Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

advise sought

Options
  • 16-10-2006 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭

Hi, Buying my first car (second hand of course) and a little apprehensive about the whole process, not really knowing a whole pile. Done my research, thanks to the internet, and have selected a car which I thought was good value. (its probably not great value for experienced drivers, but what the hey)

I dont know what proportion of car dealers/mechanics are straight down the line operations, and it may that one or two bad apples have made me unneccessarily cautious, but has anyone ever had any dealings with Hilton Motors, Blanchardstown.

Just dont want to be regretting not posting this message up if the car I get aint what it says on the tin. Is fsh the best/only protection that a buyer has? If there are any boards dwellers who have had have positive experiences, it would be great to know. Also, anyone with warnings would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd be very iffy about buying from any back-street dealer, in my opinion you'd be much better off buying privately. If you don't know much about cars then don't even bother looking at anything without a full, verifiable, service history and have it checked over by a mechanic prior to purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭Morgans

Thanks for that Anan1, advise duly taken on board.

Many years ago, my father used to buy and sell cars quite successfully and with no mechanical knowledge. His technique was to focus on the owner, along with the things anyone can see - has the car been cleaned regularly? Is the boot tidy? Is the owners house & garden tidy?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Anan1 wrote:
    I'd be very iffy about buying from any back-street dealer, in my opinion you'd be much better off buying privately. If you don't know much about cars then don't even bother looking at anything without a full, verifiable, service history and have it checked over by a mechanic prior to purchase.

A private sale will give you absolutely no comeback or warranty, the only advantage of buying privately is sussing out the owners.

colm_mcm wrote:
    A private sale will give you absolutely no comeback or warranty, the only advantage of buying privately is sussing out the owners.
    This is true, although I wouldn't expect much help from a back street dealer after the sale either. Other advantages of buying privately are that you get more car for your money and you get to see the car in its true, untarted, state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

a lot of private have no idea of how little their car is worth, and will go on prices advertised on carzone for guidance, a private seller is less likely to give a discount. a dealer almost always will.

Also if the garage is a SIMI member, you have some chance of resolving a dispute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭Morgans

thanks lads. All noted.

Advertisement