Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Eggcorns

Options
  • 16-10-2006 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭

Interesting little article that I found in New Scientist magazine, issued 26th of August 2006. There is no name on the piece.
    Do you get "boggled down" trying to explain things in "lame man's terms"? When the "chickens come home to roast" do you find yourself "cutting off your nose despite your face"? Do these errors make you want to "kill over and die"? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you have laid and eggcorn.

Eggcorns - derived from a misspelling of "acorn" - are a particular type of language error. Though incorrect, eggcorns are often more satisfying or poetic than the correct word or expression. If you didn't know how to spell "acorn", then "eggcorn" is a logical and satisfying alternative. A layman is certainly lame compared with an expert, and chickens are as likely to roast as roost. What distinguishes such a mistake from an ordinary malaprop - a word that is unintentionally misused through confusion with one that sounds similar - is the creativity and logic behind them. Eggcorns make sense at some level. Since they were first described in 2003, linguists have been greedily collecting them.
    The Eggcorn Database, launched in February last year, already contains more than 560 examples.

What can we learn from eggcorns? Far from being insignificant errors. eggcorns show how people connect what they have heard with what they know, and they demonstrate one way that standard spelling evolves. Dictionaries contain many words that have been shaped by popular use in an eggcorn - like fashion. "Straight-laced" and "just desserts", for example, are now used more often than their original incarnations, "strait laced" and "just deserts", and "hone in on" can be an accepted variation of "home in on".

Eggcorns often involve replacing an unfamiliar or archaic word with a more common one, such as "old-timers" disease instead of Alzheimer's. Foreign words are particularly ripe for eggcorning, as people attempt to find some meaning to incomprehensible terms. "Cole slaw" got it's name from the Dutch words for cabbage salad, but as it is served cold, many English speakers have turned it into "cold slaw". Likewise, the US Peace Corps is often referred to as the Peace Core.

Will eggcorns like these continue to hatch? This is a moot point (or is that mute point?). While the fluidity of the web allows new spellings to propagate more readily than in the printed form, the huge number of reference books and dictionaries available today tend to fix particular spellings. Anyone waiting with "baited (bated) breath for "wholescale" (wholesale) changes may have to wait a while.

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Brilliant!

I have made so many of those mistakes! I really have to read through that database in full! There are only 560 of them, and I'm taking a five-minute study break. So I should be a shoe-in (shoo-in) to get through them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Haha, that made me laugh! I must have a look through that database when I get a chance! Nice find, peachy.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I must be more obsessive than I thought - I've never made any of those mistakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055108139
    monument wrote:
    There looks also to be a nearly anti-bus sediment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Jaysus.... Every Dub worth his salt(sohlt) has fcuked up these terms.

I have lost track of the times my Doooob friends screw up on these terms and show themselves up .

Is this a Dublin thing or are these Spoonerisms rampant throughout the whole of Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement