Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedals: Time, Look, Shimano?

Options
  • 16-10-2006 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

Guys,
    I'm looking to get some road specific pedals.
    At the moment I have a pair of MTB spd pedals on my road bike, but I reckon the time is right to invest in a proper pair of road pedals.

Can anyone recommend a pedal?

thanks

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I'm using look KEO's and very happy with them. I find I prefer a descent sized base to avoid hot spots and the looks are good for that. If you have any joint issues you may need to consider some of the more exotic types (e.g. speedplays). I take it you want to change to a road shoe as well? Loads of roadies cycle with spd's on their road shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

bought a pair of road shoes last week, but just stuck the spd cleats on them.
    Was thinking of these Look pedals...
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13078
    or maybe these Time ones...
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9240
    both are a similar price

How do you find your Look KEOs for clipping in?
    An older pair of pedals I had (one sided SPDs) tend not to revert to a position where it is easy to engage. I had to constantly flip the pedal with my foot so I could get it in the right place. I'd much rather if the pedal was naturally weighted so that it always wants to be in the right position for clipping in

I have the standard keo's not the sprints. Clipping out is my biggest problem on the bike as I have incredibally weak ankles. I kick in (i.e. towards the bike frame) with the keo's and it works for me :-) They are a lovely pedal though.

ta' for the info hunnymonster.
    How do you find the clipping in though? After you unclip, does the pedal naturally return to the proper side for clipping in again?

clipping in is fine. They sit the correct way up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

King Raam wrote:
    ta' for the info hunnymonster.
    How do you find the clipping in though? After you unclip, does the pedal naturally return to the proper side for clipping in again?
    Most modern pedals are two-sided afaik, so no matter which side it ends up on, you can clip back in.

New pedals and clips are very tight and need a bit of working in.

I've only seen two sided spd's or spd/flat combos seamus. would the movement of the heel mech on looks not mean you can't design them that way?

seamus wrote:
    Most modern pedals are two-sided afaik, so no matter which side it ends up on, you can clip back in.

I don't think that is true. Certainly some of them are, but I wouldn't say most

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I could very much be mistaken. I had always considered MTB pedals = two-sided, road pedals = one-sided. :)

seamus wrote:
    I could very much be mistaken. I had always considered MTB pedals = two-sided, road pedals = one-sided. :)

you might be right, I've had two different pairs of MTB pedals, both double-sided.
    Have had one pair of road, and am looking at another, both single-sided.

• Advertisement
Advertisement