Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glorious shore diving??

• 16-10-2006 10:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Hello out there boards users,

Currently myself and a few others are looking at doing a lot of diving over the winter months. And the best way to do that at this time of year is shore diving as boats often get blown out due to bad weather.

This is a new phenomenon for me and i could do with some input on where to go. So where have you guys done your shore diving?

Points like local accomodation, diving facilities such as compressors etc, local watering holes ;) and the dives themselves would be great info to get and could be useful as a resource for other divers.

Thanks in advance guys!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭donny

Ha ha... loser

I give you 2 weekends before you get fed up of it :D

What do you need a compressor for? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

The comressor is for dilutent. And yes, shore diving is not exactly riveting!

Did 2 dives in Rossroe pier on saturday and was screaming for mercy at the end of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭smcmullan

The Inner Lees wreck and the Alastor wreck in Strangford spring to mind as does St. Johns Point, Co. Donegal and Myle's Creek in Kilkee, Co. Clare.

Info on http://www.tempoweb.com/diveireland/ and http://www.dusac.org/Guide

Cheers, Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

Is there lessons available for this type of thing ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭smcmullan

There sure is. If I'm guessing right that you're in Co. Louth then check out:

The Scuba Store, 4 Shop Street,Drogheda Tel:041 9836036

or perhaps even better:

http://www.dundalksubaqua.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Scania

If you get borred with shorediving, then you are borred with diving full stop.
    Ireland is full of excellent shoredives. You will see more wildlife on a shoredive than most boatdives.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

Peace, I dunno if you are ever in the Cork/Kerry area;

There is a pretty good shore dive near Caherdaniel in Kerry, I think it called Lambs Head. Take the right turn 500m approx. on the Sneem side and continue an that road for 2-3km until you get to a small, sheltered harbour, it's a dead end anyway and there is a couple of car parking places available.

Enter the water (there are steps for us OAPs!) and go out the harbour exit, then go left (west) and after about 20m through kelp there is a drop off to a gully that is 20m deep approx, this gully goes in a North-South direction & when the SPG reads 100bars just turn back and it's easy to find the harbour.

Be careful of tides when you are re-entering the harbour as I used up a sh1t-load of air trying to get back in as the tide was going out:D

To see its location enter the following co-ordinates into Google Earth;

51 44 37.47 N 10 08 10.34 W

Benny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Miss Polaris

Massmount is a good winter shore dive in Donegal, but paking has become a bit of a problem. The dive is anything from 10-30m. Its a black hole though after about 18m....but good if you are just conditioning. Head for Tamney (Tawney) for Massmount, Pass church on left, dive sites/reefs just up from Church.

Also the usual faves Port Na Blagh pier, Downings Pier, lots of places you can take a boat out of to sheltered spots as well as ok for shore diving.

And of course, St Johns point.....probably the most well known - but cant say its a fave of mine :-)

Ps...Massmount temps can be 5degrees in winter as low salinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 finbo

Can you please let me know how you got on this winter.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Well there was lots of diving in Killary fjord... which was pretty sucky. Had a very good weekend in St Johns point. The Alistar wreck in strangford lough is a nice little wreck which is a handy shore dive. Pitty its such a long way.

That was really it. Managed to get the horus on the rebreather and i'm back to boat diving now (well puking over the side for the moment as my sea legs are well and truly not there!).

• Advertisement
Advertisement