Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Home Plus Upload

Options
  • 16-10-2006 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

I upgraded (after 5 calls, hung up on once, and 6 days) from Home Starter to Home Plus with Eircom...

It finally took effect as of Saturday, but the upload hasn't changed, i.e. the download is showing 2048 kbps as expected, but the upload has stayed at 128 kbps

It should be 256, shouldn't it? I've checked their package info, and it says 256 too

I'm really pissed off as the upload was pretty much the only reason I got it (for games)

Does it just take longer for the upload to change? Or will I get back onto them (...something I really want to avoid if I can)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

have you tried rebooting your modem, or checking the actual link speed its set at ( not your throughput, which is different kettle of speed )
    if it says its connected at 256k and you only get about 100kb/s or so in upload speed tests, then its likely thats its a contention issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

I upgraded (after 5 calls, hung up on once, and 6 days) from Home Starter to Home Plus with Eircom...

but the upload hasn't changed, i.e. the download is showing 2048 kbps as expected, but the upload has stayed at 128 kbps

It should be 256, shouldn't it? I've checked their package info, and it says 256 too

I'm really pissed off as the upload was pretty much the only reason I got it (for games)

i'm having the same trouble and i'v been onto them all last week and i might as well talk to the ****ing wall for all the use it was doing :mad: and it's still a 128k upload .

i so pissed of at this stage that if everything goes well with my ntl install next week and my upload is still at 128k then i'll be telling them where to stick it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

JNive wrote:
    have you tried rebooting your modem, or checking the actual link speed its set at ( not your throughput, which is different kettle of speed )
    if it says its connected at 256k and you only get about 100kb/s or so in upload speed tests, then its likely thats its a contention issue.

Rebooted the router a good few times...

It says 128 on the interface and the speed test is telling me the same

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

ah ok, no doubt they will tell you how dsl is rate adaptive and that 128k os obviously the maximum it will handle lol.

this is where SNR Margin and attenuation figures will come in handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 aob

I too am having the same problem with my upload speed as the original poster with my Home Plus package, I ugraded from homestarter, and the upgrade came into effect today, however my router now says 2048/128 (kbps) and various speed tests confirm these caps.

I'll be ringing eircom tomorrow (Monday) and will let you know if they have a fix or answer to this problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

A totally innocent question here for the teccies - how susceptible is the upload to contention etc - it does seem strange that so many people are syncing at 128? A friend of mine who recently upgraded is also getting the 128 upwards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

tell them by email that you simply refuse to pay extra for the upgrade that did not happen (its a silly software bug between dsl ordering and their dsl equipment) and cc the email to rex.comb@eircom.ie and to consumerline@comreg.ie , that should fix it fairly lively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

dub45 wrote:
    A totally innocent question here for the teccies - how susceptible is the upload to contention etc - it does seem strange that so many people are syncing at 128? A friend of mine who recently upgraded is also getting the 128 upwards.
    Contention will have absolutely no effect on the speed at which your modem synchs. You could have 100 other people "contending" with you, but the contention only comes into play from the DSLAM in the exchange out to the eircom network - the link from the DSLAM to your house is 1-to-1, so your synch speed depends on the quality of your line, not how many other users are connected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

...and what is DSLAM? ..... :confused:

Short for Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer, a mechanism at a phone company's central location that links many customer DSL connections to a single high-speed ATM line.

When the phone company receives a DSL signal, an ADSL modem with a POTS splitter detects voice calls and data. Voice calls are sent to the PSTN, and data are sent to the DSLAM, where it passes through the ATM to the Internet, then back through the DSLAM and ADSL modem before returning to the customer's PC.

More DSLAMs a phone company has, the more customers it can support.

Fox .... thanks for your earlier answer to my question .... :)

Arrggg...

I rang them on Friday about this.

First sales call:
    - 5 mins on hold waiting for sales person
    - I Give sales person info and she refers me to Tech Support
    - Knowing what this would be like, I suggested that it wasn't a tech support issue. She disagreed. I begrudgingly hang up.

Tech Support Call:
    - 20 mins waiting for a tech support agent
    - 5 mins explaining the problem (he was infatuated by the lights on my router)
    - At one stage he tells me that I haven't been hooked up at all
    - 10 mins while he go's talk to manager
    - referal to sales. expletives.

Second Sales call:
    - About 20-25 mins waiting for agent
    - I explain the problem in detail and plead for an answer, any kind of answer. She seems cooperative.
    - Puts me on hold.
    - About 10 minutes later I get thrown back into the sales phone queue, only to have a completely different agent pick up.

All I want is an answer. And well over an hour of talking to fully paid up Eircom employees and not a shred closer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I have exactly the same problem since upgrading to the 2 Meg service on the 5th. Oct. My download speed has gone up to 1.77 Mbps but the upload has remained exactly the same at 109 kbps. My reason for the change was to improve my upload for VoIP so I'm pretty peeved!

Reported the fault to BB support two weeks ago (35 mins on phone) and was told it would be fixed in 3 days! ha.

Rang again last week (30 mins) and told that the engineers were "looking into it" and that a reference on my fault log showed that numerous people had reported the same fault.

Rang again this AM and got real snotty with BB support who kept fobbing me off with their stock replies. He even came out with the gem "the engineers are doing their job!" In the end the guy was giving me the number for the Eircom complaints dept.! I told him to have Engineering ring me and explain why I wasn't getting the service I was paying for, funnily enough I am still waiting for their call...

I'm on Mullingar exchange so the problem appears to effect more than one exchange...

BTW have Eircom outsourced BB support to a call centre in India? I keep getting very heavily accented Indian Guys.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

I'm another person with this problem. Went from 1MB(Home Starter) to 2MB(Home Plus) and it was activated on the 17th/10, however my bb upload/dl speeds have not changed one iota. The strange thing is when I checked my account my up/dl allowance has been changed ok so they did do something. I gave them a week to get their act together so this morning(24th) when nothing had changed I got onto Eircom. Same thing as others, have a one sided convertsation with a machine who puts me onto sales no matter what answers I give. The guy in sales listens and asks me how do I know(I ask ye), then he puts me onto technical support(another 10 min wait). To be fair to the guy in technical support(yes another guy from India - maybe they have only one guy working in tech support) he did seem helpful. What he said was the records showed I had been upgraded to 2MB but the line configuration had not been upgraded. He said a lot more but I did not really catch all he said. Anyway my case is being refered to the exchange and it should be fixed in a few day(yeah I Know), but I can only wait in hope. I'll give them another week and if they do not fix it or ring me back I'll be back on all guns blazing. It does seem to be more than just one oversight given that all you guys are experiencing the same problem. I wonder just what the hell is going on.

This surely is a matter for the Director of Consumer Affairs, Comreg and the ASA as Eircom are not supplying the advertised product and indeed the product they contract to supply when it is ordered either on line or over the phone.

email odca@entemp.ie , subject "Breach of contract , failure to supply upgrade and incorrectly billed for incomplete upgrade"

once they get a few of them they will harass eircom. Include your account number , name and telephone number.

Ask for a full and immediate refund by cheque for the amount you were overcharged for the product that was not supplied as described.

LOL I just got a response today to the email I sent to BB support on the 5th. Oct.! (Auto-responder said I would get a reply in 24 hrs. !!!)

The best part is the text of the email....

Thank you for contacting eircom net broadband support with your e-mail
    dated 5/10/06.

After checking your line it looks like the profile has not been set up
    properly. In order to fix the problem you need to report fault to
    Broadband Support (1890 260 260 opt 2) and they will escalate the case
    to Network Engineers.

Kind Regards,

eircom net
    Broadband Support

What kind of broadband company can't cope with an email request and needs you to phone them? Pathetic!

I can't believe that the problem is a simple one, if it is effecting so many people and they seem unable to fix it for anyone in 3 weeks.

Anybody got a plausible explanation?

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote:
    Thank you for contacting eircom net broadband support with your e-mail
    dated 5/10/06.

This email query section is in Bangalore nowadays and cannot see whats wrong because they have no access to the system , if you ring that number you may get a human in Ireland with access to the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

Just use Irish Broadband lads... I'm on the 3 down and 3 up at the moment and its sweet...

Do-more wrote:
    Anybody got a plausible explanation?

Simple:

They think they can get away with not changing the upload because we'll all be distracted by our *great* download rates

well i had enough and cancelled my eircom broadband today after having it for over 3 years .

Just got off the phone with Eircom BB support, no real answers or insight for me as to a reason for the non-upgraded upload speed.

Said his screen was showing that my line had been successfully upgraded from 1024/128 to 2048/256, but he accepted their was indeed a problem, I will say he was very polite, told me they're going to resolve the problem within the next few days, I asked if I noticed no change; call them back after the next few days (asked him for a time estimate, he just said the next "few days" again)

So I'll let everyone here know how I get on, and whether it gets resolved or I have to call 'em back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Clover wrote:
    well i had enough and cancelled my eircom broadband today after having it for over 3 years .

Did doing this cause you any problems. When I upgraded to the bundled package they told me it was on the basis of a new 12 month contract.

Did doing this cause you any problems. When I upgraded to the bundled package they told me it was on the basis of a new 12 month contract.

no not at all , they just told me it should be gone in the next 24 hours and to keep the wireless netopia router as i was with them for over 12 months , which i thought was rather nice of them as i bought it of them when they had a special offer on it .

i was going to stay with them a bit longer but i got fed up with nothing getting done about the problem and in the time it's taken them to do nothing about it i got ntl broadband installed and thats all set up and running fine .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

eircom are pretty crap alright.
    i have the 3mb connection and on the fastes servers the fastest i can download it about 1.6 megs, and that lasts for about 10% of the download, constantly dropping as itprogresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 a line failure

Clover wrote:
    well i had enough and cancelled my eircom broadband today after having it for over 3 years.
    Congratulation's.:D
    As a monopoly that keeps us from obtaining what is an almost necessity in the rest of the developed world, I believe people should use anybody but eircom for there broadband (and phone for that matter).

• Registered Users Posts: 39 BooShank

Long time lurker here.

Just got connected to Eircom Home Plus and I too have the problem with upload speed.

Can I ask if any of the original posters with this issue have had it resolved and what is the best information to provide to Eircom with a view to getting the issue sorted as soon as possible ?

I still have the problem after three weeks of harassing Eircom BB support, so that certainly doesn't appear to be the way to get the matter resolved!

Would be delighted to hear if even just one person has had the issue resolved....

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Having been unable to avail of Smart's upgrade recently, it seems that the problem is with crappy phone lines; if the line has too much interference on it, the router will sync to the fastest stable speed.

Essentially, if the above is the problem, you'd need a complete new line from your house to the exchange.....

Liam Byrne wrote:
    Having been unable to avail of Smart's upgrade recently, it seems that the problem is with crappy phone lines; if the line has too much interference on it, the router will sync to the fastest stable speed.

Essentially, if the above is the problem, you'd need a complete new line from your house to the exchange.....

I'm waiting on Eircom to fix the problem as they've told me they would, but if for some reason they can't I'm thinking that's the answer they're going to give me :(

...except I've been on a 2048/256 package before with them, and had no problem with my upload speed then, hehe :cool: so they better not give me that excuse or I'll let them have it :D

Liam Byrne wrote:

The fact that so many people have exactly the same problem with no apparent impact on their download speed means that it is virtually certainly an Eircom problem.

Threaten them with Comreg and the direct of Consumer affairs and the asa for not supplying the advertised product.

• Advertisement

aob wrote:
    ...except I've been on a 2048/256 package before with them, and had no problem with my upload speed then, hehe :cool: so they better not give me that excuse or I'll let them have it :D

Same here, back at the last "free upgrade" price reduction! So I know it's not a line fault....

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement