Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Irish Times]What's the story with telecoms competition?

Options
  • 16-10-2006 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

There a (free) commentary on the Smart debacle in todays Irish Times.
    Breaking the connection

What's the story with telecoms competition/Conor Pope: There's little that is magic and even less that is smart about the sudden collapse of Smart Telecom's residential phone business which left more than 40,000 subscribers swinging in the wind this month.

These few lines are particularly interesting:
    Eircom spokesman told PriceWatch. "It is also worth noting that ComReg knew about this problem on September 4th."

Comreg denies this and says it was only given three minutes notice.

"We are the ones who put the interim solution in place that allowed Smart's customers to make free emergency, local and national calls," says an Eircom spokeman. "We are underwriting this solution to the tune of a couple of million euro."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Nice to see some accurate and positive coverage on Smart's offerings in the article:
    Smart Telecom still offers one of the cheapest and best broadband packages on the market.

The Eircom rep makes some good points which on paper and in isolation, are valid, but it would have been interesting if someone had put the question to them as to why their current round of advertising is so misleading....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Foxwood wrote:
    These few lines are particularly interesting:

I happened to me meeting the EU's telecoms regulation people today and brought that up. The Consumer Advisory Panel i.e. the ones who took the soup and are eircom's cheerleaders vigourously defended ComReg and said it was false. My sources are stronger than theirs. They just parrot what ComReg tell them.

Advertisement