Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Second hand car independent assessment

Options
  • 16-10-2006 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

I recently bought a 01 VW Golf 1.4L petrol that I am not totally happy with, from a VW garage. The main problem I've had with it is the engine 'pinking' when under any stress. However after being back to the garage three times with it, they tell me that this is not a problem.

I would like to get an independent assessment done at another garage while it is still under warranty for piece of mind to make sure that everything is ok.

Is there anywhere in the Cork/Limerick area where I could get this done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ebowdia wrote:
    I recently bought a 01 VW Golf 1.4L petrol that I am not totally happy with, from a VW garage. The main problem I've had with it is the engine 'pinking' when under any stress. However after being back to the garage three times with it, they tell me that this is not a problem.

I would like to get an independent assessment done at another garage while it is still under warranty for piece of mind to make sure that everything is ok.

Is there anywhere in the Cork/Limerick area where I could get this done?

You could take it to different VW dealer:

Frank Hogan, Dublin Road, Limerick City.
    Newcastle West Autos, Gortboy, Newcaste West, Co. Limerick.
    Newmarket Motors, Main Street, Newmarket, Co. Cork
    Turners Cross Motors, Kinsale Road, Cork City.
    Blackwater Motors, Dublin Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd agree with bazz26. But I'd steer well clear of Frank Hogans and Turners Cross - I continually have bad experiences with them. Newcastle West Autos are probably the most efficient and pleasant VW dealer in the country - so that would be my first choice.

However, the warranty that you have with your recently purchased Golf is not VW warranty - it's a dealer warranty so bringing it elswhere will be at your own expense.

I've a VW Bora 1.4 which suffers from piston slap (for 3 years now) and I know of a few other VW 1.4 models with this problem. I'm just wondering it is possible that it's piston slap rather than pinking?

I assume you're using the right grade of petrol - the minimum RON is printed on the inside of the fuel filler flap.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭ebowdia

Thanks for the replies guys. Another VW dealer it is then. Any idea how much this would cost? Do I want a full car check, or should I get them just to investigate this problem?

The car is a standard 1.4 petrol, so I assume standard unleaded petrol is ok? I'll check the min RON after work. I'll also investigate piston slap after I google it first.

With the current problem, when the engine is under any kind of stress - eg going uphill at lowish revs, there is what I would call a possible rattling or vibrating sound from either the engine or underneath the car, I can't be sure where exactly. This problem is easily reproduced by driving along a slight incline on a narrow country road for example, with walls and bushes nearby on either side. If I wind down the window, clear as day would be hear the sound as it reverberates off the walls etc. I've had two mechanics from the garage take the car for a spin and they have identified the sound as pinking.

First mechanic checked the ECU to make sure everything was ok - said it was, and updated the software to see if it would make any difference - it didn't. Second mechanic, a week later identified the pinking again, he gave the car the once over and said that there is nothing that he can see wrong with it, and that the pinking is no big deal............

I'm not happy with the car now - especially when all seemed perfect!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd imagine it may cost a couple of hours labour. IMO, I'd say nothing (or at least very little) about the previous attempt at repair in the other dealer - just in case they "don't want to get involved".

Advertisement