. On the way back, I went the other way, and took a right out of eastpoint, left onto the Malahide road at Clontarf and straight through the Five lamps, up Amiens st and across the river. In that entire journey, I didnt pass a single operating petrol station! It wasnt a problem, as I was only gonna stop for a drink anyway, but I passed 3 or 4 stations that I always knew were there and the whole lot of them were either closed of demolished. The next station i passed was that ridiculously expensive one on the southside quays in front of the multi storey carpark (charging €1.34 a litre :rolleyes: ) and after that, it was back on the naas road before I saw another. Even the big extra high truckers station near the docks has been razed to the ground.

Why is this happening? I know land is worth a fortune, but wouldnt a funcitoning service station make a nice profit?? I fear a lack of choice is going to mean increased prices and reduced service. I always wondered how that southside quays station kept its business, but it would appear to be one of few stations actually left in the city so its a case of either pay up, or splutter to a stop.

Do you think this is going to continue until there are next to none left, and do you think this will adversely affect the prices and the quality?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I've driven home from the City Centre to Tallaght late at night and its hard to find an open one until I get close to home - i've been caught off guard once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

I keep 9 litres of vegetable oil under my driver's seat for this reason.
    Won't work for most of the rest of you, though!
    ;)

The one on the Howth Road at Clontarf is gone also. I would imagine its got to do with the price of land if they get planning on it for yet more apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

feck all margin in fuel, why spend your months and years fighting for business that gives you 2-3% when you can sell the land for appartments for €x000,000

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

overdriver wrote:
    ;)

The one on the Howth Road at Clontarf is gone also. I would imagine its got to do with the price of land if they get planning on it for yet more apartments.

Do you mean the maxol at the clontarf road end? It was still there as of last week, only station for miles around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,927 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

when I was a kid, there were 4 stations in Greystones, now there's 1. No money in the petrol itself, just in the forecourt shops.

when I was paris a while back I noticed they have petrol stations built into the ground floors of buildings. Are there regulations here that prevent that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manti452

Gerry wrote:
    Do you mean the maxol at the clontarf road end? It was still there as of last week, only station for miles around :)

still there on saturday...

to the OP : if you'd cut down into Ballybough you'd have found the Esso at the corner of the Richmond Rd still there.

Pumps.ie is good for finding them.. the prices are usually updated but would be handy to locate a station regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

loyatemu wrote:
    when I was a kid, there were 4 stations in Greystones, now there's 1. No money in the petrol itself, just in the forecourt shops.

when I was paris a while back I noticed they have petrol stations built into the ground floors of buildings. Are there regulations here that prevent that?

I don't think so - the new Marriott Hotel in Galway has a petrol station built into the ground floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

manti452 wrote:
    to the OP : if you'd cut down into Ballybough you'd have found the Esso at the corner of the Richmond Rd still there.

There is a Maxol on Tolka Park side of Richmond Road too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

You would have passed a statoil on the opposite side of the quays, across from the four courts i think.

Gerry wrote:

Its the one just at the start of the stand. Gone as of Saturday night, guys.
    Unless we're thinking of a different place?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭bedrock1001

The Texaco garage near rathfarnham village is closing on Oct 22nd "until further notice" for "renovations".

Funny thing is they are letting their stock of everything run out.

Me thinks they might be selling up - any one else have any thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

omega man wrote:
    You would have passed a statoil on the opposite side of the quays, across from the four courts i think.
    That station (IslandBridge?) used to be one of the cheapest in the country. Now it's one of the most expensive (petrol was 1.30 a litre there when I drove by last week).

The thing to do it just plan your routine trips and plan your visits to your nearest and cheapest forecourt. I tend to go into the Tesco's Clearwater (on the N2?) and get a very cheap fill of diesel every fortnight. Unlike Tesco Clarehall, it's usually very quiet and not like a scene out of Mad Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

overdriver wrote:
    ;)

You mean the one on the Clontarf road is gone (beside Garda station). The one on the Howth Road is very much there, was in it today.

Correct and right That's the one.
    The one on the Canal between Sally's Bridge and Harold's Cross bridge is gone too. Just saw that tonight.

Advertisement