Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Unlimited Data roaming add-on launched

Options
  • 16-10-2006 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭

I haven't found any mention in the press, but Vodafone has quietly launched a roaming "add-on" (similar to "Passport") for Vodafone Unlimited Data customers.

It's €90.75 (75 excluding VAT) a month. The add-on allows you to roam in almost any country worldwide while still enjoying unlimited data, even far away places like Japan, and Austria where Vodafone don't even have their own network. The only major country not on the list is the US. There's no contract on the add-on, so you can take it for a single month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Nice, except I'd imagine their "unlimited" would be very limited (even at those prices) on non-Vodafone networks worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

interesting... have you got a link to it on the Voda website by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

They haven't updated the roaming prices on their web site yet. It's definitely available now, though. You can add it to your account by calling customer service. Bear in mind that they can only add it from your next billing date onwards, so plan ahead. When you return to Ireland, call them and ask them to take it off again. That way, you only have to pay for one month (or however long you're away).

Just to be clear and to avoid confusion, I should stress that the €90.75 is in addition to the €49 you're already paying. I want to be particularly clear about this because if you order the service, you might be told that it's only "20-30 more", which is not the case.

In my mind, this is a smart move by Vodafone (no pun intended). While it's still pricey, it's just barely affordable enough that Vodafone will be getting my money for it. So they will be getting €90.75 from me several times a year, whereas before they would have got nothing, and my data card would have stayed at home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

€49 includes vat so for a business user it would be €40.50 + €75 supplement.

Only last year €75 would have bought as little as 10Mbytes of data while roaming in France say (min 80c each time they used it to see if there was an email ) .

This is a big improvement and is flat rate and per month only . Fair play Voda .

Now what about the prepaid 1 month minimum contract data card , are they saying it will cost €100 a month ? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

If they are going to do prepaid data, I still think they might just follow the example of their prepaid TV subscriptions. €15 a week for as long as you subscribe to the service. No subsidised data card for ye, if you want one supply yer own or pay us full whack (e.g. €300) for one.

The reason for the 12 month contract isn't that it cannot otherwise be done for €49 a month, in fact it could be done for less. The reason is that they're giving you €300 worth of kit essentially for free.

• Advertisement
Advertisement