Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hated Cover Versions

Options
  • 16-10-2006 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭

Was listening to Today FM on my way to work today and they played that new Greenday/U2 cover that they released. The second the song ended someone texted in to say they ruined the song.
    This got me thinking is there any cover versions out there that you absolutely cannot stand ?
    For me its the scissor sisters cover of Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb. I love that song and when I heard the over I nearly cried. Scissor sisters raped that song and pissed all over it.
    </Rant>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

And therein lies the problem. People's tastes are completely different. I personally loved the Scissor Sisters' version of Comfortably Numb, and I am a Floyd fan too. It wasn't just a copy with the odd melody changed, they changed the whole song. Then again, look at the likes of that useless piece of trash U2 knocked out with the old has-been Mary J. Blighe. What a turd! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

My most hated cover versions is No Doubt-Its my life (Talk Talk) and Sixpence none the richer- There She Goes (The La's)

Strangly 2 other "cover" versions I hate are done by the artist themselves Lur Reed alowed some crapy Dj to remix "Satelite of Love" recently to horrible effect and Cabaret Voltaire reworked "Yashir" one of my all time favorite songs into a crappy dancier vewrsion

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

As a rule of thumb, I passionately hate those covers that wind up on the "Even Better Than The Real Thing" series.

Follow these steps to musical Hades...

1. Take a classical upbeat pop song.
    2. Recruit one of this countries many prissy dirge merchants or folksy wazzocks.
    3. Assemble said offenders in the Today FM studio, fill them full of false praise, "witty" text messages and a captive audience of receptionists.
    4. Strip all the pace, joy and passion out of the song, as if it were performed in a vacuum. Chuckle at your own post-ironic gaucheness. Chuckle even more if you're covering some 80s song because if there's one thing that everyone loves, it's legislated 80s nostalgia.
    5. Release aforementioned song and woe betide all those who mock if because "it's for charideeee".
    6. Feel the sulphur.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Ronan Keating's cover of Goo Goo Dolls - Iris is laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

WellyJ wrote:

Ditto Garth Brooks - If Tomorrow never comes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

madonna doing american pie *shivers uncontrollably*

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Ryan Adams can jump off a bridge for his cover of 'Wonderwall'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

there was some band there durin the year, i cant remember the name, but the covered "Basket Case" by Green Day.
    they didnt even alter it, or try to make something original out of it, they just played it exactly the same, except ot wasn't as good.
    crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

There have been so many baaaaad covers (that I can't think of right now) but honourable mention must go to Guns N' Roses version of Knocking On Heaven's Doh-woah-woh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

it's funny, but i could never stand that Guns 'n' Roses song 'sweet child of mine' i wretch every time i hear it, the opening guitar line makes me want to smash things up, puking and foaming at the mouth in a spontaneous fit of uncontrollable rage....:mad:
    like one of the zombies in that movie '28 days later'

But i heard an american band called 'LUNA' cover it, and it's a much better version :) i'm sure you'll get it on limewire or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

The All Saints murdered the Chilli Peppers' "Under the Bridge". However their version of Lady Marmalade was ok.

There really is no accounting for taste, eh? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Robbo wrote:
    1. Take a classical upbeat pop song.
    2. Recruit one of this countries many prissy dirge merchants or folksy wazzocks.
    3. Assemble said offenders in the Today FM studio, fill them full of false praise, "witty" text messages and a captive audience of receptionists.
    4. Strip all the pace, joy and passion out of the song, as if it were performed in a vacuum. Chuckle at your own post-ironic gaucheness. Chuckle even more if you're covering some 80s song because if there's one thing that everyone loves, it's legislated 80s nostalgia.
    5. Release aforementioned song and woe betide all those who mock if because "it's for charideeee".
    6. Feel the sulphur.

My god - did you work for today FM? Well summarised.

Did anyone watch 'the panel' the other night? Well I just walked into the sitting room to retreive something and I caught the end of it: JacK L was playing a rendition of chart topping hit 'Crazy' - the formula was exactly as above except it was spawned in an RTE studio. Are Irish musicians really so devoid of their own ideas that they have to resort to these formulae?

Covering a pop song in this manner is great craic at a party - I had people in stiches the other night when I played "dont you wish your girlfriend was hot like me....la la la la la la la la la la" on the guitar (mostly Dm and Am BTW) - lets keep it confined to such places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

I like most covers, actually...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

J.S. Pill wrote:
    My god - did you work for today FM? Well summarised.

Did anyone watch 'the panel' the other night? Well I just walked into the sitting room to retreive something and I caught the end of it: JacK L was playing a rendition of chart topping hit 'Crazy' - the formula was exactly as above except it was spawned in an RTE studio. Are Irish musicians really so devoid of their own ideas that they have to resort to these formulae?

Covering a pop song in this manner is great craic at a party - I had people in stiches the other night when I played "dont you wish your girlfriend was hot like me....la la la la la la la la la la" on the guitar (mostly Dm and Am BTW) - lets keep it confined to such places

naw - i'll have to disagree; I can see the tiresomeness of anotherindieband doing another 'pop' cover in an ironic way, but at the same time, there's something kind of charming about seeing overproduced tunes being reduced to their barest basest components and still being good songs. If anything it's a demonstration that you don't need the best studio and the best pro-tools set up to make a song sound good - although whether it's radio friendly is another story entirely.

If memory serves (and bearing in mind Robbos seeming abhorrance of anything which emanates from a certain radio station on Middle Abbey St:D) I seem to recall the Roesy cover of 'Breathe' by Blu Cantrell being great as well. Sassy poptastic anthem gets turned into pub singalong with *quite possibly* the best barrel-room piano work this side of 'Alright' by Supergrass....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Den_M wrote:
    Ryan Adams can jump off a bridge for his cover of 'Wonderwall'.
    Noel Gallagher didn't think so.
    He loved the version so much, he played Ryans 'version' of their tour at the time .

Thought you would have mentioned Mike Flowers Pop cover of it :D

For me (as a Ryan Adams Fan|), I can't stand the Bono & The Corrs version of 'Stars Go Blue'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

McFly's version of queens - Dont stop me now and their version of 'my generation'. I Fuckin hate em. One day i will kill them, very slowly and painfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Buzzcocks song 'ever fallen in love' covered by.......wait for it !! circa 1986 !!

:eek: :eek: :eek: 'Fine Young Cannibals' :eek: :eek: :eek:

beat that ;)

AAAAAGGGHH !!!! AAAAAGGGHH !!!! OH SWEET JEASUS !!!! I CAN HEAR IT IN MY FU**ING HEAD NOW !!!!!!

if you havn't heard it, please don't unnecessarily put yourself through it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

whiskeyman wrote:
    Noel Gallagher didn't think so.
    He loved the version so much, he played Ryans 'version' of their tour at the time .

Thought you would have mentioned Mike Flowers Pop cover of it :D

Both covers are good.

Nothing worse than a cover that's identical to the original, why bother? At least try to put your own unique slant on it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Avril Lavigne sodomising System of a Downs "Chop Suey" is definitely the worst cover version ever

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I ****ing love that, it is my favourite song at the moment, I'm listening to it right now. Oh yeah, rock out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

WellyJ wrote:
    That is punishable by death. How dare such a loser ruin a great song :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Appartently Robbie Williams has covered "King of the Bongo" by Manu Chao on his latest album. THE SWINE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Oh god there's so MANY bad cover versions out there...

Britney Spears - I Love Rock N' Roll (NO, BRITNEY, NO YOU DON'T!) - originally by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
    DJ Otzi - Hey Baby or Doo Wah Diddy - originally by Bruce Campbell and Manfred Mann respectively
    Michael Bolton - Sittin' On The Dock of the Bay - originally by Otis Redding
    Atomic Kitten - The Tide Is High - previously by Blondie, originally by The Paragons
    Jessica Simpson - These Boots Were Made For Walkin' - originally by Nancy Sinatra
    Counting Crows - Big Yellow Taxi - originally by Joni Mitchell
    Busted - Teenage Kicks (someone please kill them now) - originally by The Undertones

... and hang on... what was the point in Stereophonics releasing "Handbags and Gladrags" (originally by Rod Stewart)? Kelly Jones has the SAME VOICE as Rod. Sounds like Rod just loans Jones his voice every so often, tbh...

By the way, I did a top ten on my radio show of the best cover versions ever back in January... it read like this.

Bard wrote:
    ... and hang on... what was the point in Stereophonics releasing "Handbags and Gladrags" (originally by Rod Stewart)? Kelly Jones has the SAME VOICE as Rod. Sounds like Rod just loans Jones his voice every so often, tbh...

By the way, I did a top ten on my radio show of the best cover versions ever back in January... it read like this.

speaking of Rod...seems he has a new album out of (yet more) covers. Anyhoo, one of the songs he does is called 'It's a heartache' which was originally done by Bonnie Tyler. What's funny is that most people think that it was Rod singing the original anyway...more here

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Robbo wrote:
    As a rule of thumb, I passionately hate those covers that wind up on the "Even Better Than The Real Thing" series.

Personally I have no prblem with the EBTTRT series - a million times better than the formula that goes:
    1. Take a perfectly good song, add electronic drum sounds (to the front of the mix please!)
    2. Throw in a pinch of europop keyboard sounds
    3. Speed up by an extra 50bpm
    4. Drag some coloured dude in off the street and give him a short series of rhyming couplets to shout out to widen your audience. Ensure he 'raps' at the most inappropriate moments in the song.
    5. Get between 2-6 pimply Westlife/Spice girl wannabees to "sing" over it.
    6. Blanket market to 10-14yr old girls.

Good grief. Today I heard somebody kill a goo Elvis Costello song.
    Mind you, I also saw a video of Ozzy doing a Christmas song with some blonde girl. Good grief Ozzy, WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

Not quiet a cover but u2's "one"with Mary J. Blige was brutal

Jeeeeeeeeeeeesus its bad

Actually, what's quite interesting is the anti-indie covers we're getting nowadays. The Sugababes did a cover of 'i bet you look good on the dancefloor' as a b-side, and here we go - Girls aloud to do the Kaiser Chiefs!

http://www.nme.com/news/kaiser-chiefs/24598

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Actually, what's quite interesting is the anti-indie covers we're getting nowadays. The Sugababes did a cover of 'i bet you look good on the dancefloor' as a b-side, and here we go - Girls aloud to do the Kaiser Chiefs!

http://www.nme.com/news/kaiser-chiefs/24598
    It actually works both ways. The Arctic Monkeys did a cover of Girl Aloud's "Love Macine" a while back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

As a Floyd fan i hate this one,its pretty awful.

Nightwish - High Hopes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Worst of ALL TIME!!!!! - The Corrs - Old Town
    I don't care how good lookin' they are they will now be forever ugly in my eyes......

Advertisement