Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yet another "What to do with my job!"

• 16-10-2006 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭

I have a good job in the ifsc, half IT and half business admin. Getting this job was fantastic for me as it was a 50% pay raise from my last job. The work is easy and most of tasks, while they take a while to complete, are not altogether taxing.

The problem is that i'm completely bored out of my tree! My degree is in Software Development and i've know for ages that IT is not for me but still I find myself stuck in a rut where the money and convienence have just gotten too comfortable for me to want to move. I'm over qualified for what I'm doing and I dont mean that in a snobby way but I could get away with having an ECDL cert rather than a degree. The only step up is into my bosses shoes and I'd hate to have his job as it seems to be driving him slowly mad.

I've been here over 6 months eventhough after 2 I was almost running out the door. I'd probably leave in the morning if I knew what kinda work i wanted to get into. I'm more of a people person and this job has only small levels of contact.

Are there any other ppl stuck in a job because of the wages? How do I figure out what next to do? Ahhhh ...... :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Slowly going mental, dublindude. People will probably suggest you join a club or a society of some sort. Might be an idea, but really it seems you'd prefer a JOB that had to do with people.
    Given your qualifications and interests, I don't know what that job might be, but have you any ideas yourself? Must be something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭danindublin

chamlis wrote:
    Slowly going mental, dublindude. People will probably suggest you join a club or a society of some sort. Might be an idea, but really it seems you'd prefer a JOB that had to do with people.
    Given your qualifications and interests, I don't know what that job might be, but have you any ideas yourself? Must be something.

I have plenty of interests outside work, infact it probably the only time i get to do fec* all! I've no probs re-training, im only 24 so i'll just have to get over the back to study thing and get on with it.

I like the idea of psychology and started doing a degree through the OU but realistically its going to be years before that can become a job.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi Dan in Dublin,
    I know exactly what you mean. I've been in a job for nearly two years now and yes the main reason i have stayed is because of money. I don't hate the work mind you i just find it mentally unchallenging.

But over the last few months i have decided to go back to college to study psychology. I have an arts degree but that doesn't qualify me for much so it's a case of just biting the bullet and starting over again so to speak. I'm 25 by the way so a year older than you.

I don;t know if you are aware but because you have a primary degree already you can change your career path quicker by doing a higher diploma or a postgraduate course depending of course on what you want to do. There is a higher diploma in psychology which takes two years and you will have the equivalent of a degree once finished. I know it will take a few years to get there but you will be working for the rest of your life after that so why not!!

Anyway hope that helps you!!

Advertisement