Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

importing

Options
  • 16-10-2006 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Living in the UK for a few years, and just bought a 3yr old Focus (£6500) low mileage (<5000).
    Looking at returning to Ireland for good in about a month's time, so will not have owned the car abroad for the 6months necessary to legally avoid the VRT.
    I guess though if I can maintain a UK address, I could prob drive around in Ireland for 6 months on English plates before re-registering th car?
    At the end of the 6 months would I have to take the car out of the country, and re-import it to avoid the VRT?

thx
    PJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

pj9999 wrote:
    I guess though if I can maintain a UK address, I could prob drive around in Ireland for 6 months on English plates before re-registering th car?
    At the end of the 6 months would I have to take the car out of the country, and re-import it to avoid the VRT?

thx
    PJ
    Revenue will need a lot more than just a UK address - you will have to prove that you were actually living in the UK and using the car there for the 6 months. In practise, it is impossible to "prove" that you were there without the kind of things you would have if you actually were living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

As you have been genuinely living in the UK for a while and the car is relativly low value it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Keep your UK mobile active, make a few calls here and there, don't close your UK bank account. Have a friends address that you have been 'renting', send the phone bills and account statements there. Keep your UK Tax and Insurance up to date. After 6 months of being home take the ferry to hollyhead and back in the one day and declare the car .. you shouldn't have a problem.

your problem could be with the customs here, while you are driving on UK plates ... all it takes is a nosey neighbour, a small tip in a car park or getting caught sneeking up the bus lane and you are then driving an illegal car, which could be confiscated.

Advertisement