Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your perfect breakfast?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

chamlis wrote:
    Emma Watson.
    Amen.
    I love her.:(

But, yeah, two bowls of Krispies will do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Grem

A toasted bagel factory bagel with egg, mushrooms and cheese with loads of black pepper and a pinch of salt. And a kiwi kick smoothie too. MMMMMMMMMMM.

Or failing that superquinn saussie's on a crispy breadroll is simply superb also. With a big glass of Squeez multivitamin juice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Wow, I don't even like fries, but I'm dying for one now...

Mine is when you're staying in a fancy hotel and they have a massive buffet. I'd stay there for hours, sampling everything. Yummy.

Or toast and tea when I'm hungover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Would be the one my mum used to make when I was going to school.... ah those were the days :D

Started off with a big bowl of porridge, actually it wasn't even a bowl. It was a pyrex dish as there was no bowl big enough :o
    Then that was followed by a nice big fry up of sausages, rashers, pudding, eggs and fried potaotes or boxty washed down with a mug of tea and 4 slices of toast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

2 slices of white bread, real butter, loads of HP brown sauce, superquinn sausages, hash browns + 1 soft fried or poached egg.

Failing that I'll settle for anything put next to a big pot of tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

jester77 wrote:
    Would be the one my mum used to make when I was going to school.... ah those were the days :D

Started off with a big bowl of porridge, actually it wasn't even a bowl. It was a pyrex dish as there was no bowl big enough :o
    Then that was followed by a nice big fry up of sausages, rashers, pudding, eggs and fried potaotes or boxty washed down with a mug of tea and 4 slices of toast!
    What were you, a black hole?
    "That's right, baby. I got a quatum singularity in my stomach. Wanna make out?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭XchampagneX

NeMiSiS wrote:
    what eggsactly (sorry:o ) is eggs benedict?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

What's in eggs Benedict?

From the bottom up:

English muffins. Unfrozen is best. Their split halves should be toasted to crispness. Tearing the halves apart with a fork or with hands, rather than slicing them, increases their surface area, and therefore also their flavor and absorbancy. Few restaurants bother. English muffins need not be the soft, yeasty, most popular Thomas's brand. Actually, they should not be, since Thomas's standard muffins are too small and their sandwich-size muffins are too large. Matthew's is a good retail brand of English muffin in the New York City area.

Canadian bacon. Standard bacon comes from pork "bellies," the underside of the hog, along the ribs. Canadian bacon comes from the meatier loin, along the backbone. It is trimmed of excess fat and is cured like ham. Often, ordinary ham is substituted in eggs Benedict. Canadian bacon should be freshly grilled, but is always packaged presliced, which does not improve flavor or texture. Technically, it is "Canadian-style" bacon if it is not of Canadian origin. Canadians do not eat it more than any other pork-product-loving people, though they may call it back bacon or pea-meal bacon.

Eggs. Poached till whites are set but not chewy. Vinegar may have been added to help set the whites, but that should not be detectable. The yolk can range from runny to almost set. The yolk should be hot during cooking; it is a very special bonus if it's still hot, yet not too thickened, when it reaches your table. Excess white is sometimes trimmed before serving.

Hollandaise sauce. A hardly cooked beaten egg yolk, gently thickened with hot drawn butter, plus a squirt of lemon juice and/or dusting of paprika or similar spice. The lemon flavor and/or spice should not be overwhelming. Hollandaise should not be too buttery, which overwhelms the flavor of the poached eggs and Canadian bacon beneath it. Low-end eggs Benedict is served with instant hollandaise sauce (reviewed at the bottom of the recipes page).

Side dish. Potatoes, especially home fries, an excellent foil for mopping up stray yolk and sauce. Roasted potatoes also are common.

Beverages. Juice, mimosas, and bloody Marys are popular. Coffee or tea complements or finishes the meal.

Pic here - http://www.sheridanrogers.com/porfolio/eggs_benedict.jpg

There you go :)

TK

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

Heavily buttered French bread sandwich of HOT Galtee rashers with brown sauce + HOT mug of tea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

chamlis wrote:
    What were you, a black hole?
    "That's right, baby. I got a quatum singularity in my stomach. Wanna make out?"

That used to only keep me going for 3 hours! Played a lot of sport back then, played for my college and for my club at different levels so I was playing 3 or 4 games a week and training at lunch times with my college and in the evenings with my various club teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Great question OP!

Pighead has two types of Breakfasts.
    Type 1: Corn Flakes with Milk( if I'm feeling adventurous or naughty, perhaps the slightest dash of sugar on top)

Type 2: Croissants cut in half and spread with nutella add some chopped nuts and a little bit of grated chocolate followed accompanied with orange/grapefruit juice followed by pastries, bagels, egg dishes, cream crackers and French toast. Then on to the main fry which consists of bacon, eggs, sausages, mushrooms, hash browns, Fried Bread, fried tomatoes and fried onions.

Which breakfast I have depends on many things but mainly upon whether I'm back in me mams house or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

My perfect breakfast is, Rashers and scrambled eggs in a bread roll, sort of half mooned shape (not french soup roll). After this silver dollar pancakes about 1 inch across, a plate of these smothered in syrup and a vanilla milkshake to wash it down. Lovely. I had this breakfast a few times in a little cafe in Queens, New York, while I spent a few days there while travelling the East Coast. Is it me or does food always taste better while you are away travelling???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I usually just have crunchy nut cereal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If I'm not that hungry, then a bowl of fruit muesli and a glass of fruit juice. If I'm in a junk-food mood, then pancakes with maple syrup and a really big mug of strong black coffee with lots of sugar :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

A bowl of weetos or a bacon and egg sandwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 replicantface

Tom Yum noodles.
    Soda Farl toasted and slathered with butter.
    Couple of slices of lightly toasted batch (toasted only on one side).
    Grilled potato waffles.
    Fried slices of potato.
    Potato Farls fried.
    A few hashbrowns.
    Some leftover Indian food (pref very very spicy).
    Some chicken sausages.
    Some bacon.
    A bag of salted peanuts.
    A few slices of cold chicken/turkey.
    A huge cup of steaming hot coffee.
    A glass of grapefruit juice.

Tasty way to get a Saturday hangover moving in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

a BIG MASSIVE bowl of cereal, followed by another bowl (can't say what cereal exactly, it changes a lot)
    Muffins
    Pancakes/Drop Scones
    Barry's Tea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

perfect brekkie would have to be anything decent while sitting on a nice foreign beach and a nice summer morning, but preferably something like pancakes as you can't get decent fry anywhere else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

Almost anything, as long as it's NOT continental style breakfast!! haha...

Right now, I would like fried rice with an egg on top. mmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Porridge with honey and some fruit and to drink a smoothy or a probiotic youghurt thickie. Lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

I love eggs benedict as well. Yummy! But I normally eat a bowl of Special K.

Oh, and a special treat is a certain friend's excellent omlettes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

7000 breakfast rolls please, thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Oh Jesus you're all going to have heart attacks! :p

I could never eat anything like greasy bacon/rashers/sausages/pudding. Party because I'm vegetarian, and party because ew grease in the morning!

I do love breakfast but I hardly ever have time to eat it in the mornings. My ideal breakfast if I had lots of time to eat it would be a nice continental-style buffet, with plenty of fresh fruit and cereal (weetabix yum, nothnig too sugary, it's far too early for that!) and a hot toatsed bagel with cream cheese, washed down with OJ or coffee (or even both!)

Oh and a croissant/danish if I feel like treating myself :)

Almost anything, as long as it's NOT continental style breakfast!! haha...

Right now, I would like fried rice with an egg on top. mmmm

You mean the cold coffee and dried out doughnuts over a week old that have blue spots on them? I always wonder about that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Pfft, that's not a REALY continental breakfast! I'm going to Poland next week and I'm rleally looking forward to breakfast in the hotel over there!

Oh and I forgot to mention in my last post, I haven't had it in years, but I used to love French Toast- yummers!

Piste wrote:
    Pfft, that's not a REALY continental breakfast! I'm going to Poland next week and I'm rleally looking forward to breakfast in the hotel over there!

Oh and I forgot to mention in my last post, I haven't had it in years, but I used to love French Toast- yummers!

Good chance you'll be getting the buffet style breakfast, lots to choose from. All of the hotels in Germany and over Europe, we stayed at had the buffet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Fresh baked madeleines with a flute of chilled veuve cliquot on a balcony meeting the 6am sunrise.

...realistically, a tracker bar and a venti skinny latte from starbucks while sitting on a stuffed commuter train reading a freesheet newspaper and working on catching the common cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Bleh... I don't know how people can put food in their bodies first thing in the morning.

Oh and the age of consent is 16 in the UK... so Ms Watson would be fair game.
    If there's grass on the pitch... ehh... I forget the rest, but you get the point :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

"Ballyglan Special" - my parents artery clogging invention that we got as a special treat a couple of Sundays a year as kids.

Diced rashers, kidneys and button mushrooms fried up in an old round-bottomed wok with salt, pepper and finely chopped parsley, with sour cream dumped in just before the end and served on hot buttered toast. There's a secret ingredient too, but it's only known to a select few.

Divine!

Advertisement