Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newspaper player ratings

Options
  • 16-10-2006 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Over the years I’ve often wondered if I’ve watched the same game as the newspaper reporters. You know how sometimes you’d think a guy was great or had a shocker and then read the player ratings saying the complete opposite.

Whatever little faith I had in these newspaper player ratings was completely washed away by Ralph Ellis in yesterday’s Sunday Mirror. Ellis gave both Defoe and Berbatov 5/10 but Angel got 6/10.
    How can a guy who missed a penalty and then scored an og get 6/10 ? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

yiddo wrote:
    Over the years I’ve often wondered if I’ve watched the same game as the newspaper reporters. You know how sometimes you’d think a guy was great or had a shocker and then read the player ratings saying the complete opposite.

Whatever little faith I had in these newspaper player ratings was completely washed away by Ralph Ellis in yesterday’s Sunday Mirror. Ellis gave both Defoe and Berbatov 5/10 but Angel got 6/10.
    How can a guy who missed a penalty and then scored an og get 6/10 ? :confused:

These newspaper ratings are a waste of time .... i never take any credence in it and only make judgement with what i view in my own eyes ... have to say also that , maybe i'm paranoid, but i think there is definately some sort of vendetta against Spurs by the press ...when do we ever get a decent review by anyone !!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The Beeb?
    Tottenham looked set to grab a deserved win despite being a man down, but they reckoned without Barry's intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

The Beeb?

Ok i'll give you that one :D I was thinking more of the tabloid press ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

As I said to Pat on FTL, most of the reports of footie games are compiled during the 2nd half by hacks under pressure to file as early as possible. I've seen one tabloid (the Oirish Sun I think) do a full report on a 2-2 draw that was in fact a 4-2 win with two late goals in the 2nd half! Report was entirely on the 1st half action, guy had obviously put his report together before the two late goals and fecked off before they were scored...:rolleyes:

Advertisement