Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFH - some questions

Options
  • 16-10-2006 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've searched the archives but my questions don't seem to be answered there.

We're building an 1 storey extension on the back of our house (18ft x 15ft) and are thinking about using UFH instead of radiators to save on space. Our builder has quoted us the following price for this installation -

Total Cost =
    (cost of laying pipes & installing UFH control box) + boiler upgrade (if required)

which is:
    €1,700 + (anywhere between €1,800 & €3,000)

I've a question re: the boiler upgrade. Why is this needed? Surely the boiler is only concerned with heating the water in the system....and it's the pump that ensures that the heated water is pushed out through the system???

Am new to this so I am not in a position to contradict the builder in any way. So we're looking at a probable all-in price of almost €5k to install the entire system for a 18ft x 15ft room.

Is this a realistic price or should I be concerned? At the moment we 're leaning towards not going with UFH due to what we think is a hefty price for a small area.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Load of bolloxs that now in fairness.
    We have a 2075 sq ft house, for a company to come in a do both upstairs and down stairs and install the Mainifold (this is where the pipe feed and return come back together and where the hot water is feed to) in both levels, they would have done it for 8300 euro.

In the end I did it myself for 4300 euro! So your man is making some profit.

Your prob talking about anything between 30m to 40m of the UFH piping.

As for the upgrade I am not sure about that but it does not make sense, he prob needs to take a feed off the boiler and bring it to the manifold. Not upgrade.

Tell him you want a breakdown of all material used and labour.
    Put it up here, but also price around!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Yop - hi...you in your house? How's it working out?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭paulmallon

yop,
    are u using oil fired boiler and u.f.h.?
    is that system not very sore on oil?
    A friend of mine had that in and then ended up installing radiators.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Brilliant thanks, I must update the blog, gone as lazy as sh(TE now!!!

Paul - nope, geothermal and UFH, UFH and oil are not recommended from what I understand, my mate also has it in and is now paying out about 3k on oil a year.
    I wud put in the fan assisited rads if I was going down the oil route, but I would definately consider some alternatives

• Advertisement
Advertisement