Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polytunnel - prepare ground?

Options
  • 16-10-2006 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking into buying a polytunnel in the next few weeks. I got the entire site rotovated and the waste from dragging the top back ( weed & high grass) it set at the back of the site rough and uneven. Its settled down now about a month & a half.

I'd like to put the tunnel on this but i think i'd have to add top soil etc. Has anyone any advice - should i mix the soil with manure before planting or wait until i plant and then add manure etc.. Would it be better to put the tunnel on the rotavated part of the soil instead and avoid any use of rough ground etc.

Sorry if its unclear. Undecided whats best for the optimum ease of growth for veg and the like.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Hi

Sorry to hijack your thread...I want to buy a polytunnel for hubby...where do you get them..approx price etc please?

Don't know the answers to your questions as I am not the gardener in this house.

Would appreciate your advice on locating a tunnel though for Christmas present!

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

Theres a guy in wexford - he's trying to sell me a 14ft x 18.9ft without doors unfitted 6.3ft height for 500 quid more expensive again for the 7.5ft height. I think he's more commercial though as 18.9ft is the width. strikes me a tad too big for a small holder etc.

Apparently this is good value though?! I have another price list of a guy in meath at home i stashed it away months ago so i'll have a look at it and let you know. Unsure if i can list names & numbers on this site? Can I? If not i'm sure you can PM me. Theres poly dome green houses in Offaly - seem a bit pricey though.

I'll let you know tomorrow. - Funny user name BTW.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Hi stifz...thanks for your post and I'd be delighted if you could name or post me with all the contacts. We have no problems with space so want a large high one.

Yeah I thought the name was good...when we were doing our self build I wanted to let the guys on the boards know that I was a woman doing a self build 'cos I knew that I was probably gonna ask a few silly questions and it's worked out great! Looking forward to hearing from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

Sent you a PM with all the contact details of the suppliers.

deadly crimbo pressie - lucky man!
    goodluck.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

I built my own this year from the plans on this site:
    http://www.overthegardengate.net/UserPages/pp_view.asp?FName=Polytunnel&Page=1
    You could adapt it to suit whatever size you need. I had a great summer of veg. Mine is about 20' x 10' and it cost about €500 to build using new materials. If you can salvage some of the materials better again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

there's a company in cuffesgrange kilkenny doing good value polytunnels.
    [url]www.highbankonline.com:[/url])

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

www.polydome.ie have a good site. Based down near Birr.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,415 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

http://www.theorganiccentre.ie/courses.html

have some great courses on growing in polytunnells , went on one a few years ago but never got the polytunnel (no cash)
    they have several up so you can look around them

Advertisement