Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoddy treatment - What would you do?

Options
  • 16-10-2006 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello there,

A good friend of mine was recently treated very shoddily by a gun dealer. Here is what happened...

1. Friend buys an over/under game gun of turkish make about 18 months ago. He payed cash i.e no trade in.

2. My friend gets into the clays, and decides that he wants to trade up to a heavier, dedicated sporter.

3. The dealer he bought it from won't take it in a trade in! He will only sell it on for him.

I think this is an absolute disgrace, as the dealer in question obviously won't stand over the product he sold in the first place.

What do you think?

What would you do?

cheers...

czmate

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Take your business to another dealer..

The dealer is under no legal obligation to accept any firearm as a trade in , however it would be usual that he/she would allow as a trade in any firearm he had sold.

Prices offered would usually depend on it's condition and the value of the new object of desire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Find another dealer, was treated badly by the first dealer i ever went to. Now i go to a different guy, someone whos customer service orientated. Theres an undercurrent in the attitude of some dealers in this country "Yea its a gun, thats the price buy it or leave."
    In relation to your experience id do some shopping round and a bit of travelling till i found a nicer dealer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭st3vo

I have to say im only new to this sport and people i have spoke to on this forum and in stores have been more than helpful!

Stores i was talking were ;

Duffy's fishing and shooting (galway)
    The Gun Gallery (Drogheda)

Both stores where extremley helpful and didn't seem to mind spending time with me and my stupid questions

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Courtlough are fairly easy going aswell, its a result of the type of customers (or browsers) in a lot of cases, anyone who has been to tallaght will know what i mean,

"Im looking for a gun for shooting human sized targets,..... from a moving car..... "

But then, like anything else in life, theres just @$$holes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭st3vo

"Im looking for a gun for shooting human sized targets,..... from a moving car..... "

LOL!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

kowloon wrote:
    But then, like anything else in life, theres just @$$holes

agree here, I know a few knob jockies and so i buy all my ammo from a gun dealer who is sound, has good prices and will have a good ol' chat.

Once i spent about 9 grand over the space of two years at one gun shop and even to this day it is impossible to get the guy to price/source a gun for me. So i have taken my business elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Last gun I bought I got the dealer to agree to take it as a trade in if and when I want to upgrade - whether he will or not is another question :rolleyes: but he'll have some battle on his hands.

Best thing is to ring around and find one that will accept your friends gun as a trade in.
    They know their markets and what they will be able to shift - different parts of the country will favour different guns/calibers etc.
    Not everyone is on the net researching their next gun they just get advice from some old lads from the local gun club etc.

Advertisement